Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to have Fog locked away. I feel like he is ready to really break out next year and end up with 50-60 goals by the end of the year.

Nice to have Fog and Thilthorpe locked and loaded as our key forward now for a while. Both will keep getting better, especially once Tex has moved on and they get more forward 50 entries directed to them.
Just need Nick Murray re-signed & we have a good looking spine for sometime.

Fog overtook Tex this season.

I suspect Thilthorpe would have to if not for injury.

He would absolutely explore his options if we offered 3 years, that would be an insult. Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne and Port would all go super hard with massive offers if they got wind the Crows were trying to offer only a 3 year extension.

He's a KPF in a prime age that appears to be very close to a major breakout, that will always net you 5+ years and rightfully so. He would be taking less money to stay, so gotta meet in the middle somewhere.

I do get that the league is now at a point where if you don’t offer a really long deal you risk pissing off a player. I just think we’ve already seen so many long term contracts that clubs regret. I think we’re about 3-4 years from seeing NBA style salary dump trades become common.
Yeah but a different perspective. We sign him on for 3 years and then another 3 years later on? Why? He’s poised to be a really good player for years to come. There are not many forwards like him in the modern game
I just think there’s so many variables that mean locking in a bunch of players to long term deals. Its probably a moot point as given the climate I doubt a manager of a player like Fog would accept any less but it just doesn’t seem smart for clubs.

I do get that the league is now at a point where if you don’t offer a really long deal you risk pissing off a player. I just think we’ve already seen so many long term contracts that clubs regret. I think we’re about 3-4 years from seeing NBA style salary dump trades become common.

I just think there’s so many variables that mean locking in a bunch of players to long term deals. It’s probably a moot point as given the climate I doubt a manager of a player like Fog would accept any less but it just doesn’t seem smart for clubs.
Yeah i don’t know. I’m not sure what his annual salary will be, but let’s go with $500,000 per year. Unless his contract takes into consideration inflation he’s earning $3 mil over 6 years.
Now suppose it’s only 3 years now but in 3yearstime he’s going to be worth an extra $120,000 per year for 3 years so breaking that down it becomes $1.5 mil for first 3 years +$1.85 mil for next 3 years which is about $3.36 mil over the six years. A saving of about $360,000 by just one 6 year contract at $500,000. Of course I have absolutely no idea how contracts are orchestrated, nor their worth so this was simply a scenario I came up with.

He would absolutely explore his options if we offered 3 years, that would be an insult. Brisbane, Collingwood, Melbourne and Port would all go super hard with massive offers if they got wind the Crows were trying to offer only a 3 year extension.

He's a KPF in a prime age that appears to be very close to a major breakout, that will always net you 5+ years and rightfully so. He would be taking less money to stay, so gotta meet in the middle somewhere.
Everyone knows tho that years are the last thing a club wants to give usually, so we didn't really meet him in the middle you'd have to say, gave the full quota

Let's face it, there isn't really much to lose by offering a vital player like Fogarty a long-term contract. The reality is, we need him. If his form dips a little, we're going to be playing him anyway, to try and get him back into form.

If his form turns to utter garbage over the next few years, then we're not going to be contending anyway. We don't have another key forward coming up through the ranks like him.

If he cops a career-ending injury along the way, the AFL has introduced new salary cap relief rules this year in the wake of the Brayshaw situation. Admittedly those new rules only apply once he is in the final four years of his contract.

And if he finally turns into the undisputed gun he's threatened to over the last couple of seasons, then we've got him locked away with no danger of losing him to some monster free agency deal.

Happy to see he's locked in, but from a wider club perspective, why so long? It's not like he was a big risk of leaving.
I can inly assume it was to help us smooth his overall payments out over a longer period.

All we've done is guarantee him a medium level wage long term. If he turns into Wayne Carey next year then the contract gets renegotiated. All we've done is purchase veto rights. There's no way to accurately predict genuine contract value that far ahead.

All we've done is guarantee him a medium level wage long term. If he turns into Wayne Carey next year then the contract gets renegotiated. All we've done is purchase veto rights. There's no way to accurately predict genuine contract value that far ahead.
Money is the thing clubs give away first isn't it? As clubs hate giving away years and we gave them away, you'd think the money is good. I think as stabby said not the end of the world either at least we're keeping a player for once

Let's face it, there isn't really much to lose by offering a vital player like Fogarty a long-term contract. The reality is, we need him. If his form dips a little, we're going to be playing him anyway, to try and get him back into form.

If his form turns to utter garbage over the next few years, then we're not going to be contending anyway. We don't have another key forward coming up through the ranks like him.

If he cops a career-ending injury along the way, the AFL has introduced new salary cap relief rules this year in the wake of the Brayshaw situation. Admittedly those new rules only apply once he is in the final four years of his contract.

And if he finally turns into the undisputed gun he's threatened to over the last couple of seasons, then we've got him locked away with no danger of losing him to some monster free agency deal.
Good post that covers all angles. I will also remind myself this is not the same as the other long term deals that backfired on us. Those were mostly older players and failing to spot when a guy has peaked and trading proactively. Apples and oranges.

If Fogarty started next year really quickly and he hadn't been signed, clubs would be circling with monster offers almost immediatley imo. He's a 25 year old key forward, ready to break out, who has had 7 years of development in the system.... They don't grow on trees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Fogarty - Re-Signed to End of 2031

Back