Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't the Suns have multiple academy players available to them in 2025. I thought they were ranked quite highly too, so I can't really see them trading out their F1 in order to get 1 of the guys in the draft this year. Is a player like Murphy Reid that important to potentially impact their drafting of players in 2025?

The trade above I'd have no problem with personally. Essentially 13, 20 F1 for 26, 47 and Rioli, but I just see the Suns trading their current year pick more than next years.
Yes but Suns can trade 2 years ahead next season so it's a non-issue. Also I don't remember the limitations to Academy players still applies next season based on ladder position but Suns will likely be top 8 next season and the limitation is 2 bids currently.

He's good but I'm still not trading pick 6 to get him if there is other assets. If there's a chance to keep 6 and get Rioli they'll find a way.

Posted in the Noble thread.
Noble & Rioli to suns with 47 & 48
Tigers get 13, 20, F1 (Suns)
Pies get 26, 29.
My goodness that is an awful trade Suns give up 13, 20 AND a F1 for Rioli, just Bowes + 7 level awful.

I'm thinking it may lower Gold Coast's priority. They're similar players.
Maybe the Suns have realised Richmond are being unrealistic in what they want for Rioli and have moved on to their number 2 target for that position?

He's good but I'm still not trading pick 6 to get him if there is other assets. If there's a chance to keep 6 and get Rioli they'll find a way.

Pies get 26, 29.
Ah the old "We'll sneak a bunch of extra players and picks in there to try to disguise the fact we're reaming another club" trick....

Pies get 26, 29.
Get rid of the F1 to the Tigers, and get rid of pick 26 to the Pies.
Then its reasonable

GC are such an easy touch at the trade table. Always swimming in picks, always throwing them away like confetti. They need to grow up and trade like a real football club and not an immature plastic franchise
If what Cal is suggesting gets done, they have to take away all the bonuses from academies that GC get.

Its basically indirect compo picks to whichever club GC decides each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC are such an easy touch at the trade table. Always swimming in picks, always throwing them away like confetti. They need to grow up and trade like a real football club and not an immature plastic franchise
I mean drafting more young kids other than Academy aren't really going to help them further they already have core group of talented players they drafted got to have a balanced list.

Also it's not often that a senior quality players wants to go to the Suns also, that's the Dimma factor.

Tigers don't want to trade him.

Rioli wants to move.
I hate how player agents & players ask the club for more security from the club re-sign for 5 years than want out a couple years later.
I know things can change but it's one of the big issues imo in the AFL.

With Lombard tipped to go around 10, what exactly is the point in giving up pick 6??
In normal situations like this, the buying club gets a pick in BEFORE the academy bid is projected. You might see something like 6 used to draft a quality player, then say for example Lombard is bid on at 11, they would use the pick 17 or even some later picks to match him. Send 13 to Richmond for Rioli.
The net result would be:
IN - pick 6, Rioli, Lombard.

Now they will just get Rioli, Lombard and the later R1 picks will be burned up matching Lombard.

Are these people stupid or what?

I see GC havent learnt anything.

Just GC doing GC things
Keep your powder dry, just because Twomey mentioned pick 6 doesn’t mean that’s the deal, on gettable last week he admitted pick 6 was overs

With Lombard tipped to go around 10, what exactly is the point in giving up pick 6??
In normal situations like this, the buying club gets a pick in BEFORE the academy bid is projected. You might see something like 6 used to draft a quality player, then say for example Lombard is bid on at 11, they would use the pick 17 or even some later picks to match him. Send 13 to Richmond for Rioli.
The net result would be:
IN - pick 6, Rioli, Lombard.

Now they will just get Rioli, Lombard and the later R1 picks will be burned up matching Lombard.

Are these people stupid or what?
Lombard could easily be bid on before 6, with the draft being so even in that area

I hope west coast bids on him at 3 tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back