Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

When will Daniel Curtin play his 3rd game?

• Sometime during Rounds 17-20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He sure did only play well once he played in a position that was not in the midfield. If I'm to believe the thesis of this thread, those 2 goals were very harmful to his development.
Don’t play him as a lockdown defender/don’t give him two mins of game = only play him as an inside mid????

He sure did only play well once he played in a position that was not in the midfield. If I'm to believe the thesis of this thread, those 2 goals were very harmful to his development.
What a stupid thing to say.
Most people have been saying don't play him at fullback

Last edited:

No you have it mixed. This thread and entire board has always questioned his selection in deep defense when he has always played well as a mid / forward. Nicks screwed up. We all know it and Curtin made Nicks look like a fool.

No you have it mixed. This thread and entire board has always questioned his selection in deep defense when he has always played well as a mid / forward. Nicks screwed up. We all know it and Curtin made Nicks look like a fool.

Nicks already looks like a fool, soooo many reasons over the last 5 years.

This is just one more example to add to the long list

Long-term, I think Curtin projects as predominantly a midfielder, who can also go out to a wing to utilise his ridiculously smooth left boot, or up forward to stretch defences with his marking.

At times, he can probably float back (a la Dawson) to help out as an interceptor in defense.

What he blatantly is not, is a key position player.

Most younger players take time to really become stoppage beasts, so throwing Curtin in there full time is absolutely not the answer. I think in the meantime it makes sense for Curtin to play wing / half forward, with occasional bursts through the centre that build up gradually over a 3 year period.

The one part of our list that is pretty stacked is “medium and tall defenders”. Murray, Butts, Keane, Worrell, Borlase, Hinge, Dawson (at times), Nankervis (at times), Michalanney. I could argue that we probably need some help in every other part of our list OTHER than that. Skilled mids who can hit the scoreboard, a ruck, a key forward, a small forward, a high half forward, a wingman - we need all of that way more than we need Curtin to play the garbage role he was given against the Lions earlier in the season.

So what’s Curtin’s most logical position in the short-term? Well, we are definitely in need of a medium forward after the departure of McAdam and the upcoming delisting of Gollant (no, I don’t care that he kicked 8 in the SANFL, he’s rightly being delisted).

We’re also in need of a wingman with the Chayce Jones experiment a dismal failure, plus the likes of McHenry and Murphy proving time and time again that they cannot contribute at an adequate level in this role. Sholl is doing well on one wing. The other wing for me needs to be one of Curtin, Nankervis and Cook. Today, Hinge spent a fair bit of time on a wing, but for me, Nank projects long-term as someone who WON’T remain in the D50, so Hinge returns to his role back there.

TLDR - Curtin should play as a wingman who rotates forward, with a handful of CBAs. That handful of CBAs gradually builds over time. It will emerge over the coming 18 months what his best long-term position is, but he clearly has a lot of versatility and could be a genuine weapon at stoppages, on a wing or up forward, and could also drop back as an interceptor when required. The future is bright here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13 CBAs
Glad they have realised his best role.

Seeing run with Bont was pleasing too. He will learn from that.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. Didn’t rack it up a lot, but whether the move was successful or not, we lost absolutely nothing by trying it. And that would still apply if we lost the game.

Long-term, I think Curtin projects as predominantly a midfielder, who can also go out to a wing to utilise his ridiculously smooth left boot, or up forward to stretch defences with his marking.

At times, he can probably float back (a la Dawson) to help out as an interceptor in defense.

Most younger players take time to really become stoppage beasts, so throwing Curtin in there full time is absolutely not the answer. I think in the meantime it makes sense for Curtin to play wing / half forward, with occasional bursts through the centre that build up gradually over a 3 year period.

The one part of our list that is pretty stacked is “medium and tall defenders”. Murray, Butts, Keane, Worrell, Borlase, Hinge, Dawson (at times), Nankervis (at times), Michalanney. I could argue that we probably need some help in every other part of our list OTHER than that. Skilled mids who can hit the scoreboard, a ruck, a key forward, a small forward, a high half forward, a wingman - we need all of that way more than we need Curtin to play the garbage role he was given against the Lions earlier in the season.

So what’s Curtin’s most logical position in the short-term? Well, we are definitely in need of a medium forward after the departure of McAdam and the upcoming delisting of Gollant (no, I don’t care that he kicked 8 in the SANFL, he’s rightly being delisted).

We’re also in need of a wingman with the Chayce Jones experiment a dismal failure, plus the likes of McHenry and Murphy proving time and time again that they cannot contribute at an adequate level in this role. Sholl is doing well on one wing. The other wing for me needs to be one of Curtin, Nankervis and Cook. Today, Hinge spent a fair bit of time on a wing, but for me, Nank projects long-term as someone who WON’T remain in the D50, so Hinge returns to his role back there.

TLDR - Curtin should play as a wingman who rotates forward, with a handful of CBAs. That handful of CBAs gradually builds over time. It will emerge over the coming 18 months what his best long-term position is, but he clearly has a lot of versatility and could be a genuine weapon at stoppages, on a wing or up forward, and could also drop back as an interceptor when required. The future is bright here.
I thought he looked real good up the wing tonight, and obviously dangerous in the forward line during a pumping. Still a bit lost in the midfield, but seems to play defensively, ie not off the leash, look forward to him getting the confidence and licence to play mid, but there's a best 18 spot until he's ready.

There’s a lot to like, think he’ll be a great player.

but he is pretty slow.

Hopefully it’s the knee holding him back a bit, otherwise we’ll need to use him in roles where his opponent can’t run off him.

Anyone who claims Nicks got it right with Curtin is a buffoon.

The timeline suggests everything but. He made Nicks look foolish. Could have played round 1 in Murphy's position and he would have torn teams apart. Yet Nicks stuck with McHenry and Murphy. Also kept Curtin on the bench for an entire game because Murphy was clearly doing a good job.

Nicks is a fool. he got shown up. It makes the loss last week 10x worse and his refusal to play Curtin for longer and in positions where he thrives should really make even the happiest of clappers question Nicks ability to make sound decisions.

There’s a lot to like, think he’ll be a great player.

but he is pretty slow.

Hopefully it’s the knee holding him back a bit, otherwise we’ll need to use him in roles where his opponent can’t run off him.
Bont isn't quick.
Neither is Pendles.
Nor Dawson.

Rankine on the other hand...

The look on Nicks’ face after Curtins’ goal was priceless. A mixture of resentment, anger, resignation, consternation, constipation and a few other ations. It was like Curtin proved him wrong for not playing him earlier and now it’s going to be very hard for Nicks to drop or sub him for the remaining two games.

Just imagine what could have been if Nicks brought Curtin on earlier last week against Geelong and he did this in that last quarter.
Everyone was screaming for it

Nicks has cost us a place in the 8 with some of his bizarro decisions

The look on Nicks’ face after Curtins’ goal was priceless. A mixture of resentment, anger, resignation, consternation, constipation and a few other ations. It was like Curtin proved him wrong for not playing him earlier and now it’s going to be very hard for Nicks to drop or sub him for the remaining two games.
What on earth are you talking about? He looked happy for the kid as you obviously would be.

When Nicks put Curtin forward in the last quarter, is the theory here that he was hoping he wouldn't kick any goals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Back