Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue is with teams paying significant overs far beyond what is within the realms of reasonable(accounting for contract status).

The AFL should step in for trades that are basically handouts, which is what pick 6 for Rioli would be.

If GC has any interest in making finals they cant be giving out charity like that. If they cant act in their own best interests then something has to be done to the club.
So pick 7 and Bowes to Geelong for nothing ok. Triple premiership star in his prime for pick 6 not ok?
Ok

My issue is with teams paying significant overs far beyond what is within the realms of reasonable(accounting for contract status).

The AFL should step in for trades that are basically handouts, which is what pick 6 for Rioli would be.

If GC has any interest in making finals they cant be giving out charity like that. If they cant act in their own best interests then something has to be done to the club.
There's been plenty of worse trades by all clubs than pick 6 for Daniel Rioli would be. Cerra, Saad, Weller, Bowes, McMahon, Yarran, Jaksch etc etc etc

There's been plenty of worse trades by all clubs than pick 6 for Daniel Rioli would be. Cerra, Saad, Weller, Bowes, McMahon, Yarran, Jaksch etc etc etc
The Cerra one wasnt unfair lol, and you wont find me defending dockers too often.

Any that are absolutely ludicrous should be stopped, and the integrity of the ones making the decisions at the club should be questioned

The Cerra one wasnt unfair lol, and you wont find me defending dockers too often.

Any that are absolutely ludicrous should be stopped, and the integrity of the ones making the decisions at the club should be questioned
Rioli for 6 is far from ludicrous. It's a little overs, but he is contracted long term.

If Cerra for 6 and a F3 is fine, you can't say Rioli for 6 is ludicrous and unfair. Freo bent Blues over.

Just playing in a premiership doesnt make the player a star. Wasnt he playing as a forward back then too?
Yep & he was a role player than it just shows you need them to win premierships.
He is a much better player now despite us being a worse team.

Rioli for 6 is far from ludicrous. It's a little overs, but he is contracted long term.
More than a little overs tbh
If Cerra for 6 and a F3 is fine, you can't say Rioli for 6 is ludicrous and unfair. Freo bent Blues over.
a young mid that was taken with pick 5, 4 years into his career and playing some good footy is absolutely worth that

Im not sure the point you are trying to make

Pay pick 6 for role players?
He isn't a role player anymore though.
  • he is contracted.
  • he is about to win the B&F.
we paid pick 6 for Prestia hadn't ever won a B&F at the Suns.
You are kidding yourself if you think Richmond aren't going to get anything but overs.
for a player that wins our B&F & is contracted.

He isn't a role player anymore though.
  • he is contracted.
  • he is about to win the B&F.
we paid pick 6 for Prestia hadn't ever won a B&F at the Suns.
You are kidding yourself if you think Richmond aren't going to get anything but overs.
for a player that wins our B&F & is contracted.
Im not saying you wont get overs??? Where do you think I said that?

Im saying pick 6 is beyond overs, the pick tied to the dogs and pick 20 is already good overs

You paid pick 6 for Prestia 8 years ago, he was a pick 9 young mid who was playing well for Gold Coast, I dont see how that disproves anything. A 23-24 year old mid is worth more than a 28 year old(at the start of next year) half back

Im not saying you wont get overs??? Where do you think I said that?

Im saying pick 6 is beyond overs, the pick tied to the dogs and pick 20 is already good overs

You paid pick 6 for Prestia 8 years ago, he was a pick 9 young mid who was playing well for Gold Coast, I dont see how that disproves anything. A 23-24 year old mid is worth more than a 28 year old(at the start of next year) half back
And everyone said pick 6 at time was overs for Prestia, and he was out of contract too, you got pay to play. I am 100% confident in Richmond. & what they will do this trade period they know they hold the cards.
I could care less where a player was picked in the draft. Rioli a was first pick as well.

Gold Coast Suns desperately need a player of Dan Rioli's ilk.

More than a little overs tbh

a young mid that was taken with pick 5, 4 years into his career and playing some good footy is absolutely worth that
Conversely, a triple premiership player in his prime who comes from the exact culture Dimma is trying to emulate at the Suns is worth a fair bit too. He's older, yes, but the culture and experience eh brings more than makes up for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conversely, a triple premiership player in his prime who comes from the exact culture Dimma is trying to emulate at the Suns is worth a fair bit too. He's older, yes, but the culture and experience eh brings more than makes up for a few years.
Youth > anything you can throw up in a post tt.

Why do you guys keep bringing up triple premiership as if he played a starring role?
yes he gets some experience from it, but come on

Hes not significantly better just because he went through it, I mean spuds like Frampton and Mason Cox are premiership players too lol

Why do you guys keep bringing up triple premiership as if he played a starring role?

Hes not significantly better just because he went through it, I mean spuds like Frampton and Mason Cox are premiership players too lol
We wouldn't have even made the first one without him

It's much deeper than that. I remember Jusitn Leppitsch once credited Daniel Rioli as one of the main drivers of the selfless, team first attitude that was a cornerstone of the breakthrough premiership and subsequent dynasty.

Dimma isn't just chasing Rioli for his game day performance. GCs culture is not where it needs to be. Mason Cox and Billy Frampton wouldn't change that. It's not that hard to comprehend.

A few thoughts:
1) "triple premiership player" is worth ZERO on the trade table. No credit for being in the right place at the right time.
2) At 28 next year, he is NOT in his prime (usually 25-27) for small to mid sized players. He will go downhill (slowly) from here.
3) He is a HBF, not an elite mid or KPP - no way he is worth pick #5.
4) His salary is probably heavily back ended - clubs often back end contract to stay in "the window" as long as possible.
5) I don't ever remember a club forcing a guy asking to leave a club and being held to a three year contact. Maybe one year (Himmelberg last year), but not three. Not much credit there either.

That said, GC might be willing to give up pick #5 for Rioli if:
1) He fits a need for them;
2) Richmond pay most of his (heavily back ended) salary; and
3) Richmond give them some draft capital too (I.e. a couple of late 2nd or 3rd round picks).

What the trade is GC gain a player able to provide leadership and mentoring to their team, plus an ability to move the ball quickly and incisively which they struggle with. To move their talented list from being competitive to being contenders they need two things IMHO. 1) Win away from home. - mental thing 2) Improve their ability to move the ball from defence to attack (Rioli is one the best at that).

That is why the club would be willing to pay overs for Rioli. He might change how they play the game. If GC can tap into their potential they can win a premiership. Rioli has abilities that GC doesn't have. But how much are they willing to pay for that?
Some clubs have 'overpaid' for specific players, i.e. Hawks for Brian Lake (seen as on the slide at the time).Geelong for Cameron. Tigers for Prestia. Filled a gap = premiership.

That is the key to why GC might pay a lot for Dan Rioli. Might. They may decide not to. But if he can change their game and they don't have the players to do that internally then they have the trade someone in. You don't do this sort of trade if you aren't in the zone to win the whole show. If you are in the zone then you go hard and hope it works out.

A few thoughts:
1) "triple premiership player" is worth ZERO on the trade table. No credit for being in the right place at the right time.
2) At 28 next year, he is NOT in his prime (usually 25-27) for small to mid sized players. He will go downhill (slowly) from here.
3) He is a HBF, not an elite mid or KPP - no way he is worth pick #5.
4) His salary is probably heavily back ended - clubs often back end contract to stay in "the window" as long as possible.
5) I don't ever remember a club forcing a guy asking to leave a club and being held to a three year contact. Maybe one year (Himmelberg last year), but not three. Not much credit there either.

That said, GC might be willing to give up pick #5 for Rioli if:
1) He fits a need for them;
2) Richmond pay most of his (heavily back ended) salary; and
3) Richmond give them some draft capital too (I.e. a couple of late 2nd or 3rd round picks).
LOL.

What the trade is GC gain a player able to provide leadership and mentoring to their team, plus an ability to move the ball quickly and incisively which they struggle with. To move their talented list from being competitive to being contenders they need two things IMHO. 1) Win away from home. - mental thing 2) Improve their ability to move the ball from defence to attack (Rioli is one the best at that).

That is why the club would be willing to pay overs for Rioli. He might change how they play the game. If GC can tap into their potential they can win a premiership. Rioli has abilities that GC doesn't have. But how much are they willing to pay for that?
Some clubs have 'overpaid' for specific players, i.e. Hawks for Brian Lake (seen as on the slide at the time).Geelong for Cameron. Tigers for Prestia. Filled a gap = premiership.

That is the key to why GC might pay a lot for Dan Rioli. Might. They may decide not to. But if he can change their game and they don't have the players to do that internally then they have the trade someone in. You don't do this sort of trade if you aren't in the zone to win the whole show. If you are in the zone then you go hard and hope it works out.
Im not saying they wouldnt pay overs!!!
I dont know where this is coming from. Im saying they SHOULD pay overs, and I expect they will.

I fully agree a player like Rioli is a big piece GC is missing

The difference is that hes worth the pick tied to the dogs. Add pick 20, theres your big overs.

Pick 6 is another whole thing

Mail is Richmond are the ones pushing this trade not Gold Coast. Gold Coast have 3x 1st round picks currently so they have a strong draft hand and looking to trade Lukosius back to SA losing his back ended contract. Richmond want to hit this draft and next hard to have majority of rebuild done before Tassie enters the comp.

Mail is Richmond are the ones pushing this trade not Gold Coast. Gold Coast have 3x 1st round picks currently so they have a strong draft hand and looking to trade Lukosius back to SA losing his back ended contract. Richmond want to hit this draft and next hard to have majority of rebuild done before Tassie enters the comp.
That is the opposite of everything anyone else has heard.

your mail is wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back