Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not what they say, it's what they'll agree to.

Carlton say: 1st and 3rd/Owies/Kennedy
Port say: 2x 1sts

Deal gets done at a first rounder and a second rounder.
If the second is high enough to form the majority of the lukosious deal I agree with you. If it’s a Carlton future second that will be mid-late 30’s I can’t see it happening.

If the second is high enough to form the majority of the lukosious deal I agree with you. If it’s a Carlton future second that will be mid-late 30’s I can’t see it happening.
We have a current second, so we could potentially use Owies or Kennedy in a trade to bring that 2nd rounder down - similar to the trade we made for Fisher last year.

So theoretically Pick 11 and (eg) Pick 25 for Houston.

Okay, but why would Port agree to that when they've got North's F1 on the table?

Even if North had to trade it out for picks this year, Port could expect to receive more than pick 11 and 31 from NM, which is the most Carlton would be able to offer, by your reckoning.

Okay, but why would Port agree to that when they've got North's F1 on the table?

Even if North had to trade it out for picks this year, Port could expect to receive more than pick 11 and 31 from NM, which is the most Carlton would be able to offer, by your reckoning.
Because North is the alternative for Houston not the preference. They will always be able to pay more than Carlton but if Carlton offer a reasonable deal it'd be incredibly unusual for Port to say no.

North aren't currently in play, so it doesn't matter what their hypothetical offer is.

Trades aren't dictated by the max amount of compensation a (different) team can pay. I'm sure Port and the Blues are negotiating behind the scenes and will either see that a trade can be arranged based on their ins and outs or Houston will stay at Port.

No houston is worth what port says he worth, whether your club wants to pay is up to them. He is contracted, he will stay unless we get a good deal

North aren't currently in play, so it doesn't matter what their hypothetical offer is.

Trades aren't dictated by the max amount of compensation a (different) team can pay. I'm sure Port and the Blues are negotiating behind the scenes and will either see that a trade can be arranged based on their ins and outs or Houston will stay at Port.
As of four days ago, Port were flat out refusing to deal with Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No houston is worth what port says he worth, whether your club wants to pay is up to them. He is contracted, he will stay unless we get a good deal
That's not how negotiating works.

Port will have a minimum amount they will be happy to accept, the Blues will have a maximum price they'll be happy to pay and up to the point both sets of list managers will scramble to get the best deal for the club.

That's not how negotiating works.

Port will have a minimum amount they will be happy to accept, the Blues will have a maximum price they'll be happy to pay and up to the point both sets of list managers will scramble to get the best deal for the club.
For an uncontracted/unhappy player you would be correct. Houston is happy to stay at port, and is contracted for 3 more years. Carlton literally hold no negotiation power. It’s pay what port wants or he stays

Maybe I was being a bit oblique for you.

I was questioning why he's so certain that Carlton and Port are negotiating behind the scenes, when there has been nothing reported to suggest they are.
And I was amused some people still believe the huff and puff published in the media.

I’d say this is similar to the Gibbs Adelaide situation. I don’t even think our demands will change next year as well.

Difference is that Houston is a much better player
Adelaide wouldn't pay the price if they had their time again.

Unfortunately they significantly underestimated the Blues holding him to his contract and gave up an additional first round pick the next year, partly to save face.

I’d say this is similar to the Gibbs Adelaide situation. I don’t even think our demands will change next year as well.

Difference is that Houston is a much better player
I agree will you but he will be a year older at 28, if Norths FF is genuinely on the table this year and Port say no we will keep him and look at it next year they have even right to, but then we have a disaster of a year again next year and we have pick 2 or 3 next year i can guarantee you North will not be using it then on Houston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back