Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Just move F2 from Magpies to Port. Happy?

Port Get: Pick 13, Lukosious, Richards, F2
Port Give: Houston, F1

BTW, I still don't understand why Port are willing to let Houston go. It will be a big loss, IMO.
It’s closer but I personally still wouldn’t be happy with that. I am with you on not letting Houston go. He is irreplaceable in terms of our game plan and potential flag window. Obviously the 2 first rounders is enough to turn the clubs head if he does want to leave and I honestly don’t think we should let him go for anything less than that, wether that’s unrealistic for other clubs or not.

Or he has already tested the water and believes a deal can be made with both clubs.

We will just have to wait and see I guess.
Power have publicly stated they’re happy to hold Houston to his contract, especially as they couldn’t trade a replacement HBF in.

They’ve also said they think he’s worth 2 x first round picks.

Collingwood or Carlton would need to pay big overs to get him if desperate - it appears Collingwood is.

Carlton is not - we could anti-up the two firsts we have now - without involving The Suns - but we have other priorities.

Collingwood went all-in on Schultz ( that hasn’t gone well) & now will for Houston according to Leppitsch.

This and next years first for Collingwood is a massive gamble given how very old the list already is.

It’s closer but I personally still wouldn’t be happy with that. I am with you on not letting Houston go. He is irreplaceable in terms of our game plan and potential flag window. Obviously the 2 first rounders is enough to turn the clubs head if he does want to leave and I honestly don’t think we should let him go for anything less than that, wether that’s unrealistic for other clubs or not.
Port could shut it down immediately especially when Houston apparently saying he is happy to stay. A bit puzzling for me.

I suspect the deal will get done close to what I posted.

Port could shut it down immediately especially when Houston apparently saying he is happy to stay. A bit puzzling for me.

I suspect the deal will get done close to what I posted.
Maybe. I think if the first pick was a bit higher than 13 it could. I think 13 is too low to only attach a future second to it. If it was the pick 23 that you have this year I could potentially see it getting done, because that adds a “first rounder” to the trade, even if it’s the last one. That adds flexibility to us being able to use future picks as a trade with the 2 in 4 years scenario.

I don’t see how Port get Lukoscious while keeping Houston.

Not only salary but they need an extra first rounder if they trade out next years first per AFL rules.

So sure… they could keep him, but does that mean they give up Lukoscious?

I get they want two draft picks (1 to get into the draft this year and 1 for Lukoscious) but not sure that’s going to happen.

I feel pick 12 is a win given how good this draft is and they lose next years which should be a lot higher in a much better draft, while getting their main targets.

This and next years first for Collingwood is a massive gamble given how very old the list already is.

Collingwood are in a similar situation to Richmond was in a couple of years ago when they threw the kitchen sink at getting Hopper & Taranto.

They're in their premiership window, but it's starting to close and they know it. Either they let it gracefully end and pray for a miracle to get them one more, or they mortgage their future to try and win some more silverwear with the talent they have now and give themselves a better chance of doing the job.

Normally it's a bad move, but if there is a decent chance it'll bring a flag, it's probably worth the gamble...After all, that's what it's all about. The real question is just how good that chance really is.

If only the Suns LM Team had some backbone - unfortunately we all know they don’t.

13 for Noble & F1 is about right.

Noble isn’t worth much & Collingwood are “very confident” of bringing Houston in according to their overly effusive list manager.

Leppitsch is dumb enough to pander to the Collingwood horde stating how confident he is, that’s going to cost him something in these trades - both to The Suns & then to Port.

Collingwoods problem is they’ll need 2 firsts to pay for Houston - if they use their F1 in the trade for 13, how will they get it done?

Haven’t they learned from the Lauchie Schultz debacle?
IMG_6859.gif

Collingwood Get: Houston, F2 (GC)
Collingwood Give: Noble, Richards, F1

Port Get: Pick 13, Lukoscious, Richards

Gold Coast Get: F1 (Coll), F1 (Port), Noble
Gold Coast Give: Pick 13, Lukoscious, F2

Who says no?
I say No: why would Port give up their F1 when they expect Pick 13 + Luko for Houston.
If no Dan trade, Port would flip their future F1 for Luko.

Your trade has Houston = Pick 13 + Richards where Richards (out of contract) if traded separate, at most is a third or fourth rounder. Pies would need to flip more to get GC's Pick 21 involved.

I don’t see how Port get Lukoscious while keeping Houston.

Not only salary but they need an extra first rounder if they trade out next years first per AFL rules.

So sure… they could keep him, but does that mean they give up Lukoscious?

I get they want two draft picks (1 to get into the draft this year and 1 for Lukoscious) but not sure that’s going to happen.

I feel pick 12 is a win given how good this draft is and they lose next years which should be a lot higher in a much better draft, while getting their main targets.
That rule is up to the AFL's discretion, and Chris Davies (Port footy GM) has stated they could propose that trading out a first round pick for JHF was essentially the same as using a first round pick given he was obviously a number 1 pick himself and only 19 at the time. I'd say the AFL would ok that, as they've previously stated that rule is to stop clubs from over-selling their future to keep themselves afloat in the short-term.

I say No: why would Port give up their F1 when they expect Pick 13 + Luko for Houston.
If no Dan trade, Port would flip their future F1 for Luko.

Your trade has Houston = Pick 13 + Richards where Richards (out of contract) if traded separate, at most is a third or fourth rounder. Pies would need to flip more to get GC's Pick 21 involved.
That’d be us giving up two first rounders, that’s too much. At best we could do 29 instead of the F2 and it goes to you instead of the pies

Collingwood Get: Houston

Port Get: Pick 13, Pick 29, Lukoscious, Richards

Gold Coast Give: Pick 13, Pick 29, Lukoscious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’d be us giving up two first rounders, that’s too much. At best we could do 29 instead of the F2 and it goes to you instead of the pies

Collingwood Get: Houston

Port Get: Pick 13, Pick 29, Lukoscious, Richards

Gold Coast Give: Pick 13, Pick 29, Lukoscious
Separate the deals out. What would you be happy to give for noble, or what would you require with noble for pick 13? Then what would you be happy to give port back with lukosious for our future first?

I would expect that if we gave our future first for lukosious we would be looking at something back, along the lines of 29 or a future second. Might end up something a bit later than that.

I also don’t think 13 and Richards goes close for Houston. Would need something along the lines of 23 added to that to be enough. I don’t know what Collingwood would have to add to noble and future first to get that pick.

Separate the deals out. What would you be happy to give for noble, or what would you require with noble for pick 13? Then what would you be happy to give port back with lukosious for our future first?
I’d do Noble + F1 for 13, and Luko + something like our F2 for your F1. I think combining the trades works well because if we did them separately, Coll could only offer you 13 and Richards.

This way we can overpay a bit on the luko deal and give you 29 directly instead, which covers your underpay on Houston a bit. Might still be not exactly right but it’s close.

I’d do Noble + F1 for 13, and Luko + something like our F2 for your F1. I think combining the trades works well because if we did them separately, Coll could only offer you 13 and Richards.

This way we can overpay a bit on the luko deal and give you 29 directly instead, which covers your underpay on Houston a bit. Might still be not exactly right but it’s close.
Yeah so in this scenario it’s your club copping the worst of it, us coming in ok but not great and Collingwood getting the best asset available in the whole situation for significant unders. They need to add something to the deal to get 23 out of you for us as well. I honestly don’t know how keen port would be to do this, given that Houston makes a team that is competing with us for the flag better. Our list managers might be more pragmatic about it but I don’t think it’s ideal.

Collingwood are in a similar situation to Richmond was in a couple of years ago when they threw the kitchen sink at getting Hopper & Taranto.

They're in their premiership window, but it's starting to close and they know it. Either they let it gracefully end and pray for a miracle to get them one more, or they mortgage their future to try and win some more silverwear with the talent they have now and give themselves a better chance of doing the job.

Normally it's a bad move, but if there is a decent chance it'll bring a flag, it's probably worth the gamble...After all, that's what it's all about. The real question is just how good that chance really is.
Yes agreed.

To some degree Carlton has the same question ahead.

Houston wants to come to Carlton. Carlton has the assets now, but hesitant to use them given the opportunity cost, bringing in elite talent in a strong draft before Tassie rips it up.

Collingwood have bigger issues than adding a nice kick off half back.

Yes agreed.

To some degree Carlton has the same question ahead.

Houston wants to come to Carlton. Carlton has the assets now, but hesitant to use them given the opportunity cost, bringing in elite talent in a strong draft before Tassie rips it up.

Collingwood have bigger issues than adding a nice kick off half back.

Yes/no on Carlton being in a similar position.

Collingwood won a flag, that gives them a lot more flexibility to take a gamble.

If they mess it up, then spending a few more years in the wilderness to reset to where they can start a new push isn't a huge deal. Fans will still be happy with a 'recent' flag, and they'll have respect with players/clubs, etc.

Carlton however are coming into it's 30th year since a win, so at least another 4-5 years to get to where they can hope to enter their next window is a bitter pill to swallow, both to fans, and to the esteem the club is held in within the industry.

and yes, I know my club hasn't won one yet....it's why I know about the lack of respect that brings.

Tears?

Even Houston’s management have said he wants to play for Carlton, today.

We have the picks now to make a deal with Port. We don’t seem to want him that badly :).

It seems poor old Collingwood are emotionally invested in “winning” the trade period.

A la … Schultz, AKA - Augustus Gloop!

View attachment 2135001
Could you please provide a link of where his manager said that?

Port absolutely say no to this. Our future 1 for lukosious (would hope for some change out of this) and then rates Houston as pick 13 and Richards, who is worth a pick in the 40’s.
Another way to look at it is our F1 for pick 13. Given we are 10th in line in the premiership betting that's a loss.

Then it's Houston for 2x non best 22 players. Another loss.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tears?

Even Houston’s management have said he wants to play for Carlton, today.

We have the picks now to make a deal with Port. We don’t seem to want him that badly :).

It seems poor old Collingwood are emotionally invested in “winning” the trade period.

A la … Schultz, AKA - Augustus Gloop!

View attachment 2135001

Just keep your powder dry for now.

If Collingwood is desperate for pick 13 to get the deal done, we can drive a hard bargain, and then once we do...you can swoop in then.

Just move F2 from Magpies to Port. Happy?

Port Get: Pick 13, Lukosious, Richards, F2

BTW, I still don't understand why Port are willing to let Houston go. It will be a big loss, IMO.
Id do that if it was a current 2nd rounder, not a future.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are no standout teams so they will have a good chance to bounce next year like Geelong did this year and if you get to a prelim anything can happen from there.

Definitely a chips in move from the Pies if they end up effectively out of 3 drafts in a row for Schultz and Houston.

Geelong have stayed up because they have still invested in the draft around bringing in players from other clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back