Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you’re on the money, if he doesn’t end up at the Blues I’d be surprised.
Agree, north would undoubtedly have F1 next year on the table which is let’s say a 70-80% chance of being a top 3 pick.

The blues best offer would be 11 this year. It’s a weird situation for Port, in theory they should say North of nowhere. They won’t, he will go to the Blues for 11 maybe port give something back.

Players really have all the power don’t they.

Agree, north would undoubtedly have F1 next year on the table which is let’s say a 70-80% chance of being a top 3 pick.

The blues best offer would be 11 this year. It’s a weird situation for Port, in theory they should say North of nowhere. They won’t, he will go to the Blues for 11 maybe port give something back.

Players really have all the power don’t they.
Both well under what port would accept as a deal.

That's not really the same thing. Clubs always start negotiation with the player's preferred club and only move on if they can't reach agreement. The poster was suggesting Port effectively shop for the best deal then take it to Houston. Which never happens.
This was the post you replied to
"I don't think it makes much difference which club Houston would prefer out of Blues and North if going to VIC is his main priority. Port will just try to get the best deal they can and then go to Houston with this is your option to trade or you can stay"

Almost the exact situation to the deledio situation
Lids wanted Cats , They couldnt satisfy Richmond GWS could and Richmond said if you want to move GWS is a possibility

The age also reporting its north v blues.

In-demand defender Dan Houston has asked Port Adelaide to trade him to a Victorian club.

Carlton and North Melbourne lead the race for Houston, who is contracted for four more seasons, but the Power will demand a strong return for the back-to-back All-Australian.

The Blues do not want to hand over their first-round pick this year (No.11) – preferring to offer their 2025 equivalent – but may need to budge if they are to hold off the Kangaroos, who hold the No.2 selection in a strong but midfielder-heavy top-end of the draft.

Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have also expressed interest in Houston, who has played 168 games for the Power but missed the finals while serving a five-game bump ban.

Factoring in this...

How about, as a starting point:

GC
Out: Lukosius, Pick 20
In: North F1

Port
Out: Houston, F2
In: Pick 20 (PP - technically end of first round), Lukosius

North
Out: F1
In: Houston, Port F2

Surely you aren't a North fan posting that trade. Yikes. Horrible trade scenario for North. That could be a top 2 pick.

Suspect they are just keeping us in it for leverage to get the most out of Carlton.

Carlton will end up coughing up pick 11 and deal done.
It will take more than 11.

I can see Port settling for a decent 1st and a 2nd unfortunately. But a single middle of the road first I just can't see them accepting.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Houston to North actually makes a bit of sense. A few years back I thought it strange that the rebuilding Hawks were into Amon as a free agent. And even more so that Amon would want to go to a team that was years away from contending. He's now a key part of their resurgence up the ladder- it can turn around quickly.

Houston may not be a free agent, but is a hell of a lot better player than Amon. Well worth it for North, at some point they've got to take themselves seriously and back the group they've got rather than plugging another top 5 pick mid into a seagull hb role. If Houston can replace that absolute bombscare merchant Fisher they are an immeasurably better side already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are North in their "big fish" era?
We already got Jack Darling, bud.

Im Cool Leave Me Alone GIF

This was the post you replied to
"I don't think it makes much difference which club Houston would prefer out of Blues and North if going to VIC is his main priority. Port will just try to get the best deal they can and then go to Houston with this is your option to trade or you can stay"

Almost the exact situation to the deledio situation
Lids wanted Cats , They couldnt satisfy Richmond GWS could and Richmond said if you want to move GWS is a possibility
No, it is not the same. The player always chooses a club and then negotiations start. If they fall through, then another club may be involved. It is never a club shopping a player for the best deal then going to the player with a choice of stay or go to our preferred club.

Can see Houston landing at Carlton due to existing relationship with Voss plus they are contending.

This hypothetical 4 club megatrade might get it done.

‪Port:‬

‪Out: Houston‬, F2
‪In: Lukosious, Pick 12 (GC)‬

‪Carlton:‬

‪Out: 11, F1‬
‪In: Houston‬, R2 (Fremantle)

‪Suns:‬

‪Out: Luko, Pick 12‬
‪In: F1 (Carlton)‬, Rioli

Richmond:

Out: Rioli, R2 Pick (Fremantle)
In: Pick 11 , F2 (Port)

Summary;

Port trades Houston for pick 12 which is unders IMO but get Luko for an F2 which balances it out.

Carlton gets Houston for 11 (unders by itself) but it also costs them a pick swap of their F1 into this years R2 to balance it out.

GC gets F1 (Carlton) for Luko and pays pick 12 for Rioli.

Richmond get pick 11 for Rioli and swap of Port and Fremantles F2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back