Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Criminally underrated by those wanting to get him cheap.

There is no doubt he can play but I dont think our club needs to be paying a high draft pick for another HBF.

We already have about 10 on our list, and some go pretty well. We desperately need A grade midfielders and another ruckman thats where we should be spending our draft assets.

Be interesting to see how Port go in the finals now having lost Houston & Farrell.

I have no idea why there are takes that HB is the least important position in the AFL.

Basically every team floods 16-17 players past the half way mark of the field at an opposition kick in. The top teams have the strongest forward zones and presses.

Half backs are the most important position to bust the zone. Guess who ranked #1 in the league for goals from D50 transition? Dan Houston.

I think most clubs are interested it's just the asking price is high given the clubs rate the draft.

The Bulldogs first pick is 33. You could use your future first but will need more than that. Obviously you are moving a few players out but even that might not be enough.
Turning Bailey Smith into Houston wouldn’t be the worst result.

I have no idea why there are takes that HB is the least important position in the AFL.

Basically every team floods 16-17 players past the half way mark of the field at an opposition kick in. The top teams have the strongest forward zones and presses.

Half backs are the most important position to bust the zone. Guess who ranked #1 in the league for goals from D50 transition? Dan Houston.

Hawthorn's success this year is like 99% down to the elite ball use off half back and their wings..

They have Amon, D'Ambrossio, Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick, Weddle as their distributors off the backline and wings and are now adding Battle to that mix too and another key defender in Barrass.

Saints have...Sinclair, NWM, Jimmy Webster and a 31 year old Brad Hill as their distribution off the backline and wing and they think they're stacked in those areas :/

You'd think some of these other clubs would actually look at what Hawthorn have done so successfully to shoot up the ladder this year. I can tell you it wasn't adding an inside midfield bull.

If you think Paddy Dow, Hunter Clark, Jimmy Webster or Brad Hill at age 31 are the answers and you don't need another elite ball user who is arguably the best half back in the league, can play wing and midfield too, and defends 1 on 1 better than either of NWM or Sinclair you're in la-la land.

Hawthorn's success this year is like 99% down to the elite ball use off half back and their wings..

They have Amon, D'Ambrossio, Scrimshaw, Sicily, Hardwick, Weddle as their distributors off the backline and wings and are now adding Battle to that mix too and another key defender in Barrass.

Saints have...Sinclair, NWM, Jimmy Webster and a 31 year old Brad Hill as their distribution off the backline and wing and they think they're stacked in those areas :/

You'd think some of these other clubs would actually look at what Hawthorn have done so successfully to shoot up the ladder this year. I can tell you it wasn't adding an inside midfield bull.

If you think Paddy Dow, Hunter Clark, Jimmy Webster or Brad Hill at age 31 are the answers and you don't need another elite ball user who is arguably the best half back in the league, can play wing and midfield too, and defends 1 on 1 better than either of NWM or Sinclair you're in la-la land.
I don't know why you are so concerned with our list. Anyone can see it is not in any state to be contending for a top 4 spot next year, which is exactly why it would be stupid to spend two (or even one) first round picks on a bloke who will be 28 next year.

If Houston is the best half back in the league why are you trying sell him off? He is contracted, he just needs to be told, "bad luck Dan, but you are a required player and will be at Ken Hinkley FC (est 2013) until at least the end of 2027."

Criminally underrated by those wanting to get him cheap.

Don't think the interest is anywhere near what Port fans want it to be.

Saints have Sinclair, NWM, Hill, Henry and Wilson who are all quality off the wings and half back. Hastie as he develops will join that group.

Houston would be nice but not top 10 pick nice.

No surprises either to see Houston backtrack today and say "I'm not leaving"

Wouldn't be because he realises the interest isn't there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think the interest is anywhere near what Port fans want it to be.
Mate port fans don’t want there to be any interest in Houston. He is a dual all Australian 27 year old that has been top 3 in our best and fairest for the last 2 years and probably will be this year as well. The idea that we want him to go for some magic bean draft picks is ridiculous. It’s not like we are Richmond letting players go after a dynasty, we are supposedly in our premiership window. Why would we want one of our best players to leave?

And if he chooses to go, of course we would want the best available trade. Just like you would be disappointed if battle only gets you band 2, even though Houston is clearly a significantly better player.

Melbourne option became very unpalatable.

Changed preference to Carlton. Petracca looks headed to Carlton, so Houston path to them becomes very difficult.

StKilda become the main option for him.

Dan very quickly and very wisely decides that Port is still for him afterall.

And why wouldn't he. His career is going swimmingly there and they are obviously very good for each other.

absolute jet - easily worth Saints first pick.....did they cool on it or was it him?

We don't need him, especially given his high value in terms of picks.

I'm guessing once Melbourne cooled he realised a move wasn't on the cards and stayed.

Seems like a good outcome for Port too, given he seems fully committed to them now. They'll just have to get into the first round some other way.

The Saints link made no sense to me. Houston is too old, especially if he cost more than 7.

I think it only makes sense for teams in contention and I'm guessing none of them have the space and/or picks/desire to get it done.
Very real chance the Petracca stuff made him pull out of Melbourne then Carlton said sorry, we want Trac. Got double screwed by Trac

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back