Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Rioli will get his chance to impress tomorrow with the Suns faithful watching and assessing his worth, with the pumping up some tigers fans are giving him as an A grader he could come off looking more like Raygunn
Three time premiership player Rioli (in his prime) will have to prove his worth on the weekend to the Gold Coast Suns otherwise they mightn't want him. Makes sense

Throw in Bolton and done
Wink Flirting GIF by Michael Bolton

Also to add to this, they need to back Dimma 100%, if he deems Rioli the right guy it's his nuts on the line. Allow your triple premiership coach to assemble who he wants in the team and in a few years the proof will be in the pudding. They need to be pretty bold with list management decisions and take that next step.

Off topic but you look at Essendon with that absolute cancer Stringer still on the list and he should be made an example of to demonstrate the culture they want to have moving forward.

If we get Pick 5 for Rioli I definitely think it's overs but if that's what it's going to take then that's what will be needed. We have been great with facilitating players requests when out of contract but it's a pretty different situation right now and I think GC are one of the few clubs that can pay overs and have themselves not really lose anything by doing so.
I think Stringer could do ok at Collingwood.
I think having some clearly greater players like Pendelbury will help him.
I would be concerned though with why his kicking was so poor in last couple of games.

I think the only way we’ll land pick 5-7 is if we have a gentleman’s agreement to trade a slightly later pick back to GC live in the draft to avoid it being used on Lombard (can’t recall if the AFL forbids this).

It is more likely GC will want to keep 5 but be open to a favourable trade (to us) for their other picks.

GC could be open to trading all of picks 13, 20, 25 and 34 with us sending them back picks 39 & 41 (giving them roughly enough points to match Lombard).

Assuming Lombard is bid on around 10-15, at worst it would effectively mean GC have traded picks 13, 25 & 34 for Rioli. However, if the bid did come before 13 it would be Rioli for picks 20, 25 & 34.

Overall it’s a good result for both as GC get a top 6-8 player, Lombard and Rioli. We get picks 13, 20, 25 and can potentially package up 34 with other picks to obtain Brisbanes first.

But hey I’m no recruiter so I’d be interested to see GC’s initial offer and what Richmond’s potential counter offer is.

Yeah that will solve the problem

Animated GIF
The problem is they want a good half-back player and Dimma wants Rioli because he knows what he can get out of him and can persuade him to come to the gold coast. The are other good players half-backs that can do the job. They approached jason johannisen & Bailey Dale too according to club board itks. Rioli is not the only one they have targeted for the job. If they don't get Rioli, they'll find someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is they want a good half-back player and Dimma wants Rioli because he knows what he can get out of him and can persuade him to come to the gold coast. The are other good players half-backs that can do the job. They approached jason johannisen & Bailey Dale too according to club board itks. Rioli is not the only one they have targeted for the job. If they don't get Rioli, they'll find someone else.
Yeah but it won't be Bews or Hamill.

I think a lot of this deal hinges on where Dogs finish. Lose this weekend and get knocked out by the Lions I think the original rumour of Dogs pick & 20 will get done. Before that Crows game Dogs looked like a flag contender and it would be more like 16 & 20 and we would never accept that.

Any thought that people are giving this too much oxygen. Id certainly say that out of all the trade rumors doing the rounds that Rioli is the most likely person to stay loyal and see it out with the Tigers.

From a Tigers point of view also losing Bolton + Baker makes more sense then losing Rioli anyway

With the way the Suns disrespect opposition half-backs, I expect Rioli to have 30+ touches, maybe kick a goal and look like the best player on the ground today (most likely in a Richmond win), making the calls to use our first round pick louder from those down South.

I don’t agree with it but I absolutely think Cameron will use our pick to get him in, with either some minor points coming back or some sort of wage agreement to save face. His priorities will be: have points to afford Lombard, get Rioli/a HBF in, move everything else to next year, and he’s not exactly known for his shrewd moves to get all this done in an efficient manner.

Any thought that people are giving this too much oxygen. Id certainly say that out of all the trade rumors doing the rounds that Rioli is the most likely person to stay loyal and see it out with the Tigers.

From a Tigers point of view also losing Bolton + Baker makes more sense then losing Rioli anyway
Won't surprise if we hold one of Bolton or Rioli to their contract.

ok, glad to see you in another thread with your know it all opinions on all things RFC players related.

Also not playing in a team getting destroyed every week where his role is much much easier, but I still dont think he is as damaging. Again, its just opinion so all good

I think Short is a good example of a gun HB who has struggled in a wooden spoon team, where as Rioli has killed it demonstrating my point above.
You can say the same about dusty in a Fyfe comparison but I’m sure you never have

I think the only way we’ll land pick 5-7 is if we have a gentleman’s agreement to trade a slightly later pick back to GC live in the draft to avoid it being used on Lombard (can’t recall if the AFL forbids this).

It is more likely GC will want to keep 5 but be open to a favourable trade (to us) for their other picks.

GC could be open to trading all of picks 13, 20, 25 and 34 with us sending them back picks 39 & 41 (giving them roughly enough points to match Lombard).

Assuming Lombard is bid on around 10-15, at worst it would effectively mean GC have traded picks 13, 25 & 34 for Rioli. However, if the bid did come before 13 it would be Rioli for picks 20, 25 & 34.

Overall it’s a good result for both as GC get a top 6-8 player, Lombard and Rioli. We get picks 13, 20, 25 and can potentially package up 34 with other picks to obtain Brisbanes first.

But hey I’m no recruiter so I’d be interested to see GC’s initial offer and what Richmond’s potential counter offer is.
13, 20, 25 and 34 for Rioli, 39 and 41 is still well overs for Rioli but this idea makes a lot of sense. There's no incentive for Gold Coast to give up pick 5, especially for a half back.

13 and 20 is plenty for Rioli
That's more than we're likely to get for Barrass. If 12 + 27 is considered fair for Barrass, GC should be able to get Rioli for 13 + 37 or 20 + 26 (won't happen of course).

Won't surprise if we hold one of Bolton or Rioli to their contract.
I think you hold Rioli. Just think Gold Coast dont have the ability to give you a real good multiple assets type situation, especially when it comes to giving you some future picks considering they need to keep

Freo are likely to be able to give you some 2025 picks, as well as overpay on you keeping some of his salary and having a bloke who is more interested in leaving then say Rioli. Its also clear that Rioli is a A grade bloke who provides a bit of leadership too so that helps in a rebuilding side

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back