Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he genuinely hasn’t made his mind up. He’s waiting for final offers from WC and Freo to then compare with Geelong.

Would still say he’s 60-40 going than signing a 1 yr deal with us... but that has drastically improved from about 98-2 going, at the start of the year for mine.

If he leaves, out best next option after cogs is Brad crouch. He’s a gun and worth one R1 we get for Kelly. He’s a ball magnet and would suit us.

I was in furious agreement until you mentioned Brouch. Not what we need while we still have Chook.

Think he genuinely hasn’t made his mind up. He’s waiting for final offers from WC and Freo to then compare with Geelong.

Would still say he’s 60-40 going than signing a 1 yr deal with us... but that has drastically improved from about 98-2 going, at the start of the year for mine.

If he leaves, out best next option after cogs is Brad crouch. He’s a gun and worth one R1 we get for Kelly. He’s a ball magnet and would suit us.
Crouch is a no from me. I say draft with everything we get

I’d also prefer 2 high picks.

Assuming we got that, I’d trade our 18 for crouch if it means we avoid Steven. Crouch would be good for us but still game the 2 high picks.

Gday Cats fans. Does anyone have any literature for AFL rules on out of contract players changing clubs? I don’t mean restricted and unrestricted free agents. I mean a player like Tim Kelly that’s finished a 2 year stint and is out of contract at the end of 2019. There is an imbecile of a WC supporter that believes Kelly can just walk to WC at the end of the season. I tried to educate him and explained a trade is required but he won’t have it.
Cheers.

Gday Cats fans. Does anyone have any literature for AFL rules on out of contract players changing clubs? I don’t mean restricted and unrestricted free agents. I mean a player like Tim Kelly that’s finished a 2 year stint and is out of contract at the end of 2019. There is an imbecile of a WC supporter that believes Kelly can just walk to WC at the end of the season. I tried to educate him and explained a trade is required but he won’t have it.
Cheers.

Any player is still contracted at the end of the trade period.
You MUST trade for a player who doesn't qualify as a FA, or he must sit out 12 months.
In no circumstance could TK just walk anywhere, although I'm not surprised WCE fans don't get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Presser didn't fill me with confidence

It sounds pretty positive but the cynic in me says that it could be a last ditch attempt to get the Eagles or Freo to up their offers. I hope that's not the case and his comments were genuine. You never know these days. Nothing says I love the club more than a signature on a new contract. I'd love it if he signed right on the cusp of finals. It will give the team a big boost I reckon.
I think is totally accurate.

TK is a smart bloke and some of his intelligence has to have rubbed off on his ******* manager. The statements publicly give WA teams notice that they need to be competitive. IT will get results and they will come. Also tells ya hat we are still very in the hunt.

I also buy that we are up to our necks in this and thst it won’t be a purely money decision.

Go Catters

Cheers.
Old article but it explains the minimum conditions for free agency

To be a delisted free agent he'd have to be delisted. Cats are offering him a contract which is the opposite of delisting him so that won't happen.

The only way to break the deadlock if a trade isn't agreed and he genuinely doesn't want to play at geelong is to nominate the draft and hope that clubs rate their picks ahead of him (unlikely)

One extra peice in the cats favour is actually the time frame. Whilst not ideal, if it gets to the end of the trade period and no one agrees on value and time runs out, the cats can still sign him after the trade window. Put him on a lucrative one year contract and promise to try again next year, which would likely be preferable to another club move. Won't come to that however.

I'd want Coniglio over Crouch

So .. in the school yard ..when the players against the wall you pick Coniglio ...? Or you liked that he is FA compare dto the trade cost ?

Of course its rare that you have 2 or 3 guys .. all wanting to come to your club... Currently with Coniglio ... GWS , Carton , Haw and StK has contracts in front of him ... and who knows if Kelly does announce or whisper to us that he wants to go if we get in the conversation.
Someone is going to miss out.. and Id say if Adelaide give him the nudge to look around.. it would be the same.. Dogs have money but probably do need him.. the Saints have been mentioned .. but id say you could mention any of the above that miss out on Coniglio. GWS for example would be ideal and they have picks to use or lose with Greeen.

The same with Kelly .. im sure Freo and WC wuld both like him on their list.. its more a matter of who he wants .. and what make him pick who he wants. When I listen to him..he is a very modern player... he is frank that money will play a part. 12 month ago ..500 probably was looking good now the money that it looks like he could be earning is a bit world turning. .. so he does get to choose where he want to play from a footy aspect as well.

And thats what I think Coniglio will do ... GWS for now. Carlton for two years time. So why not a 2 year contract at GWS.. Perhaps in 2 years there may be doubt Carlton could fit him in ..but I suspect they would find a way.

Presser didn't fill me with confidence

Certainly true.

Having said that, short of actually announcing he's signed a new deal (which was never going to happen at this point), I struggle to see how his messaging about where things are at could have been more positive for us.

Loves playing for the GFC, much more settled in Geelong this year, and understandably appealing for the best financial outcome he can manage (which it appears we might have some chance of providing for him).

Could easily have simply said, 'Not thinking about it now. Will work it out at the end of the year.' The fact he was actually so effusive in his praise for the club and his current circumstances suggests that we are potentially a serious player in his next contract negotiation.

Which, given how events were transpiring during last year's trade period, is remarkable enough in itself.

Cheers.

He can only walk toWCE by going to the draft where any club can pick him up. Hes not an FA.

I'm not sure how anyone could not be positive about what Kelly revealed, unless you support WC or Shockers.

Here's some more...

I'm not sure how anyone could not be positive about what Kelly revealed, unless you support WC or Shockers.

Here's some more...

He was in Perth at the time.

Cheers.
Welcome to what we have been dealing with from some WCE fans since the prospect of Kelly to WCE was initially raised last year

Good luck with things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back