Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Really can't see Houston landing at North Melbourne.

No doubt the Roos would be keen on him but I suspect above all else they're being used as a 3rd party to keep Carlton honest at the negotiating table. They have the most to offer out of all Victorian clubs.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it a thousand times over the next few weeks, but if he does leave I feel he ends up at Carlton.
Agree Carlton’s got the competitive advantages on enticing the player.

But how much higher would they go on satisfying Port than pick 12 (assuming they can get it from GC), or their own pick 11? That’s the question.

But how much higher would they go on satisfying Port than pick 12 (assuming they can get it from GC), or their own pick 11? That’s the question.
Wouldn't have thought we would go any higher. As handy as he'd be for us, I'd like to think we've learned our lesson on putting too many eggs in a basket.

Can you give me an example of when this has happened?
When has a player ever said “I love the club and if a deal can’t be done I am happy to come back.”

You want examples of contracted players not getting to their club of interest? Nearly every year. They return to their club

All port can do is get the best deals, present them to Dan, and say it’s this club or you stay. Then Dan who is contacted for 4 years can decide.

Of course if Dan officially nominates a club then the club will try to work with them. But if it breaks down then it may come down to “stay at port or join this other vic club, you decide Dan“.

As i said earlier before Ralph's article, i can def see Houston at North.

Port apparently have Houston on a very favourable contract to them for another 3 years. Houston wants to get back to melbourne and a much better contract now that he's added AA's to his CV.

Port have all the power over Houston. He "may" prefer Carlton, but i just don't see how Carlton can in any way match North on trade or contract.

Port just say to Dan and his Manager, look, we want to keep our Dual AA on his 3 more year non AA contract, but, North are offering us THIS, and they are offering you THIS. If you would like to break this contract mate and get back to Melbourne as a rightly highly paid AA player, North is your destination.

This one just doesn't work for Carlton i don't think. But it does work for North, Port and Houston. North are in a position to pay up, and Port are in a position to demand to be paid. There is def goodwill between Houston and Port. They will get him to Melbourne on a much better contract. He will get Port their payday. North get a gun in the right age bracket that will give them a perfectly timed shot in the arm.

IMO.

No doubt the Roos would be keen on him but I suspect above all else they're being used as a 3rd party to keep Carlton honest at the negotiating table. They have the most to offer out of all Victorian clubs.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it a thousand times over the next few weeks, but if he does leave I feel he ends up at Carlton.

I think you’re on the money, if he doesn’t end up at the Blues I’d be surprised.

That's exactly what is happening.

As said earlier before Ralph's article, i can def see Houston at North.

Port apparently have Houston on a very favourable contract to them for another 3 years. Houston wants to get back to melbourne and a much better contract now that he's added AA's to his CV.

Port have all the power over Houston. He "may" prefer Carlton, but i just don't see how Carlton can in any way match North on trade or contract.

Port just say to Dan and his Manager, look, we want to keep our Dual AA on his 3 more year non AA contract, but, North are offering us THIS, and they are offering you THIS. If you would like to break this contract mate and get back to Melbourne as a rightly highly paid AA player, North is your destination.

This one just doesn't work for Carlton i don't think. But it does work for North, Port and Houston. North are in a position to pay up, and Port are in a position to demand to be paid. There is def goodwill between Houston and Port. They will get him to Melbourne on a much better contract. He will get Port their payday. North get a gun in the right age bracket that will give them a perfectly timed shot in the arm.

IMO.
I wish I had your confidence, but nevertheless I found your post to be a most enjoyable read.

I don't think it makes much difference which club Houston would prefer out of Blues and North if going to VIC is his main priority. Port will just try to get the best deal they can and then go to Houston with this is your option to trade or you can stay

Thats fair but i think he will choose staying over north melbourne.

I don't know. It will be interesting to see what happens as right now we seem to want the best of both worlds.

I see a relatively easy path to get another 1st in this draft which may open things up nicely for all concerned. But that of course requires a 3rd club to come to the table.

Ultimately I suspect he nominates Carlton and we get it done. It may not be for as much as North may have been "offering", but it'll satisfy all parties.

I think he's far more likely to stay at Port than head to North. But of course I could be wrong on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brett Deledio wanted to go to Geelong and they couldnt satisfy Richmond
GWS fot the deal done and Lids went to Giants
That's not really the same thing. Clubs always start negotiation with the player's preferred club and only move on if they can't reach agreement. The poster was suggesting Port effectively shop for the best deal then take it to Houston. Which never happens.

That's exactly what is happening.

Yeah. It's pretty common and it makes sense for all parties. But when push comes to shove I don't see North as a genuine option this time around.

Hill wanted to go to ess and ended up at the Pies.

Not in the same year. That's not a great comparison IMO.

That's not really the same thing. Clubs always start negotiation with the player's preferred club and only move on if they can't reach agreement. The poster was suggesting Port effectively shop for the best deal then take it to Houston. Which never happens.
It would be good if it did to be honest. You want to move home - you go to the club that gives the best deal!!

That's not really the same thing. Clubs always start negotiation with the player's preferred club and only move on if they can't reach agreement. The poster was suggesting Port effectively shop for the best deal then take it to Houston. Which never happens
thats exactly what I said. I said the club would work with the nominated club only to move on if it negotiations breaks down. You literally said what I said

thats exactly what I said. I said the club would work with the nominated club only to move on if it negotiations breaks down. You literally said what I said
That is how it will work (and Port will almost certainly be negotiating with Carlton). However, this exchange started in response to this nonsense...

I don't think it makes much difference which club Houston would prefer out of Blues and North if going to VIC is his main priority. Port will just try to get the best deal they can and then go to Houston with this is your option to trade or you can stay

Which is not how things work. Which was the point I was making.

That is how it will work (and Port will almost certainly be negotiating with Carlton). However, this exchange started in response to this nonsense...

That posters point and your point are nearly the exact same thing, you literally said clubs would move on to other clubs if a deal can’t be struck with the nominated club.

I don’t see how what he is saying and what you have said is very different.

Both you and him would end up at the same conclusion of going to Houston and saying these are your options “other club or stay”

Every situation is different. Port Adelaide can just easily say we are not trading you and that's the end of the discussion but if a team like North can offer them a good trade they will take that to Houston and say if you want to go you can go here otherwise we will keep you. They are definitely not being held to have to make a deal with a preferred club. Maybe if the player was out of contract but in contract is a different game

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back