Coach Daisy Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, some interesting viewpoints.

My take is that I don't care if she is male, female, LBQTXYZ or whatever. If the Club think she is up for it then good on her.

FWIW I didn't see the value in Eddie Betts when his role was first announced but I'll bet the Club would have him back in a heartbeat if it could.
The most telling thing is that people are criticising her qualifications for her role when they have absolutely NFI what her role actually is.

Probably a point of interest because the person involved is pioneering the inclusion of her gender in the men's AFL.

It's something not seen before.
Yeah, that's awesome. I am in full support and I'm sure in 20 years we'll be proud to tell people about it. Right now though there's no new information on an appointment made 6 months ago.

Just treat her like any other development coach, which means forgetting she's there most of the time

Yeah, that's awesome. I am in full support and I'm sure in 20 years we'll be proud to tell people about it. Right now though there's no new information on an appointment made 6 months ago.

Just treat her like any other development coach, which means forgetting she's there most of the time

Re-newed interest I suppose given the cross reference to a similar story in the US.

They care because she's a woman.

Embarrassing.

We should take pride in the fact the Cats aren't as backwards as some of us supporters.
Agree, lots to be proud of with this club. To be fair, there's a lot of really positive and supportive comments on here. But, yeah, the rest are embarrassing.

They care because she's a woman.

Embarrassing.

We should take pride in the fact the Cats aren't as backwards as some of us supporters.
On one hand you don’t want people to judge her because of her gender and then on the other hand you want her to be defended from any criticism because of her gender

You can see how that’s abit hypocritical

And in no way am I saying I’m judging her on her gender , just pointing out the hypocritical nature of this thread in general

On one hand you don’t want people to judge her because of her gender and then on the other hand you want her to be defended from any criticism because of her gender

You can see how that’s abit hypocritical

And in no way am I saying I’m judging her on her gender , just pointing out the hypocritical nature of this thread in general

How's this thread hypocritical?

Until the last 1.5 pages of this thread, this thread followed the same tone of other recent assistant coach appointments in Grigg & Betts - there was a lot of support for her appointment, interest in what her role could entail & how that may develop over her time at the club

It's really only been the last page or so where Daisy's gender has come into things & at the same time, questions about her appointment & "what could she bring" - two factors that didn't seem to matter with other recent appointments that following retirement walked straight into assistant coaching roles with our club

How's this thread hypocritical?

Until the last 1.5 pages of this thread, this thread followed the same tone of other recent assistant coach appointments in Grigg & Betts - there was a lot of support for her appointment, interest in what her role could entail & how that may develop over her time at the club

It's really only been the last page or so where Daisy's gender has come into things & at the same time, questions about her appointment & "what could she bring" - two factors that didn't seem to matter with other recent appointments that following retirement walked straight into assistant coaching roles with our club
You can’t advocate that she can’t be judged on something and then use the same criteria to defend her

Hence the hypocrisy comment

I feel there is balance to be found here.

Generally I feel employing based on what they are employed to do is fundamental imo ... yet opportunity given to areas of society previous excluded can have the affect to balance an unjust distribution of prosperity and make society better for all.

The inputs that go into a great organisation like a footy club are varied..and sometimes seemingly insignificant or perhaps even wasteful ..and what works in one clubs is not always transferable. Feeling good about being in the club must be the goal, and the environment of success in made from the key components but mainly the components all revolve around the people. For example , why are some players kept for so long in a club..when their output is seemingly marginal. Probably multiple reasons but maybe they add something not always obvious. Assertive contentment, where all perform at a high level within a state of mental satisfaction must be hard to maintain, the last thing anyone wants is to dread going to work. Talent or not ...elite performance is more than just talent

How much value is placed on a special component. Hard to judge. What makes that special environment? What make it better than another environment? I feel great organisations are alwasys look for that new something that can give them an edge. Sometimes its minor. Sometimes wacky .Sometimes...in post assessment one wonders why anyone questioned in the first place.

I love "The Natural" ... the baseball movie. At one moment a player sees another player, Hobbs(RRedford), has a lightning bolt on his bat. He say he likes ..and makes a badge and puts it on his own uniform..and what follows is the mental infection of confidence. He starts hitting ball.The next scenes shows all players have now added a Lightning badge to their uniform.
I see Matty Rowell eating grass... and if I was his team mate or coach..instead of asking "why"..I say "why not"... and if it works for him ..why not me. If one only copies other organisations success, pretty good chance your are only a photocopy... which, in some from, is less than the original.

The search the next difference making has to take in other obvious successful inputs but it must look at thing that are new and to some degree fringe. These little inputs can come from anywhere. Often from a source not harvested before.... I see Collingwood getting the player of a mother giving a pre-game revup on mother day ... who can say it was right or wrong... but its an input which might add something. In this industry the difference between winning and not is so small.... the why not.

I'd say there are bound to be observations, knowledge and inputs that a female may be able to add that I never would. Doesn't mean I would not challenge them but ..also give them a chance ..of a "why not" . Who knows what that may be... and in this case. with Daisy, its costing us nothing. Its a subsidised position. In addition to that, she has a acknowledge football background, and the playing groups emotional lift from her being part of their group might give them something by allowing them to think they are playing a role in something bigger than self... the opportunity to allow access to a chance prosperity to someone previous denied.

In the end... instead of asking why ... I say Why not. Little to lose and who knows what in inside the club gain .. and how that can help to continue to add to a culture of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Named West Coast AFLW coach. Not sure what that means for her role at Geelong
Clearly done, at least for now. See the media release below...

"The decision to leave Geelong was a difficult one and I want to thank the club for everything they have done for me over the last twelve months," Pearce said.

I wonder how much AFLW coaches make. I wouldn't have thought a lot. Season is not that long so I suppose would base herself out of Melbourne still for most of the year to keep her C7 contract.

Sounds like she's relocating to me...

"It has come at the right time for me and this is a role and a move that my family and I are going to embrace."

I wonder how much AFLW coaches make. I wouldn't have thought a lot. Season is not that long so I suppose would base herself out of Melbourne still for most of the year to keep her C7 contract.
Season isn’t that long your right but coaches tend to spend a lot more time than just in season.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see her being a boundary rider or special comments for Perth games.
But her days in the media in Melbourne are over, unless in the future she returns to Melbourne

Season isn’t that long your right but coaches tend to spend a lot more time than just in season.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see her being a boundary rider or special comments for Perth games.
But her days in the media in Melbourne are over, unless in the future she returns to Melbourne
Dennis Cometti was Perth based for his whole career I think. Lots of frequent flyer points though!

I wouldn't be surprised if the issues around clubs not wanting to give her access to the rooms caused problems with the media side and that probably paid much better than a junior assistant gig.

Dennis Cometti was Perth based for his whole career I think. Lots of frequent flyer points though!

I wouldn't be surprised if the issues around clubs not wanting to give her access to the rooms caused problems with the media side and that probably paid much better than a junior assistant gig.
But if she’s coaching WC Women’s she will have unlimited access into the rooms game day for the Men’s.
It all depends on some clubs, not all clubs had an issue with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back