D4 D4 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I saw you Waz,fitness level not great and you need to work on your positioning :p,as for being fun,one of the players had a crack at you,your reply,DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!:mad:,I had to have a little chuckle to myself.Pretty sure it was your own player too:eek:
Keep going mate,it will get harder I promise,just wait till Sat.when the ressies are player for 4,the visitors will give you heeps,a very serious tip mate,push out to get square on to the contest rather than chase the players from behind,don't worry if this puts you a little further away,square on is best if you can.

Ha... yeah... I can take (some) abuse from the opposition but I won't tolerate it from my players. I'd have sent him off in a real game.

Hey Tugger, I umpired my first game last Friday night, just a praccy, its a lot easier than you fieldies make it out to be! I actually started to enjoy myself by the end!

Judas H Priest, Posty,Don't go telling everyone it's easy,you'll be in breach of the maggot code of conduct:D

Re: Round 1 Odds

I agree all 3 are short, but there's less value in backing the other guys who aren't going to win......

Very true!

A bit of competition in the betting ring is always good for the punters. SFX v Eley Park will be the game of the round in my opinion

Re: Round 1 Odds

Ahh Rooster....refused to be sucked in, to date the 'mountain' boys haven't said to much and we will remain that way.

Did manage to sit in the car and watch the Eltham/WB game on Saturday,

No news means long odds.

Didn't you make the cut in the intra-club, giving you the afternoon free to watch a D4/D3 practice game? what an eventful life!

meh... nothing good on TV so going to put in my tips for round 1.....

Richmond v Noth Brunswick (ground to be determined??) - Richmond by 1 point in an old fashioned stouch!

Box Hill v Albert Park (Beaver Mountain Reserve) - Box Hill (which used to be called simply "Hill" until all the box moved in) by 20 points.

Syndal v South Morn (Chadstone carpark) - South Morn(how come the VAFA let them into the league wearing that jumper anyway?) in blazing early season form by 5 goals.

Bulleen v Kew (Best damn ground in the VAFA) -Kew to overcome the coaches box advantage by 8 goals.

Eley Park v SFX (Great White Park) - SFX get their D4 debut off to a flying start with a 10 goal win over the man eaters.

Mt Lilydale v West Brunswick (the paddock) - 2007 D4 finalists v 2007 D3 relegation side. I'd love to say that D4 will prevail, but I think the zoo keepers will win it by 5 goals.

Lenny's Tips for Round 1

Richmond over North Brunswick by 47 points
Box Hill North over Albert Park by 26 points
South Mornington over Syndal by 15 points
St Francis over Eley Park by 41 points
West Brunswick over Mount Lilydale by 57 points
Kew over Bulleen

RM's Official Tips for Round 1

Seniors
Richmond vs North Brunswick - RC by 9 Goals
Box Hill North vs Albert Park - BHN by 1 Point.
South Mornington Vs Syndal - SM by 1 Goal
St Francis vs Eley Park - SFX by 5 Goals
West Brunswick vs Mount Lilydale - WB by 7 Goals
Kew vs Bulleen - Kew by 12 Goals

Reserves
Richmond vs North Brunswick - NB by 6 Goals
Box Hill North vs Albert Park - BHN by 1 Point.
South Mornington Vs Syndal - STH by 3 Goals
St Francis vs Eley Park - Eley Park by 2 Goals
West Brunswick vs Mount Lilydale - WB by 4 Goals
Kew vs Bulleen - Kew by 8 Goals

Just a general question for the white maggots;), if a ball that has been kicked at goal strikes the goal post, and the goal ump signals for a goal, but the field umpire can clearly see, and does see that it hit the post, can the fieldy overrule the goalie?

Just a general question for the white maggots;), if a ball that has been kicked at goal strikes the goal post, and the goal ump signals for a goal, but the field umpire can clearly see, and does see that it hit the post, can the fieldy overrule the goalie?

The field umpire can change the decision.

The Crunch's Tips

West Brunswick by 714 points
St Francis by 516 points
Albert Park by 8 points
Kew by 33 points
Richmond by 150 points
Syndal by 6 points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The goal umpires decision is final. The field umpire can ask that the goal umpire be replaced, but can't overrule them.

We had a shocker in one game last year. Everyone knew it was clearly a point and it was given a goal by a reserves player from the same club. Changed the whole trend of the game. Earlier in the year, one of our players kicked one and the goal umpire called it a point - we lost by 4 points, I think, that game.

The second one was an error - no foul play is being suggested- but its hard to take when that happens in the final minutes and you lose by under a kick.

Big night had by all at the VAFA opening night. Great to meet some of the fellow D4 punters.

Soon to be announced D4 scribe Big Waz attended and had the pen and paper burning and must be collating and doing a final perusal over a report from last night.

Highlights had to be:

1. David Parkin almost blowing up after 5 mins of his passionate speech.

2. Eley Park's feature in the footy flashbacks to the 1999 D4 final against AP. The film started of with a serious touch, the further it went on the worst the jokes and the heads got.

Sorry to inject a note of reality...

A field umpire can overrule a club goalie. Rule 8.1.2.b in black and white.

The captain of the hard-done-by side can complain to the field umpire about about incidents as described, and if the field umpire sees it happen again can demand the club goalie be replaced "at the next appropriate break in play" which generally means the end of the quarter but gives some leeway for earlier replacement if the "mistakes" were actually blatant enough to be called "cheating."

In the end its up to the fieldie how strict they are about this - I've heard more than one ump say "its hard enough getting club umps, I'll never overrule one but if they're blatantly cheating I'll ask for them to be replaced" - might be correct but in my view its a soft option. Whatever the fieldie does in a disputed call is going to piss off exactly 50% of the players and supporters, so he might as well get the score right while doing so.

And if the fieldie is unclear and the goalie is uncertain or in no position to give a decision (eg ball above the post and the goalie was lounging on the fence between goals) - then the lesser score (including out of bounds) must be paid.

The goal umpires decision is final. The field umpire can ask that the goal umpire be replaced, but can't overrule them.

Not sure thats correct Waz. I remember a game back in my glory days when I was a gun back pocket/come bench warmer back in 2000 and we were player St Johns on what was the coldest and wetest day in Melbourne that I can recall there was an incident where the ump did reverse the decision in unusual circumtances.
The mighty centrals where a couple up late in the last term and my opponent had his first kick for the game(thats how I remember it anyway) after marking from about 25 out. He had his shot and the ball clearly brushed the post. The goal umpire signalled a goal to which the field ump raised his eyebrows. I picked up the ball and believe it or not it actually had a white mark on it from hitting the post I showed this to both the goal and field umpire and the field ump changed the decision. I think he would have regardless of the mark on the ball but the point is he did change the decision.

Not sure thats correct Waz. I remember a game back in my glory days when I was a gun back pocket/come bench warmer back in 2000 and we were player St Johns on what was the coldest and wetest day in Melbourne that I can recall there was an incident where the ump did reverse the decision in unusual circumtances.
The mighty centrals where a couple up late in the last term and my opponent had his first kick for the game(thats how I remember it anyway) after marking from about 25 out. He had his shot and the ball clearly brushed the post. The goal umpire signalled a goal to which the field ump raised his eyebrows. I picked up the ball and believe it or not it actually had a white mark on it from hitting the post I showed this to both the goal and field umpire and the field ump changed the decision. I think he would have regardless of the mark on the ball but the point is he did change the decision.

What I was told is that the field umpire can question the goal umpires decision, and try to influence the goal umpire to change their mind (in the nicest possible way!) However, if the goalie sticks to his guns there isn't much that can be done. They are in the best position to make a call after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back