Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

As it seems to be coming down to the offer Port receives from another club for Houston as to where he goes everyone needs to remember that if North want him that badly nothing will beat the offer that they make...Either in this years picks or F1st picks..

As it seems to be coming down to the offer Port receives from another club for Houston as to where he goes everyone needs to remember that if North want him that badly nothing will beat the offer that they make...Either in this years picks or F1st picks..
But Houston does not want to go there and never has. He has always wanted the best of both worlds, get back to Victoria but play for a contending club. Will stay at Port before he ever ends up at North.

That preference goes away when GC says to Collingwood that they would prefer Carlton's offer of F1+F2.

Meaning that Collingwood would fold and offer up Noble and F1.
They could do that if they preferred the picks to Noble. But if they did we would probably prefer to keep him unless GC offered big overs at that point.

But Houston does not want to go there and never has. He has always wanted the best of both worlds, get back to Victoria but play for a contending club. Will stay at Port before he ever ends up at North.
He has not stated that at any time. What has be stated by the media is that his preferred club would be Carlton however all he has said is that he wants to come back to Victoria and has agreed that if Port can do a deal with any Victorian club he will go there and if a deal cannot be reached by Port and the other club then he will remain at Port..

Last edited:
Yeah that’s terrible for us. We have Carlton’s F1 + F2 for 13 on the table, plus are looking at Port’s F1 for Lukosious.

Really whoever gets 13 gets Houston, so if you want him Collingwood need to give us overs on 13, otherwise he’s off to Carlton.
I'll be shocked if you get Port's future first straight for Lukosius but I'll stand to be corrected. Your club definitely wants Noble like Collingwood want pick 13. He's not an afterthought.

They could do that if they preferred the picks to Noble. But if they did we would probably prefer to keep him unless GC offered big overs at that point.
I doubt Collingwood spit the dummy and keep Noble, he's requested a trade out and isn't in your best 22. Alas let's see what happens.

If I am right (i.e. that Collingwood's offer becomes F1+ Noble) - then Carlton need to get ahead of that. An F2 doesn't seem to be a need to GCS other than it might help them with academy issues next year. Carlton would have to offer a player like Collingwood has offered - Owies being the only one I think GCS would feasibly be interested in (upgrade on Holman for e.g.?).

Isn't it pick 13 for either Carl's F1+F2, or Coll's F1+Noble. That puts Noble's value at F2.

Not sure why it has to be more complicated than this?
Collingwood want 23 & 29 back from us lol. So that’s not happening.

If they go to just F1 + Noble for 13 then we’d likely do that, but they aren’t even close to that atm. They should be offering that now with Carlton’s offer for 13 out there

Not sure that’s the case. I can’t see what Carlton would add to 13 to make it worth ports while trading him there.
Probably nothing to be honest. I think we've thrown our best offer on the table straight up.
I'm sure most teams would love a player like Dan, and we're no different, but we haven't courted him and his position isn't one we need to fill. The one thing we don't want to do is get caught up in a bidding war.
We'd be happy to welcome him to the club, on OUR terms, but Port are within their rights to reject that.
We want our 1st rounder this year to take a kid before the Campo boys come up. Don't think anything will change that plan.

He has not stated that at any time. What has be stated by the media is that his preferred club would be Carlton however all he has said is that he wants to come back to Victoria and has agreed that if Port can do a deal with any Victorian club he will go there and if a deal cannot be reached by Port and the other club then he will remain at Port..
Not sure I've seen anything come directly from Dan. It's hard to know what's coming through his official channels (himself, his agent, or the club) and what's being made up by journos trying to fill air space and column inches, or through 2nd or 3rd hand sources, but I did read that he wanted a big Melbourne club and also that he had declined North.
Don't know how true though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton love themselves a half back flanker
I think this is the reason we aren't going as hard as some other clubs like the Pies. It's not a pressing need with Saad and Newman already in that position and top 10 or so players at the club. Plus a bunch of others that have shown great signs in that role (Boyd/Cowan/O.Hollands). Also still have Billy Wilson to debut in that role who was picked up last year.

Probably nothing to be honest. I think we've thrown our best offer on the table straight up.
I'm sure most teams would love a player like Dan, and we're no different, but we haven't courted him and his position isn't one we need to fill. The one thing we don't want to do is get caught up in a bidding war.
We'd be happy to welcome him to the club, on OUR terms, but Port are within their rights to reject that.
We want our 1st rounder this year to take a kid before the Campo boys come up. Don't think anything will change that plan.
And that’s fair enough from a club priorities perspective, but it means that you were never really in the conversation then as 13 on its own should not be in the ballpark.

Not sure I've seen anything come directly from Dan. It's hard to know what's coming through his official channels (himself, his agent, or the club) and what's being made up by journos trying to fill air space and column inches, or through 2nd or 3rd hand sources, but I did read that he wanted a big Melbourne club and also that he had declined North.
Don't know how true though.
This is all l can find in relation to North..

Dan Houston spoke with Alastair Clarkson over the weekend. While Carlton is clearly his preferred club, he’s also open to North Melbourne if it means he can get back to Victoria

He's too old for North. They are still a number of years away from any serious contending, and Houston will be 28 years old at the start of next season. If North take him, he will be into his 30's by the time they are contending.

North would be better going for guys in their early 20's, that can be there for 10 years plus. And I doubt Houston would want his last contract to be at a team that is rebuilding. The guy is yet to win a flag, so surely that's what he is after. Not a mentoring role.

I think this is the reason we aren't going as hard as some other clubs like the Pies. It's not a pressing need with Saad and Newman already in that position and top 10 or so players at the club. Plus a bunch of others that have shown great signs in that role (Boyd/Cowan/O.Hollands). Also still have Billy Wilson to debut in that role who was picked up last year.

I think this rules us out of having any interest despite having the draft capital, NWM on one flank and Sinclair on the other says it's not a need.

How's his clearance work..... ?

He's too old for North. They are still a number of years away from any serious contending, and Houston will be 28 years old at the start of next season. If North take him, he will be into his 30's by the time they are contending.

North would be better going for guys in their early 20's, that can be there for 10 years plus. And I doubt Houston would want his last contract to be at a team that is rebuilding. The guy is yet to win a flag, so surely that's what he is after. Not a mentoring role.
North still do need "experienced" players and his age is in the right bracket. If premierships are what he is looking for he would have already selected a club and Port would look at dealing with that club only. However if he is looking at just coming back to Victoria and set up a life after football sometimes $$$$ and length of contract do help in deciding where he ends up and North have the salary cap space to do both plus offer Port a good deal...

l'm not saying he is going to North but just dont write North off yet..

I think this rules us out of having any interest despite having the draft capital, NWM on one flank and Sinclair on the other says it's not a need.

How's his clearance work..... ?
He played midfield for a little bit from memory before they got JHF and stuff. Can't remember how good he was in that role

Absolutely correct. On the same token. Houston does not want North that badly. if at all , he has the final say along with Port

Absolutely correct. On the same token. Houston does not want North that badly. if at all , he has the final say along with Port
Correct, as you have said he has the final say along with Port. The way l see it is if he goes to either Carlton or Collingwood then he has the final say and not Port but if he goes to North then Port has it and if he stays then they have an impasse where neither get what they want and Port will lose out because Houston will get to the Blues next year anyway..

Imagine being an AA quality player wanting to head back to Victoria, which has 10 teams, and only being able to get a deal done with North Melbounre 😂😂😂

Negligent by his management if true.

And that’s fair enough from a club priorities perspective, but it means that you were never really in the conversation then as 13 on its own should not be in the ballpark.
We don't actually know what the full offer was from Carlton. Only that it didn't involve this year's 1st. It would either have been centered around our future 1st, or pick 13 from GC if we were able to make a deal for it.
That would then form the basis of our offer for Dan, but not necessarily the only component.

If he says he'd like to get to Carlton, without specifically nominating us as the only club, then all we can do is put our best offers on the table. We aren't obligated to be 'in the conversation'. Our offer is there. It may change, or it may end up that Dan changes his mind and chooses us only, or that the other interested clubs pull out. Then it's up to Dan and Port to decide if they go ahead with our offer, or mend fences for another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back