Rumour Damian Barrett to be axed from CH 9

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is true, Thank f***

I don't understand the love for this guy. People say that even though he is a bit of an awkward person, they still argue that he is the 'number one news breaker', 'never gets it wrong' and 'is a proper journalist in an industry where there are very few'. That is complete B.S

I have done turds with more quality than his 'Sliding Doors' columns. If you actually go read some of the stuff he says on there, it's absolute rubbish.

I don't get why everyone thinks he's an accurate journalist. He has claimed the following.

-Jason Winderlich absolutely certain to quit the Bombers (Winderlich stayed another season)
-Rodney Eade will be coach of Brisbane (Justin Lepistch got it)
-Having failed to see eye-to-eye, Neil Craig will coach Brisbane instead of Eade, with Lepistch to take over as succesor (nope, Craig never went to Brisbane)
-James Hird will not be coach of Essendon in 2015 (he's still here)
-Mitch Clark was abused by Brian Lake for his depression (Clark denied it himself on twitter)

So those are his 'accurate news breaks'. Now lets look at his opinions. He has claimed before that:
-Fev should be kicking coach at Carlton (ughhhh....)
-"Calm down guys. The MRP got it 100% right on the Viney tackle" (decision overturned, Barrett proceeded to have a sook about it for the next forever)
-The Dom Tyson trade was the worst deal of the 2013 trade period, then later admitted that he'd never seen Tyson play before, gave the trade an F rating. Labelled the approach, 'scattergun' (Despite Tyson coming 2nd in Dees B and F in his first season and getting 11 Brownlow Votes, says the Dees are still struggling to win that trade)

Also loves North Melbourne to a ridiculous extent.

Why are people upset that this guy might (hopefully) be sacked?

When someone makes Craig Hutchinson look good, you know they don't deserve to be in the industry.

Does he even know what 'sliding doors' means?

Let's not forgot how he preyed on the weakest member of the (Hird) herd in Reimers and used Reimers' low IQ to ignite his ongoing agenda throughout the saga. Was a tragically transparent set-up. Then that awful, premeditated interview with Goodes before the not guilty finding where he sat there with his all-serious goofy nodding head when Goodes tried to get all pious about allowing (innocent) players to tarnish this great game. Pfft, he's not a journalist, he's a buffoon.

I don't understand the love for this guy. People say that even though he is a bit of an awkward person, they still argue that he is the 'number one news breaker', 'never gets it wrong' and 'is a proper journalist in an industry where there are very few'. That is complete B.S

I have done turds with more quality than his 'Sliding Doors' columns. If you actually go read some of the stuff he says on there, it's absolute rubbish.

I don't get why everyone thinks he's an accurate journalist. He has claimed the following.

-Jason Winderlich absolutely certain to quit the Bombers (Winderlich stayed another season)
-Having failed to see eye-to-eye, Neil Craig will coach Brisbane instead of Eade, with Lepistch to take over as succesor (nope, Craig never went to Brisbane)
-Mitch Clark was abused by Brian Lake for his depression (Clark denied it himself on twitter)

So those are his 'accurate news breaks'. Now lets look at his opinions. He has claimed before that:
-"Calm down guys. The MRP got it 100% right on the Viney tackle" (decision overturned, Barrett proceeded to have a sook about it for the next forever)
-The Dom Tyson trade was the worst deal of the 2013 trade period, then later admitted that he'd never seen Tyson play before, gave the trade an F rating. Labelled the approach, 'scattergun' (Despite Tyson coming 2nd in Dees B and F in his first season and getting 11 Brownlow Votes, says the Dees are still struggling to win that trade)

When someone makes Craig Hutchinson look good, you know they don't deserve to be in the industry.
Post of the year!!!

You never know. I was in Thailand a couple of weeks ago and to my surprise picked up the Hawthorn v Geelong game in my hotel room :)
Yeah we get a watered down version of the old Australia tv now called A+, a few games on the weekend but non of the footy shows. I luckily have a season pass to stream the games live though.

Let's not forget we also got Christian Salem in that trade, who's an absolute gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see the Sunday Footy Show?

He says something like; "now we're going to cut to some footage that paints a very dark and bleak picture of what's happening at the Suns right now".

And it just cuts to a video of Rodney Eade talking with his Assistants and others in Football Department in the rooms after the game. He then goes on to say how much of a hole they're in and that video paints such a bleak image for the club.

They're just talking Damo, shut up.

Didn't see anything wrong with this. It's Round 2 and they were holding serious talks after a loss against another team they just expected to smack. It did paint a bleak picture for the club. They were standing around with "wtf" expressions on their faces like they had no idea what happened or where to go next.

I hate journalism but I like Barrett. But perhaps that's just because he's a coherent person in a world of complete neanderthals and sounds like ****ing Einstein compared to anyone else on any show he speaks on.

In regards to him blocking people on twitter.. his job is to make you think and talk about the pointless shit he brings up, not to entertain your opinion of it. He probably doesn't care about the actual story at all.

What'd he do?

He went with the news of an unfounded allegation. Consequently, Brian Lake has had his livelihood ruined and his name dragged through the mud.
I was hoping that Lake would pursue legal action, but I imagine that Hawthorn simply didn't want the distraction.
Damien Barrett should hang his head in shame, this is unaccountable journalism and it is simply unacceptable.
We the public should DEMAND Barrett be removed from his position at channel 9 - and as a journalist in general.

Di
He went with the news of an unfounded allegation. Consequently, Brian Lake has had his livelihood ruined and his name dragged through the mud.
I was hoping that Lake would pursue legal action, but I imagine that Hawthorn simply didn't want the distraction.
Damien Barrett should hang his head in shame, this is unaccountable journalism and it is simply unacceptable.
We the public should DEMAND Barrett be removed from his position at channel 9 - and as a journalist in general.
Did he actually name lake?

I might be remembering wrong but didn't Barrett say something about how he would have never revealed the 2 players names he received, but because someone else decided to drop Lake's name he came out with what he knew too? He didn't reveal the other persons name IIRC. I sound like a Barrett fanboy here but just trying to clear up what I heard.

Di

Did he actually name lake?

Not directly, it was sneaky journalism. It was a conversation that he should've had with Gibson in private.
It wasn't hard to rule out the backline on live TV, once Gibson said it wasn't him, we knew it wasn't Frawley.
Lake was named the very next day. This was VERY unfair on Brian Lake.
Purple went with a story that had no basis to it at all, the likelihood of it being false - was higher than it being true.
As a result, Brian Lake had his life turned upside down.

Livelihood ruined? That's a bit over the top. He's still a professional footballer, he still gets paid. His livelihood is still intact.

Unlike most people, I don't buy into the poor Brian routine. Brian has plenty of history of being a mongrel, why would we be surprised if he said something to Clark? If you look at who was nearby, Lake is the most likely culprit. I get that there's no proof, but the righteous indignation about Brian Lake is ridiculous. He didn't have a good reputation to start with - apart from being a damn good full back.

In summary, Brian will be fine. And he'll probably be very careful about what he says on the field from now on whether he did it or not.

Does he even know what 'sliding doors' means?
I don't understand how this happens - it's baffling enough that he doesn't know what sliding doors means, let alone that he would write a column with that for a name, and be paid for it, and that his editor didn't pull him up and say 'hang on, literally nothing of what you've written could be classified as sliding doors, you're just writing a sentence with an ellipses in the middle.'

IF Josh Kennedy kicks 10 goals again this week... Then he'll probably still be winning the goalkicking
IF Sydney wins this week ...Then they'll have won three weeks in a row
IF Daniel Rich is a dog man... Then he might want to pop into Woolies since Pal is on special
IF any young footy players have acne... Then they should use some clearacil in case their faces gets all pocked marked and shit

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Damian Barrett to be axed from CH 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back