David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Koch is a bellend but I do agree with this.

However the obsession of no debt is so risk adverse for a business this size that it’s unhealthy.

Some debt is fine to increase our returns
Well posters on here in the past have crtiticised our Corporate Administration's obsession with being ultra risk averse, instead of applying a balanced risk/opportunity approach to governance and running of the Club.

Even if a member-appointed board is a pipe dream, is it too much to ask that it actually be made up of Port supporters? It'd be nice for someone in management to care about the train wreck that this season has become.

Top 4 after minor round last year, sell the farm to bring in the "missing pieces", and now 9th with a bottom 10 finish looking most likely. And it's the fans who are the problem, with their unreasonable expectations :rolleyes:

So let’s lay it all out on the table:

Since being told very smugly by Koch that Ken was unequivocally the “best man for the job” when he was extended last August, we’ve exited the 2023 finals without even a whimper and now won’t even be in the Top 8 at the end of Round 18 of the following season?

Fail.

Last edited:
My question for this was Koch and his business skills the main reason for our financial turn around or was it just that he happened to be in the drivers seat when we moved to Adelaide Oval and got a better deal. There is also the general increase in revenue overall in the AFL. And then was he a major player is securing good sponsorship dollars or was it other people who did the hard work?

Basically I want to know how much Koch's monetary skills and connections to big business actually helped our financial position.

I am happy to give praise where praise is due but you hear the China stories where he Koch sounds like a dilletante and detrimental to the process even though there were successes possibly in spite of his arrogance.

I just want to know the full story because his on field administration has been beyond terrible but it would be a type of saving grace if he was the main reason we are back as a club financially.

He was the driver behind a lot of the major sponsors. Adelaide Oval gave the Club a boost, but no where near to the degree that it explains the Club's financial position. Way too simplistic to connect those two and say a monkey could have gotten Port into this position from Adelaide Oval alone.

Let's not kid ourselves here - the man is an arrogant twat, but I challenge you to look at the other 17 Chairs of each Board at AFL level, they too are equally as arrogant and at times, obnoxious. But he's done a great job financially setting the Club up for long term sustainability.

His biggest failing has been trusting CD as essentially the sole "footy expert" to drive decision making surrounding all things football. My personal hope is now that Warren is on the Board, CD will have someone who can challenge him who is effectively his superior.

He was the driver behind a lot of the major sponsors. Adelaide Oval gave the Club a boost, but no where near to the degree that it explains the Club's financial position. Way too simplistic to connect those two and say a monkey could have gotten Port into this position from Adelaide Oval alone.

Let's not kid ourselves here - the man is an arrogant twat, but I challenge you to look at the other 17 Chairs of each Board at AFL level, they too are equally as arrogant and at times, obnoxious. But he's done a great job financially setting the Club up for long term sustainability.

His biggest failing has been trusting CD as essentially the sole "footy expert" to drive decision making surrounding all things football. My personal hope is now that Warren is on the Board, CD will have someone who can challenge him who is effectively his superior.
What credentials did CD have for being a footy expert in the highest competition in the land for Koch to put all his chips in the CD basket? It’s unfathomable

What credentials did CD have for being a footy expert in the highest competition in the land for Koch to put all his chips in the CD basket? It’s unfathomable

I have absolutely no idea how he has hoodwinked the board into positioning himself as a can't do wrong expert on all things footy. It beggars belief.

I am comfortable however knowing that Tredrea is in the same room as CD and is asking the pertinent questions to hold him to account, and hopefully wake up some of the Board members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your perspective on this.

It doesn't completely make sense to me that Kockle Brother is a cunning, shrewd business man but on the same page he wasn't shrewd enough to work out that Chris Davies, not even from a footballing background, is performing poorly as the expert on football matters. He would just need to ask a myriad of Port people or footballing people for their opinion and a get a different perspective but obviously doesn't.

I can handle arrogance with results but arrogance without results is not worth it.
I prefer confidence. Arrogance is fake confidence.

Davies and Richardson are the glue. Move them on and it will be like a deck of cards falling.
Davies in particular, I think Koch being interstate relies on Davies too much, I think with him gone the toothless tiger in Richardson will be exposed and have nowhere to hide, the coach will them become collateral damage, bye Ken.

Sadly about 60k of this total are ok with things, there in lies our biggest problem.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

These numbers have been tweaked league-wide. They are incomparable with past numbers from not long ago.

Remember when we had AusGold as a sponsor then it turned out to a scam? Lmao.

KT drove the footy department changes, and when he left, CD got the real power.

But KT couldnt drive the off field financial security stuff, so he went heavily into the community programs stuff, and Richo took over running the financial stuff and is part of why we now have 6 x $1m+ sponsors / partners.

Remember when we had AusGold as a sponsor then it turned out to a scam? Lmao.
This was just before Koch's time, but I can recall a sponsor (Myatm?) that had a female director named Fifi or Kiki (or something like that), who looked like she had lost her job as a Las Vegas showgirl in the 1970's and hadn't been employed since.

I believe they didn't pay us either!

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back