Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

When will Daniel Curtin play his 3rd game?

• Sometime during Rounds 17-20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. It’s why while the talent identification may had some busts, it is our talent development department that needs to be more immediately and seriously reviewed.

Bello, who gets away relatively unscathed around here, is high on my hit list
Sometimes wonder if the club is constantly trying to force round pegs into square holes - we've seen plenty of examples over the last few years

Sometimes wonder if the club is constantly trying to force round pegs into square holes - we've seen plenty of examples over the last few years
Are you referring to how we try to mould more dynamic players (ie Pedlar, Rash, Curtin) into the safer brand of player we’re more comfortable in developing? If so 1000% agree.

Has anyone said he will never be a defender? The question is why have we spent another 10 pick on a defender when we need midfielders?

When he was drafted we all hoped with the midfield time he had played the club had drafted him with the idea we’ve drafted a tall mid. But you’ve said it yourself, he might get some runs in the middle but don’t hold your breath.

The club is trying to improve his defensive skills, that’s why he was playing on key forwards in the SANFL where he also struggled to defend.

As for half forward, what’s the difference with a 197cm playing half forward compared to any other first rounder like Pedlar? If anything I believe he would be a difficult match up with his height, let him play a Tom Lynch type role where he can move up and down the ground. With his height he gives a good marking option when we are moving the ball up the ground. With his leg, it would be a weapon when delivering to our forwards and shots on goal.
There you go WaynesWorld19 you can bow to me now. Soon you’ll acknowledge I’ve been right about Nicks too, just as I was about Jarhan Jacky ;)

I think people are over reacting a little, but i do agree the club took a little too long to make this shift.

I saw Curtin play against the number one pick for GCS last year at Thebbie and he had a terrific tussle and was not beaten at all. It was a great contest. He also played forward and on the ball in some other matches and looked the part.

We lose Murray to injury late last year and the jury is out on Keane, Borlase and the injury prone Butts. We are desperate for a tall 197cm defender to take on the gorillas. Curtin immediately comes to mind. He is picked against the better talls in the SANFL and struggles at times as most tall young players do when they begin their careers eg Buslinger pick 4 for Bulldogs. He then has a breakout game against the Roosters at Prospect and is picked even though his form up until then has been solid at best.

Curtin plays in the AFL against Port and is ok, but he struggles against Brisbane against Logan Morris - a player he should beat based n last years form and is soundly beaten one on one by Ah Chee when shifted away from the goal square.

He is dropped after these two games - not one - as many young players are and struggles again at SANFL maybe from a loss of confidence - something that can happen to young players. He plays higher up the field against South and is very ordinary and the weakest performer of our recruits from last year - except for Gags.

I am sure most would agree that this change was too late in occurring and it could have had a substantial impact on his confidence but the logic of the clubs decisions can be seen. Now that Murray is back and Borlase, Keane and Butts have all shown this year that they are capable of playing at this level more than we thought 12 months ago, it is imperative with the loss of Milera and the poor form of Smith that we get Curtin to play more upfield. I would have put him on the wing or up forward for a change but the club have at least moved him at last.

it is now up to Curtin to get more involved in the game, show greater intensity when the ball is in his area and attack the ball in the air as we know he can.

Too much time is spent criticizing Godden, not Bello interestingly who is charge of development, and our coaches and not enough on the players themselves who in the end have the greatest capacity to change their form.

Hard to blame the players when it so often happens to so many of them

Its either a case of poor Coaching, a case of poor recruitment or one hell of a whopping coincidence laced with the worst luck in the world.

Now now, Murphy has kicked 11 more goals than Amartey.

… in 106 games to 41, but still.
Yeah, but Amartey's numbers are a bit skewed by the 9 he kicked against us the other night.

Murphy would probably have a lot more goals to his name if he got to play against us, too :p

Have to laugh at "reprogrammed", but this is a good change. One has to wonder why it wasn't the first option, but whatever...

It’s not Curtin that’s been reprogrammed, he’s looked good the couple of times he’s played up the field. It’s the coaching group that needed reprogramming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Poor recruiting and list management.
2. A tendency to gift senior players games and/or their preferred positions on field meaning youngsters have to be shoe horned into roles they don’t belong in.

1. Poor recruiting and list management.
2. A tendency to gift senior players games and/or their preferred positions on field meaning youngsters have to be shoe horned into roles they don’t belong in.
Also a clear disconnect between what the coach wants on his team and what players we recruit/draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Back