Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Daniel Bradshaw

bradshaw2sj1.jpg

Bradshaw kicks another 6 to take his tally to 29 goals from six games and a share the lead for the Coleman.

Kevin Sheedy

What a wonderful performance from Bradshaw to kick so many goals so early in the season. We are looking closely at him for the Victorian side to play the Dream Team and with the reduced squads to be chosen over the weekend, he is a strong chance.

bradshaw11gy2.jpg

This was posed by the Herald Sun last week, but I think today showed how much Bradshaw benefits from having Brown in the side. Only 3 disposals and 1 goal today.

Not the first or last bloke Scarlett has touched up, as Thompson said in the press conference Bradshaw has had the better of Scarlett on several occasions. Matty was keyed up and got the better of Braddles. Should be playing next week for the Big V together

Not the first or last bloke Scarlett has touched up, as Thompson said in the press conference Bradshaw has had the better of Scarlett on several occasions. Matty was keyed up and got the better of Braddles. Should be playing next week for the Big V together
Bomber said he's kicked a few goals on him, somehow I don't think Thompson said he has had the better of Scarlo. :confused:

Bradshaw has beaten Scarlett previously and has also beaten Fletcher quite regularly. That is what makes him such an interesting player. Geelong defenders zoned Braddles leading space well and Scarlett matched him one on one and then smashed him on the ground. Scarlett is a champion and Bradshaw had a poor day. I guess he will be hoping Browny is back for the Carlton game and Braddles next opponent will probably get smashed!:thumbsu:

Bomber said he's kicked a few goals on him, somehow I don't think Thompson said he has had the better of Scarlo. :confused:

The 2004 preliminary final comes to mind - I was there that night and whilst Braddy only kicked 4 it is fair to say that Scarlett was well and truly beaten in his most important game to that point.

The 2004 preliminary final comes to mind - I was there that night and whilst Braddy only kicked 4 it is fair to say that Scarlett was well and truly beaten in his most important game to that point.

Bradshaw also destroyed someone else that night.... Shaun Hart. :( Completely unintentional of course, but a sad end to the career of a great club man.

I reckon Scarlett was on Lynch for most of the night and Lynchy gave him a bath.
Regardless, it took Scarlett 12 months to get over that one.

Link

Bradshaw likens V to flags
Matt Burgan
9:28 AM Fri 09 May, 2008

VICTORIAN forward Daniel Bradshaw is a dual premiership player.

But even the Brisbane Lions' second greatest goalkicker believes the honour of wearing the Big V is bordering his 2001 and 2003 premiership medallions.

"This would be right up there and right near the top," Bradshaw said after Victorian training at the MCG on Thursday.

"Obviously grand finals with the team are No. 1, but this would be up there with the top, for sure."

The fact Bradshaw is able to accept his latest football accolade is a remarkable effort, considering he missed the entire 2007 season with a knee injury.

Traditionally, players returning from season-ending knee injuries need to be given one to two years to re-adjust, but Bradshaw's return in 2008 has been one of the great football stories of the year.

He has kicked 30 goals in seven matches - including 23 goals from rounds three to six - but even the 29-year-old conceded he had passed his own expectations upon return.

"This time last year I was probably laid up on the couch with my knee and this year I didn't expect to be playing well enough to get in the squad for Victoria, so it's been an exciting few weeks and I'm really looking forward to the game on Saturday," Bradshaw said.

"Blokes with knees, they say it takes 18 months to get back to playing where they were before they did their knee, so I'm a little bit surprised about how well I've played.

"I came into the season not expecting too much. I just wanted to get out there and enjoy footy and play again, so kicking the goals has been a bonus, but being in the squad for Victoria has been amazing and a very proud moment."

Bradshaw said having fellow Lions players - Victorian captain Jonathan Brown and ball-winner Luke Power - in the Victorian squad reflected well on his club (Nigel Lappin was also in the 40-man group before an achilles injury ruled him out).

"We've been playing okay this year, so we've got a few players that have been getting a kick and it's going to be good playing against [Lions teammate and Dream Team ruckman] Jamie Charman on Saturday night," Bradshaw said.

"Him and Lukey Power have had a bit of banter and he [Charman] reckons he's going to bash us when we're out there, so it'll be interesting to see what he gets up to on the weekend."

Even for someone as experienced as Bradshaw, mixing with other elite AFL players was initially daunting.

"We met up last night for dinner and obviously you're a little bit nervous, because you don't know a lot of the boys, but it's good to get out there training in that environment and kicking the ball around and getting to know the boys," he said.

"We've only got a couple of days to go, so it'll be good to get stuck into them."

Originally from Wodonga, Bradshaw said pulling on the Big V with Brown and Carlton star Brendan Fevola in attack would be a great opportunity.

"I'm not sure what we're going to do game-wise, but I'm sure we can work it out, as long as we don't get in the way of each other and spoil each other and we've got to make sure that we work together," Bradshaw said.

"Browny is really good at organising the forward line, so I can't see that being any different on Saturday night."

24yo4zq.jpg

VICTORIA
B: C.Brown, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Shaw, Croad, Waite
C: Harvey, Mitchell, Goodes
HF: O'Keefe, J.Brown, Murphy
F: S.Johnson, Fevola, Bradshaw
FOLL: Simmonds, Bartel, Judd
I/C: Fraser, Power, Chapman, Kelly, Foley, Pendlebury, J.Selwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Ratings: Matt Burgan

Daniel Bradshaw (36)
After starting on the bench, was soon in the action up forward, but he kicked two behinds - including a poster. Kicked his only goal in the second quarter, before shifting down back in the third term onto Matthew Richardson, where he was solid.
Rating: 4

After having an absolute shocker against Carlton I heard Robert Walls say ont he radio "he won't play that game again" meaning he won't put in another one like that next week.

My concern is, he has had pretty much 2.5 shockers in a row with his match against Geelong, albeit the best defender ever, very bad but perhaps just beaten by a much better player on the day; a 1-goal return in the Vic guernsey but I guess you're up against the best as well plus his very ordinary effort on Saturday night against the lowly defence of Carlton.

Where is he at?

A bit critical of Braddles me thinks.

I recall at least 2 goals of Browns that you can attribute to Daniel because of good sheparding and blocking.

Granted he dropped a couple of sitters and missed another gimmie goal, but it's all part of footy.

Point is he makes our foward line difficult to match up on and makes the defenders accountable. The Blues needed to have an extra defender back there all night.

Bradshaw's leads were chopped off all night and the ball was often kicked to his wrong side when he was in the one on one contest. I think it is predominantly a midfield delivery issue. Braddles got alot of attention and as a result we were able to hit browny up on the lead more often than not. It could be Braddles turn this week!

Well he almost had 2 if the ump had allowed advantage which he kicked only for the kick to go back to Jed who nicely slotted the goal anyway.

the advantage we have is if braddles is quiet, brown fires and vice versa. braddles played very well and when one of the forwards is on a roll, you keep it going for them and thats what braddles did. brown even had the lucky bounces of the ball his way last night, and braddles did everything to make his life easier. he had a couple of moments where he was unlucky, and you will get those games.

i though he was still pretty good for the vics. lots of rotations so hard to get settled, but was always a target. was only the geelong game where scarlett got the best of him, but scarlett is in fantastic form this year. wasn't best delivery to him that game and there was no brown.

some games they will both fire, other times only one, but when just one fires, its usually because the other is sacrificing their game to help the other but blocking or leading away to give them a one out contest. stats didn't suggest it, but it was a very smart and well played game from braddles vs the blues.

one last point, in a few of braddles games this year, he has got a lot of his goals in one or two quarters, and that will happen if defense becomes to worried with brown. all of a sudden braddles will pop up with 3 or 4 in a quarter and look the goods.

thats right. was a great example of how in just one quarter, 2 players can blow the game apart.

but as i said, goal tally isn't an indication of how well they are working together.

nothing better than having 2 such good forwards. we dont need goals from both. its a great luxury to have. and if one goes down, as we have seen in the past, both are good enough to still be effective on their own.

i must admit tho, i do like seeing browny closer to goal and slotting them thru. they seem to be really working on creating space behind brown so we can run back towards goal and get a one out contest. bradshaw was just waiting to see where brown goes and takes his man out.

bradshaw could be a key FF at any other club...but he is ours :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back