Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys offered a future first and Owies. Port stipulated that they wanted a first rounder from this draft but your club refused to put 12 on the table, so no, the whole two first rounders but is a false narrative from you.
What you have said is not true at all. Port want our first round pick this season to be PART of the deal. As Carlton want to take at least one pick in the first round this season they are trying to move for 13 to give them flexibility to move for Houston.

And the two first rounders is not a false narrative. Given the media reports you willing to give 13 + 23 + Richards it shows that two first rounders is very close to the mark. Ports demands my drop as we get closer to next Wednesday but given he is contracted they don't really need to

Last edited:
The reports have you offering 13 + 23 + Richards - if you add that up it is essentially 2 first rounders (even more if you value Richards' potential).

We are trying to move our F1 into this draft as it gives us flexibility to either chase Houston or take two first rounders at the draft. But GCS hold the pick and want to involve Noble in the deal which has our hands tied atm
Loving the discussions between the Carlton and Collingwood posters about who has the better hand in getting Huston depending on what they can offer to Port......BUT....... North can better any offer that you both can come up with. :laughv1:
North can split our pick#2 and end up 2 picks at around #6 to #10 and their F1st will be more enticing than either Carlton or Collingwood F1st...;)

Carlton are nuts for not wanting to give up pick 12 for this bloke. Do they not think they're in their window? We gave up pick 12 for 23 year old Charlie Cameron who was off the rookie draft and had never kicked 30 goals in a season. Over valuing draft picks is a chumps game.
If a 23-year old Charlie Cameron was available this year Carlton would have given up pick 12 and a F1 straight away. Small forward is a pressing need worthy of throwing away our picks - a half back is not. Pick 12 alone won't get the Houston deal done either

If a 23-year old Charlie Cameron was available this year Carlton would have given up pick 12 and a F1 straight away. Small forward is a pressing need worthy of throwing away our picks - a half back is not. Pick 12 alone won't get the Houston deal done either

23 year old Charlie Cameron was basically the same player as Matt Owies who can't even get a contract (and had a lower goal average than Owies).

23 year old Charlie Cameron was basically the same player as Matt Owies who can't even get a contract (and had a lower goal average than Owies).
I'm sorry but there is no comparison between Matt Owies and a 23-year old Charlie Cameron. Owies does not play like a small forward - in fact despite being 180cm he plays like he is Jack Gunston. No defensive pressure, no positional awareness to crumb off the talls. That isn't a massive issue (if he can still kick goals) if we have others doing that in the forward line. But at the moment the likes of Motlop and Durdin have not shown it consistently enough. Williams is probably our best small forward and has played in that position for two months which says a lot.

What you have said is not true at all. Port want pick our first round pick this season to be PART of the deal not the only part to the deal. As Carlton want to take at least one pick in the first round this season they are trying to move for 13 to give them flexibility to move to Houston.
I never said it was the only part of the deal they wanted. You’re making that up. Do you think Port would have got their backs up if you’d offered pick 12 and Owies as a starter instead of something they specifically said they didn’t want?
And the two first rounders is not a false narrative. Given the media reports you willing to give 13 + 23 + Richards it shows that two first rounders is very close to the mark. Ports demands my drop as we get closer to next Wednesday but given he is contracted they don't really need to
The point is that two firsts is not an absolute demand from them. A decent 2024 first round was the must have part of the deal, and then the deal could be worked through from that point. Be it a future first, or a second rounder + steak knives etc.

If Carlton were smart they’d deal 12+Owies and maybe a future second and worry about trading back in to the first round afterwards, but their love affair with the draft is so ridiculous that they’re willing to give up an AA player who would completely transform their ball movement and make them genuine premiership contenders just to bring in another kid who might end up being a bust anyway.

Loving the discussions between the Carlton and Collingwood posters about who has the better hand in getting Huston depending on what they can offer to Port......BUT....... North can better any offer that you both can come up with. :laughv1:
North can split our pick#2 and end up 2 picks at around #6 to #10 and their F1st will be more enticing than either Carlton or Collingwood F1st...;)
Yeah but it’s pretty obvious that Norf is his absolute last resort or he’d have nominated them already, so 🤷🏻

I'm sorry but there is no comparison between Matt Owies and a 23-year old Charlie Cameron. Owies does not play like a small forward - in fact despite being 180cm he plays like he is Jack Gunston. No defensive pressure, no positional awareness to crumb off the talls. That isn't a massive issue (if he can still kick goals) if we have others doing that in the forward line. But at the moment the likes of Motlop and Durdin have not shown it consistently enough. Williams is probably our best small forward and has played in that position for two months which says a lot.

Who brings the ball off HB for the Blues?

The point is that two firsts is not an absolute demand from them. A decent 2024 first round was the must have part of the deal, and then the deal could be worked through from that point. Be it a future first, or a second rounder + steak knives etc.

If Carlton were smart they’d deal 12+Owies and maybe a future second and worry about trading back in to the first round afterwards, but their love affair with the draft is so ridiculous that they’re willing to give up an AA player who would completely transform their ball movement and make them genuine premiership contenders just to bring in another kid who might end up being a bust anyway.
Carlton's priority this offseason is taking at least one top pick in this year's draft. We won't give up 12 unless we are able to bring in another similar pick using our F1. That is why we are targeting 13 from the Suns. Bring that in and we can give Port 12 or 13 (+ something else) if we really want Houston and still keep one to hit the draft.

Yeah but it’s pretty obvious that Norf is his absolute last resort or he’d have nominated them already, so 🤷🏻
North might be a last resort but are still lurking in the background ready to pounce... ;)

North might be a last resort but are still lurking in the background ready to pounce... ;)
Seems like the same story every year. How’s that lurking working out for you guys?

Carlton's priority this offseason is taking at least one top pick in this year's draft. We won't give up 12 unless we are able to bring in another similar pick using our F1. That is why we are targeting 13 from the Suns. Bring that in and we can give Port 12 or 13 (+ something else) if we really want Houston and still keep one to hit the draft.
I know that’s their priority. I’m saying that their priorities are wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our two main HBs are Saad and Newman who would both be in our top 10 or so players on the list. Both are experienced, Saad was AA last season, Newman has finished runner up in our BnF in back to back years.
Fair enough. What you really need is a Treloar, Petracca or Butters paced midfielder to help on the spread. Or a genuine small crumbing forward or two like a Cameron, Hill or Betts type.

Fair enough. What you really need is a Treloar, Petracca or Butters paced midfielder to help on the spread. Or a genuine small crumbing forward or two like a Cameron, Hill or Betts type.
Yep I agree a small forward, a more outside-type midfielder and probably even some KPD depth would be more pressing positional needs

Can not understand why Carlton aren't giving up pick 12 for Houston a Dual All-Australian.

They are getting Camporeale twins anyway.

The club has said exactly why. They've been pretty transparent about the situation.

Whether it changes as trade week goes on remains to be seen.

They are getting Camporeale twins anyway.
The Campeoreale twins will be good pick-ups but they aren't rated in the top 30 prospects this season with Lucas potentially even making it through to the rookie draft. They won't be impacting AFL level in the next year or so whereas a top 15 pick in this draft might

Last edited:
The club has said exactly why. They've been pretty transparent about the situation.

Whether it changes as trade week goes on remains to be seen.
I know what Nick Austin said, seems to rate the draft but even if they pick someone good at 12, it will likely take a couple of years to develop. Houston is a ready made gun half-back at his peak exactly what the Blues need.

I would be taking the risk in my opinion, Cripps will be 30 years old at the start next year.

Last edited:
If I was the suns what would I rather

A) GC pick 13, 23
Collingwood Noble, F1

Or

B) GC pick 13
Carlton F1, F2
(Noble deal separate)

(B) seems the better choice right now unless Collingwood offer a F2 as well or not worry about the pick 23. ( I like Noble as a player but he wasn't even in your top 10 in your BnF and he played most of the year)

If I was the suns what would I rather

A) GC pick 13, 23
Collingwood Noble, F1

Or

B) GC pick 13
Carlton F1, F2
(Noble deal separate)

(B) seems the better choice right now unless Collingwood offer a F2 as well or not worry about the pick 23. ( I like Noble as a player but he wasn't even in your top 10 in your BnF and he played most of the year)
The highlighted would be the issue. If 13 is not part of the deal. Noble might require more trade capital then what you get off Carlton. I see us asking for more than 23 and 29.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back