D2 D2 Section 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many other forwards in front of Collins for mine Buddy, although he is still a very good player, his form this year hasn't been all that good.

Even though I respect Buddy's opinion being a valued compatriot, I agree with Akka on this one. Lat year I thought a lot of our players were undersold wheras this year no-one has had a stand out year. Even the Wood Duck had a slow start by his standards although he's starting to hit the mark now.

Its been a while since I've been posting, and this thread looks like its been bloody quiet. So lets start getting some spark back on here. We've got a ripping comp at the moment with 4 sides vying for top spot, and then another 3 sides just outside who will battle to make it, but its not out of the question.

Eltham over Yarra at home by 5 goals.
Banyule to get over OP away. Close one though. 10 points.
Therry play their home ground really well (like most good sides). And altho Willi got over the line comfortably against Westbourne, I think they are battling for form at the moment. But it does show the sign of a good side who can win when they aren't firing. Therry by 3 goals.
Game of the round with Glen Eira and Ivanhoe. Most important game for both sides for a number of years. Even though Glen Eira are at home, I think Ivanhoe will get up. Lets hope its a cracker. 4 points.
Although Peninsular blew Westbourne away in round 1 in the first quarter, I expect Westbourne to fight back at their disgustingly windy ground. But will prob fall a little shirt. Peninsula by 4 goals.

Agree with you on that one Dave. Worst place to play footy in all of d2. What a shocker.

Akka - great job.

Buddy love- how about posting your team before you criticize Akka's team?? And you answered your own question about Collins. No doubt he is a pretty good player, but I reckon his consistency has been off. Started the year well, but has faded somewhat.

Dave, to be honest with you, I don't know other players in the comp well enough to make up my own team at this stage. I'll just wait til wamba puts his team on here and then agree with him cos he should be on the money with most of it.

How about Iaconis (is that how you spell it?!) from Banyule in the forward pocket Akka? He killed the Hoes last weekend.

Dave, to be honest with you, I don't know other players in the comp well enough to make up my own team at this stage. I'll just wait til wamba puts his team on here and then agree with him cos he should be on the money with most of it.

How about Iaconis (is that how you spell it?!) from Banyule in the forward pocket Akka? He killed the Hoes last weekend.

He's had a big couple of weeks Buddy.

Not as certain about the team this year as I haven't seen a lot of Eltham or Westbourne.

Have to do some homework!!!

bit quiet from williamstown on the site these days. The preasure has been put on them this year with alot more quality teams in the competition. Also with eltham right up there clacker be interesting next 8 weeks.

bit quiet from williamstown on the site these days. The preasure has been put on them this year with alot more quality teams in the competition. Also with eltham right up there clacker be interesting next 8 weeks.

Agreed I still stand by my last post that they have been told not to post.

Huge win to Eltham on the weekend, Hayden Dillon was a cut above the rest. That boy is a monster and can seriously play.

or maybe they dont like posting after getting beat in games.........

Or maybe we don't have to post just for the sake of it? No one has been silenced. If you got a question feel free to ask it, but we can't read your mind...

Therry were good on the weekend. They played their home ground well and ran well in numbers, and we didn't get on top of it. We were always in the game, just lacked that final edge in the last quarter. Was a good hit out.

Still a lot of footy left in the season. Any other game reports from the weekend?

Still a lot of footy left in the season. Any other game reports from the weekend?

Glen Eira finally got their season going with a good win over fellow relegation contenders Ivanhoe. In an amazing goalkicking display they had 10 straight at half time and lead by 7 goals.

Ivanhoe came back hard in the third to get within 3 goals but the momentum went back to Glen Eira when a injured player getting carried off the ground turned back to run down an Ivanhoe player running into goal. They in turn went on to kick the next 6 goals for the quarter.

There was no coming back for the Hoes being 10 goals down and that margin remained the same until the final siren.

Tips this week:

Yarra Valley v Old Paradians. Bradenders 400th. Enough Said. OP’s by 10 goals.

Eltham v Banyule. Eltham very hard to beat at home as has been previously stated. Banyule are going along under the radar for mine, mainly because they are not really represented on big footy. This could go either way but I think the runners of Eltham will get them over the top. Eltham by 15 points.

Williamstown v Glen Eira. Willy are on the rebound, and play their home ground extremely well. Glen Eira are not the same side as the first part of the season, but I can’t see them winning this one. Willy by 40 points.

Peninsula v Ivanhoe. Ivanhoe really need a win, and badly with Glen Eira are breathing down their necks. Unfortunately they face one of the hardest trips in amateur footy. We were competitive with Peninsula on the weekend, but their class players in Payze, Coglan and especially Rees, stood up when their club needed them too. I can’t see them losing this one. The pirates by 35 points.

Old Westbourne v Therry Penola. Therry will be very buoyant after defeating Willy last week, whereas we are desperate for a win. Just like last week, I reckon we are a chance. On paper however, we are unbackable. Fortunately I don’t tip against my own team. OW by 1 point.

Another big weekend in D2 with some teams finally showing charachter ncluding that of my own Westbourne boys. We look like finals is out of the question but i'm just wondering if sides still see us as a potential hiccup on a saturday arvo? We think we can definetaly have some say in who makes it if not ourselves just wondering if others see us like that at all??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only hiccup I can see if they have to play u guys at home which I the worst ground the the Vafa. I can see why u guys are no good on a nice surface ground with not much wind.

Another big weekend in D2 with some teams finally showing charachter ncluding that of my own Westbourne boys. We look like finals is out of the question but i'm just wondering if sides still see us as a potential hiccup on a saturday arvo? We think we can definetaly have some say in who makes it if not ourselves just wondering if others see us like that at all??

the only hiccup I can see if they have to play u guys at home which I the worst ground the the Vafa. I can see why u guys are no good on a nice surface ground with not much wind.

Well if you have a look at the fixture MD you will see that Banyule, Yarra Valley, Eltham, and Williamstown are still to play us down at Arctic Park so hopefully a few more 'hiccups' are on the way.....

People are always looking to blame the conditions when we beat teams at home, but the fact is that a lot of teams don't come to play. My advice is to take a spoonful of concrete and harden up a little mate.

Take Peninsula for example. They came prepared for a hard game and got the four points. That is why they are the best team in the comp.

Yeh well harden up ain't the word, ask every footballer what conditions they hate the most and they will say wind everytime. Just saying its the worst ground in the ammos. And I do hope u beat all the other sides down there cause it ain't easy to win there what's so ever as u boys play ur home ground well.

come on mate harden up.

Little bit of talk about Willy guys not posting, so I will fly the flag. I do not want to come across as patronizing, but Glen Eira put up a great effort on Saturday. They really came to play, and took it up to Cys all day, obviously bouyed by their win the previous week; I reckon they will trouble some teams in the run home, especially as they look to put some space between themselves and the drop zone. Yes, we all get injuries, but Willy have had nowhere near their best 22 in over the past month or so, but that will change over coming weeks with names such as Wheeler, Lishman, Read, Sultana, Carter & Wong (who has played only 1 match this season) to return.
Bad result for Eltham at the weekend, losing at home to Banyule. I reckon that really hurts the Turtles in their bid for the finals.
Regarding Westbourne: huge win for them against a top 2 team no matter where the game was played! They are definitely difficult to beat down there at Hoppers, and yes Willy has to travel down the freeway and will not be taking them lightly.
At this stage, we at Willy are aiming for finals and finals only. Each week is a test, and this week we have Eltham, who will be smarting after their loss. But, I reckon if you can make the top 4, anything is possible come September, so the number 1 goal is to get there....

Just saying its the worst ground in the ammos.

Depends what your looking at. It may be one of the windiest, but there are far worse surfaces around than ours I assure you. There are far worse places to play footy. That comment just makes you sound like a bitter player/suppporter.

Let me know beforehand and I'll put in a request for wind to be turned off for your arrival next time mate.

I can understand your pain mysterydog. It's a little frustrating playing against one or two D2 sides that are kept in the contest by the qualities of their home ground, despite the fact they have the fitness of some of the biggest loser contestants. I guess that happens in every comp though. It's just lucky finals are played on proper footy grounds.

Yeh well harden up ain't the word, ask every footballer what conditions they hate the most and they will say wind everytime.

I would have though grassy, wet and slippery was far worse than windy!!!

Ooops I forgot, I'm not a footballer!!!

I can understand your pain mysterydog. It's a little frustrating playing against one or two D2 sides that are kept in the contest by the qualities of their home ground, despite the fact they have the fitness of some of the biggest loser contestants. I guess that happens in every comp though. It's just lucky finals are played on proper footy grounds.

Welcome Matts86. Your first and only post is a cheap shot. A perfect insight into what sort of person you are. Im not sure where the 'biggest loser contestants' comment came from, but if you look at the results, you will see that we beat Banyule, who are currently 2nd, at their home ground in round 2.

Perhaps a little research wouldn't have gone astray Matts......

Little bit of talk about Willy guys not posting, so I will fly the flag. I do not want to come across as patronizing, but Glen Eira put up a great effort on Saturday. They really came to play, and took it up to Cys all day, obviously bouyed by their win the previous week; I reckon they will trouble some teams in the run home, especially as they look to put some space between themselves and the drop zone.

Thanks The Gas.

The boys from Carnegie are still working on playing 4 qts of footy, we let opposition sides kick too many in short periods. Even in the 10 goal win against Ivanhoe we let them kick 5 in 5 minutes in the third. Were getting their though, alot more promosing than we were standing 4 weeks ago. I am expecting us to take one of the big scalps on the run home.

What a load of rubbish this is. I also hate playing in windy conditions but that's footy, you play in all sorts of conditions and the team that can deal with these differences usually comes out on top.

Surely those teams with better ground conditions have the luxury of training on these and hence have an advantage over the 'one or two' teams that don't when they come to visit these pristine grounds???? Interested in who you think these 'one or two' D2 sides are.......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back