Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s 10 named ahead of him in the AA squad of 44 already

Throw in Stewart and Flanders this year you’re already at 12 then you can have your arguments over Lachie Ash/Karl Amon types which is where Rioli fits
Yep and Dan Rioli is the only one that will get 2 x 1st rounders ;)

Yep and Dan Rioli is the only one that will get 2 x 1st rounders ;)
He won’t unless they’re 2 back ended ones and that’s not true Houston will get significantly more because he’s a significantly better player Christ statistically Rioli isn’t much better than Lachie Bramble this year few more disposals yet worse kick efficiency and only .4 more score involvements

He won’t unless they’re 2 back ended ones and that’s not true Houston will get significantly more because he’s a significantly better player Christ statistically Rioli isn’t much better than Lachie Bramble this year few more disposals yet worse kick efficiency and only .4 more score involvements
Just watch #6 and another already packaged up and in the mail

Houston and Rioli stats are almost identical this year not sure which years you are looking at

There is some crazy stuff in this thread, but this is about the best.

As a forward, Rioli played a role, but was far from a star. By 2021, his sixth year, he was fringe. He had been dropped a couple of times and really hadn't shown much improvement since being drafted. Remember this thread?

Think this is well off

Rioli was instrumental in our first flag

Fractured his foot toward the end of the grand final and was a shadow of himself for the next 2-3 years to the extent I doubted we’d ever see him at his best again

Well over that now and is playing awesome footy

Love him

Will be devastated if we lose him because whatever we get for him won’t be enough.

What did we draft Dan for? About pick 12?

Lots of other players who are drafted around that pick do nothing in their careers.

Dan has only increased his value and he’s still at his peak.

Tiges would be crazy to ship him off for a pick equal to or less that what we drafted him for in the first place.

Proven top end talent worth more than a pick that may or may not turn out to be OK.

Either Suns or Tigers fans are likely going to feel really disappointed in this trade

From a Suns fan perspective pick 6 is way way over for a 28 yo HBF, he would be a nice addition but hardly the type to rocket us up the ladder and we would be bypassing a shot at an elite young talent in a wide open draft

From a Tigers perspective he is a chance to cash in and hit the draft before Tassie comes in but you also lose an experienced player that generates your play off the HBF

I think if the dogs pick 13-16 was used I think both teams would feel a little hard done by, which probably means it’s about right

Last edited:
Either Suns or Tigers fans are likely going to feel really disappointed in this trade

From a Suns fan perspective pick 6 is way way over for a 28 yo HBF, he would be a nice addition but hardly the type to rocket us up the ladder and we would be bypassing a shot at an elite young talent in a wide open draft

From a Tigers perspective he is a chance to cash in and hit the draft before Tassie comes in but you also lose an experienced player that generates your play off the HBF

I think if the dogs pick 13-16 was used I think both teams would feel a little hard done by, which probably means it’s about right
If he was uncontracted....

So the main precedence for a trade of this type of player is likely Saad, very similar age, same type (HBF). Saad gets pick 8, apparently 6 is WAY overs.

Dan Rioli is a better player than Saad was then, and is a better player than Saad is now, despite the stupid woof chants the Carlton fans throw out every time he kicks the ball 15m.

So the main precedence for a trade of this type of player is likely Saad, very similar age, same type (HBF). Saad gets pick 8, apparently 6 is WAY overs.

Dan Rioli is a better player than Saad was then, and is a better player than Saad is now, despite the stupid woof chants the Carlton fans throw out every time he kicks the ball 15m.
I am pretty sure Saad was 26 when traded to Blues but otherwise pretty similar comparison. In the end it's up to the clubs what is acceptable for them.

Rioli looks like a jet offensively. Defensively not so much. He would be handy, but I doubt he is missing piece for Suns. Suns got issues in the middle, with inside 50 deliveries, conversion.

Tigers can ask whatever they want and rightly so. He is under contract. Will Suns play along and include pick 6? Who knows. Does Dimma want him no matter what or is there a limit?

It will be fun. A lot of people live their lives and fight their battles here.

In the end picks are just hope. It takes years for draftees to develop and to deliver. Suns know better than any other club.

Good luck Tigers with a re-build.

It looks like Noble from Magpies just asked for trade to Suns. I guess, it could impact Rioli situation.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you prefer a 28yo or a 31yo Tom Lynch. Would you pay the same price for the later? I think we all know the answer

I didn't think he was until I read this thread. Now it seems pretty obvious that many people don't watch him play. Having the pleasure of watching him play every week live, you see the impact he has.
I have him in a keeper league so I watch him fairly close, his gut running both ways stands out, I don't have stats but I assume his repeat sprint efforts have to be high, he's also very creative by foot and still a great finisher in front of goal. He's a vacuum off the deck as well, rarely fumbles. Really rate him.

I have him in a keeper league so I watch him fairly close, his gut running both ways stands out, I don't have stats but I assume his repeat sprint efforts have to be high, he's also very creative by foot and still a great finisher in front of goal. He's a vacuum off the deck as well, rarely fumbles. Really rate him.
He's good but I'm still not trading pick 6 to get him if there is other assets. If there's a chance to keep 6 and get Rioli they'll find a way.

Posted in the Noble thread.
Noble & Rioli to suns with 47 & 48
Tigers get 13, 20, F1 (Suns)
Pies get 26, 29.

He's good but I'm still not trading pick 6 to get him if there is other assets. If there's a chance to keep 6 and get Rioli they'll find a way.

Posted in the Noble thread.
Noble & Rioli to suns with 47 & 48
Tigers get 13, 20, F1 (Suns)
Pies get 26, 29.

Don't the Suns have multiple academy players available to them in 2025. I thought they were ranked quite highly too, so I can't really see them trading out their F1 in order to get 1 of the guys in the draft this year. Is a player like Murphy Reid that important to potentially impact their drafting of players in 2025?

The trade above I'd have no problem with personally. Essentially 13, 20 F1 for 26, 47 and Rioli, but I just see the Suns trading their current year pick more than next years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back