D1 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A real slog out at BSO yesterday with ESL's brilliant 2nd term with the breeze, slamming on 7.2.44 to take a 7 point lead, sitting us back on our heels with plenty to think about at the main break.

The Animals were true to their moniker in their attack on the footy, and only trailed by 3 1/2 goals at the final change. Fortunately, the strong 4-5 goal gale had abated to a mildly gusty 2-3 advantage, and it meant we were able to control the movement of the footy a bit better.

As the minutes ticked on, it was clear the ESL lads were getting a bit more desperate to bridge the gap (which they closed to 15 points pretty early on), and this allowed us to sneak a couple of majors through on the 'counter punch'. Scoring the last 4 goals of the game probably means the end result isn't a true reflection of how close ESL were to their 2nd win.

In the end, 44 sore and knackered guys left the ground having put on a willing, albeit unspectacular display. No doubt on their more intimate home deck ESL will thrive, as the open spaces of BSO probably didn't suit their game plan.

Still, we were pretty happy that we won the 2nd half of the game by 9.7.61 - 2.0.12. On to next week and a trip out to Friar Park. A win out there would be some small revenge for the 20 goal belting we received in rd 18 of 2007. Hopefully the result will be a tad closer this time.

Oh, and Rocky, ease off on the NOBs lads until rd 9 OK? They've played all of sideshowbob's "Big 4" already, so the 1-4 record will no doubt be 5-4 by the turn. Remember, there's daylight between them and the bottom 5 sides for sure. Lock it in.

i think regan smith (old mentonians) played very well yesterday for the Mentonian magoos. His 4 handballs were something special....

Buzz Babydoll Goldie Duck Bardoel was also rampant at the canteen and was seen conversing with several single mums.

Piza the Pisshead Gartner had a poor game due an injury cloud hanging over his head from the night before.

Mr Toad Shagga Albino Boy Tongs Wiltshire had another poor game due to suffering from an unknown groin injury. Mad Frog Wiltshires playing days at Panther Land may be numbered after being spotted with The Fist, Mr Cooper and Dicky Knee at shark park.

However i thought best afield was D Teasedale, kicking a goal from 85 metres out.
baz and others:cool:

A real slog out at BSO yesterday with ESL's brilliant 2nd term with the breeze, slamming on 7.2.44 to take a 7 point lead, sitting us back on our heels with plenty to think about at the main break.

The Animals were true to their moniker in their attack on the footy, and only trailed by 3 1/2 goals at the final change. Fortunately, the strong 4-5 goal gale had abated to a mildly gusty 2-3 advantage, and it meant we were able to control the movement of the footy a bit better.

As the minutes ticked on, it was clear the ESL lads were getting a bit more desperate to bridge the gap (which they closed to 15 points pretty early on), and this allowed us to sneak a couple of majors through on the 'counter punch'. Scoring the last 4 goals of the game probably means the end result isn't a true reflection of how close ESL were to their 2nd win.

In the end, 44 sore and knackered guys left the ground having put on a willing, albeit unspectacular display. No doubt on their more intimate home deck ESL will thrive, as the open spaces of BSO probably didn't suit their game plan.

Still, we were pretty happy that we won the 2nd half of the game by 9.7.61 - 2.0.12. On to next week and a trip out to Friar Park. A win out there would be some small revenge for the 20 goal belting we received in rd 18 of 2007. Hopefully the result will be a tad closer this time.

Well what can you say. Everything but the results was good at BSO!!

Compliments to the Roys who outplayed us exactly as Scribe suggests and actually dominated the last quarter.

Their post game speeches were pretty impressive too - the president and coaches comments were very well organised and good to see.

I did observe quite a few touches for Scribe here who was an integral part of the Roys midfield and certainly did his part in the win. My ltd knowledge also suggest that the Roys might be 5 or 6 players short of a full team so dont underestimate their good form.

The gun show from Jimmy Taylor stayed beneath the long sleeves for another week..

More seriously its very fair to say the Animals are really hurting falling to the bottom of the ladder. We are having a real dip but not getting results.

But we will keep improving and I think we can get a few wins soon.

Without hesitation, D1 is much better football and challenging than some "softer outings" in just one grade below and we will definitely be trying to lift our work rate to a winning level in this comp.

Well done to the Roys - they are well placed to challenge and contend this year with the other heavyweight.

Terrific last term from Rupo yesterday. The game cerainly wasn't as lopsided as the scoreboard suggests. Gags was sensational with 6 big ones for the afternoon. Some interesting results from yesterday, the season is certainly wide open.

Another fine result for the Friars against OM, nearly time to start planning for 2010, although will want to improve if 2010 will still be in D1

Thanks ed your support is much welcomed???

24 injuries at the monastery have really hurt us but our depth is good and we weren't far off yesterday!! OM big and play their ground well but we were stiff particularly in the last when a crucial decision turned a Friar goal and back to 2 points into a OM goal and 14 points!! From there it was all down hill but the boys battled valiantly in a close game.

Listening after the game the boys are really keen to get stuck into Fitzroy next week and as much as scribe laments the last round loss it is the mid season 2007 loss at Brunswick St that several blame for derailing the 2007 season and they are looking forward to having a big go next week.

your depth must be great 24 out but OM had 8 starting ones out and you fell short by one bad umpiring decision i feel for you.....but hope you do give fraser and his mates a touch up.....because u are good at friar park...

Thanks ed your support is much welcomed???

24 injuries at the monastery have really hurt us but our depth is good and we weren't far off yesterday!! OM big and play their ground well but we were stiff particularly in the last when a crucial decision turned a Friar goal and back to 2 points into a OM goal and 14 points!! From there it was all down hill but the boys battled valiantly in a close game.

Listening after the game the boys are really keen to get stuck into Fitzroy next week and as much as scribe laments the last round loss it is the mid season 2007 loss at Brunswick St that several blame for derailing the 2007 season and they are looking forward to having a big go next week.
Trouble is in D1 the umpiring is always going to be shit

hey robbo
looking from the street plan A seems to be working ok for the ruppa
can you let us in on it and we are about to implement
plan Y and after that theres not much left

They will need tham KB.
when you sack a coach and basicallly tell him he is not up to it., then you would want to be pretty confident you have the goods? Yes??

The current guy apppointed himself( he was president at the time!!) with absolutley no process and promised the world but choked big time last year.

Whoops, please don't mention last years finals!!

No advertisement, no interviews just Terry appointing himself despite not having coached for 25 years!! Fact!

He went on a golf holiday mid year. Fact.

If, the self appointed coach, sends them to D2, he will certainly go down in history at NOBs, as he hoped he would but for different reasons.

I repeat, they have won 3 of their past 15 under the self appointed Terry Scanlon..what goes around comes around....

Imagine Terry if you send them to d2 after appointing yourself coach.???

What then??

Let's hope they can survive!

Rocky, have you played under Terry? You seem to have quite a bit of animosity towards him that's all.

NOB's have been hit with some injuries of late, i hear they even dragged a bloke up from the clubbies because he was a ruckman.

With a full side they'd have to be considering finals i'd assume?

Rocky, have you played under Terry? You seem to have quite a bit of animosity towards him that's all.

NOB's have been hit with some injuries of late, i hear they even dragged a bloke up from the clubbies because he was a ruckman.

With a full side they'd have to be considering finals i'd assume?

At 1-4 i think they'd want a full side in pretty quickly. Probably need to win about 12 games to be guaranteed finals (just a guess, im not really sure). That leaves Nobs needing to win 11 out of 13. Even with a full side, with away games against Fitzroy, Werribee, Ruperswood and OM's left they'd have to be pretty optimistic to be thinking finals.......get on the dees train and start tanking.

NOBs who will now be filthy as ever for throwing Whitefriars and South Melbourne D's games away. Will be 5-4 or 4-5 after 9 rounds - back with the pack, fighting for 2 spots with friars mentone and fitzroy

4-5 and in contention? away games against Werribee, OMs, Fitzroy and Rupertswood in the last 9 rounds....your season will be over (if not already) by round 12 after consecutive losses against Werribee and Rupertswood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aquinas V Rupertswood - by 81 points
ESL V Werribee - by 96 points
SMD V Old Mentonians - by 45 points
Prahran V NOBSPC - by 30 points
Whitefriars V Fitzroy - by 11 points

Aquinas V Rupo 84 Points
ESL V Werribee 50 Points
SMD V OM's 27 Points
Prahran V Nobs 7 Points
Whitefriars V Fitzroy 9 Points

Everyone seems to be saving time on words today

Aquinas V Rupo 44 Points
ESL V Werribee 24 Points
SMD V OM's 21 Points
Prahran V Nobs 17 Points
Whitefriars V Fitzroy 9 Points - no change

Good luck to all except Werribee

Everyone seems to be saving time on words today

Aquinas V Rupo 44 Points
ESL V Werribee 24 Points
SMD V OM's 21 Points
Prahran V Nobs 17 Points
Whitefriars V Fitzroy 9 Points - no change

Good luck to all except Werribee

Animal park is a tough place to win a game of footy Drifter. I think we might need a bit of luck to roll your boys there. you certainly have the wood over the mighty tiges at home! Might be a closer one than most tipsters think!

Good luck to all except ESL. lol.

Couple of eight point games this weekend. SMD and Friars have to win this week. Losses and poor percentages would make it pretty tough for the rest of the season. I'll tip narrow wins for both. Rupo and Werribee will roll on setting up the big clash in a few weeks time. Do Werribee have a decent ruckman? A decent key defender and key forward? I'll go for the home team in the other clash.

What a week. Strippergate, The Wallace Affair.

Rupertswood 2009. El Nino or La Nina?

Song of the week: 'Father and Son'.

can anyone settle a bet? who wears bigger shorts? Brad Johnston (WBulldogs), Jason Akermanis (WBulldogs) or #8 from Fitzroy?

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Its gotta be Scribe by a mile. Those shorts have contributed to the worldwide shortage of nylon in 2009.

C'mon Frase, visit your local draper and update pls.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. Its gotta be Scribe by a mile. Those shorts have contributed to the worldwide shortage of nylon in 2009.

C'mon Frase, visit your local draper and update pls.

D'Oh!

All of the Roys 1st XVIII, including myself, just had our shorts pulled down by a far more polished and clever Friars unit who we all know play their deck better than pretty much any other side in the comp (bar Rupo naturally ;)).

Whilst we may have won the clearances, laid plenty of effective tackles and almost matched them in inside 50s (50-45 in their favour), basically they used the ball better going forward, back their footskills to use the corridor more effectively and created far more scoring shots through hitting up the big fellas Mirabella and Cunningham.

The result down at Toorak Park is a massive boilover, and well done to the Two Blues for bouncing back so well from having the spotlight turned on their club, despite the negative publicity having nothing to do with the senior teams or the committee. This makes our last game before the break against NOBSPC enormous for both teams. A Roys win and we're 5/2, they're 1/6.

Time to invest in some new shorts, perhaps. :D

PS - great to see the Friar Park surface in fantastic condition. The sight of 3 massive water tanks and what I presume is that new fan-dangled drought tolerant grass was very welcoming. Even the centre wicket area was reasonable. Sigh - If only we were able to get that sort of thing going down at BSO. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back