Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This by no means a comment on Fog’s value, but I’ve got to say, Kane Cornes is right about these long contracts.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked he’s committed, but was there really that much concern a local product like him would walk if we only gave him three more years?

All clubs are doing it, but we’ve seen plenty of contracts that teams already regret.

The only explanation I can think is managers are demanding this length or they won’t sign.

This by no means a comment on Fog’s value, but I’ve got to say, Kane Cornes is right about these long contracts.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m stoked he’s committed, but was there really that much concern a local product like him would walk if we only gave him three more years?

All clubs are doing it, but we’ve seen plenty of contracts that teams already regret.

The only explanation I can think is managers are demanding this length or they won’t sign.
He would absolutely explore his options if we offered 3 years, that would be an insult. Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne and Port would all go super hard with massive offers if they got wind the Crows were trying to offer only a 3 year extension.

He's a KPF in a prime age that appears to be very close to a major breakout, that will always net you 5+ years and rightfully so. He would be taking less money to stay, so gotta meet in the middle somewhere.

It's funny because I never hear Kane potting Port over giving out long contracts

SSP, JHF and Todd Marshall are all contracted until the end of 2029, Luko until the end of 2030 and Rozee until the end of 2032.

Enjoy Rory Atkins, Kane.
Whats he on $400k?

Luko on $1.2M per year in his last two with the Suns (meaning that will be incorporated into his new contract with Port).

I would all day, every day sign Fog for 6+ then pay $1.6M for Rat and Luko in 2025.

He would absolutely explore his options if we offered 3 years, that would be an insult. Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne and Port would all go super hard with massive offers if they got wind the Crows were trying to offer only a 3 year extension.

He's a KPF in a prime age that appears to be very close to a major breakout, that will always net you 5+ years and rightfully so. He would be taking less money to stay, so gotta meet in the middle somewhere.

If for arguments sake Luko wanted to stay at the Suns, it means Port could have offered Luko a massive contract to get him.

Its probably a similar reason why Rozee was offered his massive contract.

Dangerous strategy to under value local boys just because a self-belief they are not a flight risk

Flirting with pushing local boys interstate

Fog is a valuable asset no matter if he is local or not - we need to lock away our most valuable assets

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Touch wood he doesn't do a knee or something that like that. It's a risk with the long term contracts but also understand that is sometimes what it takes to get them over the line. Would have preferred 4 years with some KPI extension clauses.

He has definitely improved over the past few seasons and such a nice kick for goal. Can only see him getting better over the next few years.
Why would you say that!!!!

Go touch all the wood!

Touch wood he doesn't do a knee or something that like that. It's a risk with the long term contracts but also understand that is sometimes what it takes to get them over the line. Would have preferred 4 years with some KPI extension clauses.

He has definitely improved over the past few seasons and such a nice kick for goal. Can only see him getting better over the next few years.
Nonsense

Tex did a knee in 2013 and 10 years later made AA. Leading us to a GF in between.

The overreacting as if all long term deals are bad is ridiculous.

Happy with the signing. Gotta lock these best 22 players away.

Need a big season in 2025 where he really puts his stamp on the league...

But do have to remember - he kicked as many goals as Stringer and Will Hayward during 2024.

Think he can be a very good #2 forward and hopefully TT gives him that opportunity.

Needs to get to the point where those long form lapses stop happening.

His last 3/4 of the year were as good as almost anyone going around playing key forward. It's the first quarter of the season that stops the season looking that way.

If he can avoid those lapses going forward, then we might have a genuine 1A and 1B situation with Filthy.

Yeah but a different perspective. We sign him on for 3 years and then another 3 years later on? Why? He’s poised to be a really good player for years to come. There are not many forwards like him in the modern game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but a different perspective. We sign him on for 3 years and then another 3 years later on? Why? He’s poised to be a really good player for years to come. There are not many forwards like him in the modern game

But more significantly, longer contracts allow you to manipulate the values based upon when you might or might not be contending.

If you know you're most likely to be contending in two or three years, and you don't have anywhere else to spend the money this year, why wouldn't you want to front load contracts that might permit you to have contract control over a critical piece for years to come?

A six year front loaded contract is much more valuable in the later years than doing two three years, with the value spread.

It's funny because I never hear Kane potting Port over giving out long contracts

SSP, JHF and Todd Marshall are all contracted until the end of 2029, Luko until the end of 2030 and Rozee until the end of 2032.
He said he hated Rozee's contract and was less than enthusiastic about Luko's.

That sword cuts both ways. Both parties have risks and advantages with long-term contracts. Not sure why Kane focussed on the cost/risk to the club but not the player.

Kane is at least willing to tear them to shreds. You want to see someone who's gone full Reek, check out Tredrea.

That sword cuts both ways. Both parties have risks and advantages with long-term contracts. Not sure why Kane focussed on the cost/risk to the club but not the player.
Very good point.

We have signed nearly all our key players up to long term contracts... which not only stabilises the playing squad, but as usually done at a discount it enables us to bring in more talent like we did this trade period.

Yes, it means players may potentially give up a higher salary with shorter contracts & when they become free agents.

Also, risks us keeping a player longer than desired or paying out their contract, but if we get this right the cost should be lower than the gains.

I'm more concerned why we have re-signed fringe players like Strachan to longer deals.

Love this from FOG. He is hard at it, great skills and has matured so much the last couple of years. Ready to absolutely tear some games apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

Back