chrisjudd3

Senior List
Jun 25, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
I was surprised that Glass was thrown into the forward line.

He reminded of Chris Tarrant without the any goals kicked but anyway do you think he has a future in the forward line?

No, not because of talent, but I think he's definitely being groomed to take over from Jako or Milli.

He played at CHF simply because Gardy missed and no other tall travelled. He put in a decent effort, but I woiuldn't expect to see him there that often.

I thought the lad was wasted at HF, but in all fairness, does anyone think he can be groomed for the role?

I think we do miss a player of the calibre of Chris Waterman who could play both ends of the ground, in my opinion, with Glass, if he could fill out a little more and develop his upper body strength, he could be used at HF or HB.

We really need a player in the side who could step up to this role....

Originally posted by Goldenblue

We really need a player in the side who could step up to this role....

What about Embley? The kid has the attributes to play at both ends of the ground, all he needs is to be a bit more consistent and he could be a good player. Maybe chucking Embley into defence and Glass up forward could work? They certainly haven't excelled in their current positions, maybe a switch will do them good?

• Banned
I saw Embley get thrown into the backline a few times, he plyed quite well, a role change could be like a fresh breeze for their careers.

Glass has that speed required of a half forward floating across to take marks.

However his kicking is crap and he handballs more often than he kicks, people have noted his lack of confidence to kick the ball out of the defence.

He does have the body and athelticism, does he have the football smarts??

As for Embley he's got that aggression needed for our defence, I've seen him pop out of the shadows and reveal his natural grunt at the opposition.

Embley has the size and mobility for it, if he can't kick goals then by golly he should claim a few scalps in the backline.

I thought Glass had been used at HF during some of his WAFL appearances...didn't he kick a couple of goals a few weeks back during his stint in the WAFL?
Glass is one of 4 players in the team who are vying for some sort of position either up front or back, on the spine, or as the third tall. The others are Haynes, Hunter and Embley.
IMO Hunter is the only one who so far has shown enough to warrant being in the team on a regular basis.
As for the others, it could be argued Haynes does not get/has not had enough time on the ground to settle down and get into the action, and therefore has not made the most of his chances to date.
Embley IMO has been given every chance to cement a place, but is lacking consistency, and confidence, but as they keep playing him, they must hold him in some regard -I think I would have sent him back to the WAFL by now for a spell.
Glass obviously has some ability, but is a negative, nullifying sort of player, and therefore does not stand out. He also seems to lack confidence at AFL level. I have only seen him play live the once, against Adelaide, and although Burton kicked six, I thought Glass did do some good stuff, and the kid never gave up. However, there was an occasion when after wrestling with Burton in the goalsquare he broke clear and could have marked the incoming ball easily, and runoff with it to counterattack. Instead he made a hamfisted attempt to punch the ball, missed it and Adelaide got a goal. To me that means he does not feel confident when he is going after the ball, and it lets him down.
Contrast that with Lynch who comes in, takes a shirtload of contested marks, kicks goals and looks like he belongs out there, and enjoys it.
Now perhaps Glass has no confidence because of what happened to him last year in this team when he often got a key possie player to look after and got a shellacking from both the opposition and the coach.

It certainly doesn't hurt to throw a couple of guys around the park for more experience. Reverse the rolls here and there. They may even show us a few new tricks or learn new skills. These don't have to be long term manuvers but it will certainly help with player development.

The extent to which players are swapped around does have to be balanced with winning games and making finals.

Personnally I'd like to see Glass up forward a bit more to see how the other half live. It may help with his confidence, give him a different perspective and a new focus.

I don't know if we'll see it often, but it's a positive move.

I rate David Haynes highly, I just wished the match committee would give him some regular games to prove his worth.

He's robust and smart and has a goalsense. He evens hoofs the ball from outside 50m.

He's got football smarts as a half forward flanker. Give him a chance Woosha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren Glass a tall floating forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back