Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, he had nothing in that contest against Lynch.

Funny how Fletcher's three or four turnover kicks don't rate a mention, yet a promising kid yet to overcome injuries does.

That seems to be the LLoyd way and it is not just with us either he gets into young blokes from other sides as well.
I think he takes the straight shooter point too far.

Having said that he has come up with one of the best tests at draft camp with the clean hands test where they fire the ball in on the bounce and players have to get it cleanly and fire a handball out to a position that is nominated late.

Getting back to Myers i said a long while ago that we had to judge him only when he has been able to play a string of senior games. I made the mistake of jumping off the band wagon but history does show that they do start ti find their level once the can play a few games in a row and get used to the pace of the game. Has been the same with Watson, Hocking, Zaka and even Hurley to a degree.

I'm sure lloyd was in many a team meeting and many a coaches meeting when inner sanctum things were being discussed at the efc.

I'm sure he is speaking about things he knows about from his time at the club. Whether or not he should share them all is another thing. But it seems like something that has been idenetified in house about Myers.

fwiw Myers did look spent towards the end of the game and he did just chuck the ball on the boot a few times off one step and possibly could have at least tried to arm chop lynch rather than meekly flopping off to the side. But these are not things that i would single him out for as being piss poor. He was not alone in the second half for tired type mistakes during a 22+ degree day on that big ground.

He is moving in the right direction and should break out next year.

Lloyd picked up on two incidents (one a quick clearing kick under pressure that got turned over, the other being beaten by Lynch in a contest) as examples of Myers having no tank, despite neither incident being much to do with fitness.

And despite us being down to two on the bench by that point and having the entire team get cut to shreds as everyone was hurting.

Lloyd is pretty average at times, he certainly has his pet points that he likes to push regardless of what is actually going on.

I thought that what Lloyd said was probably accurate enough about his endurance. However, what Lloyd didn't acknowledge was that Myers had played 98% of game time for the match and was coming off a one week injury layoff. I think that given the role he had on Lynch for the entire day without much of a break he had every right to feel stuffed. All of our backs didn't get much of a rest given we were down on rotations due to injuries.

Lloyd picked up on two incidents (one a quick clearing kick under pressure that got turned over, the other being beaten by Lynch in a contest) as examples of Myers having no tank, despite neither incident being much to do with fitness.

And despite us being down to two on the bench by that point and having the entire team get cut to shreds as everyone was hurting.

Lloyd is pretty average at times, he certainly has his pet points that he likes to push regardless of what is actually going on.
Both incidents were very reflective of the fact that he was stuffed. Wouldn't have been the only player given the injuries, but still very relevant to fitness.

I think Lloyd has made the transition from player to commentator very well. He has now crossed over to the typical style of many who think they have to say something deep to make them sound intelligent and fill in minutes, rather than see it as simply a bad handball tired kick etc.
He is guilty however of having blinkers on when it comes to giving truthful comments on some of his ex team mates as that could be too uncomfortable when they have a beer next.

Myers was fine not great but not showing anymore skill errors or lack of fitness than anyone else in the team.

I think most people acknowledge that he needs to really build his tank. You could see on the weekend he was so wrecked he had to be moved forward to rest him. He did ok as a forward though.

I think he has been pretty good this year. He has often been playing on bigger opponents and has rarely been beaten. If he has a strong preseason keeps building his tank he will become even better next season.

I am happy with his season. It has been a plus that he has been able to get through plenty of games and you can see in his performance that he is becoming more comfortable.

You could see on the weekend he was so wrecked he had to be moved forward to rest him. He did ok as a forward though.

I've been wanting to see this move for awhile now, less so since Crameri moved forward, but none the less, could be huge in contested ground situations, plus a huge kick allowing us to get over presses. Hopefully he starts up forward in the future.

Could it be trialled this week, with Crameri gone?

This is a bloody good idea and one I personally hadn't considered. Is strong and will present himself. Has the ability to be dangerous kicking for goal from anywhere within 60-70m. Perfect chance to trial it against Port.

The coaching panel seem to be grooming players to play in more than one position apart from the obvious (Fletcher, Hooker etc). Myers could become a very good utility with a big tank under his belt and as a forward - never expected that! I wouldn't expect that to become a permanent fixture but with Pears and Hurley back this week, it might time we get see Jake the Snake play at CHF.

Myers could become a very good utility with a big tank under his belt.

Lol

I actually think this is the single most over rated spin on our board, along with the "Scott gumbleton is the missing link" spin..

Myers is what, 22 now.. Seriously have doubts on him becoming a midfielder full time.. Still could be a handy utility still

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a bloody good idea and one I personally hadn't considered. Is strong and will present himself. Has the ability to be dangerous kicking for goal from anywhere within 60-70m. Perfect chance to trial it against Port.

Yeah cause Port are a real benchmark hey?

Lol

I actually think this is the single most over rated spin on our board, along with the "Scott gumbleton is the missing link" spin..

Myers is what, 22 now.. Seriously have doubts on him becoming a midfielder full time.. Still could be a handy utility still
People had doubts on Ablett Jr. until '07... not saying he will be close to his level, but the improvement can happen.

Lol

Which is exactly what he said.
Yeah cause Port are a real benchmark hey?
I think he meant it was a perfect opportunity to trial it against Port, because they're so bad. Not much to lose.

Lol

I think your forgetting that really he had no development under the Knights era. Pretty much did the "hokey pokey" for three years. Forget that he has been in the system for 4 years, this is the first year under decent coaching staff and look what a difference it has made. Who knows what he is capable of but at least he is starting to show that he has something.

It's also funny that he's played a few pretty good games once he's been able to string some games together.

Not to mention he's yet to complete a preseason, or play an entire season without getting injured. Imagine what he could do if that actually happened.

See that's what i would like to hear. Let's stop all the negativity and rally behind OUR team and lets get these boys to perform like they should. Look at Stantons turn around! Who saw that coming?

People had doubts on Ablett Jr. until '07... not saying he will be close to his level, but the improvement can happen.

Ablett wad shown glimpses in his early games that he was going to become a fairly decent player. He obviously exceeded expectations in that regard but the talent is certainly there.

I think your forgetting that really he had no development under the Knights era. Pretty much did the "hokey pokey" for three years. Forget that he has been in the system for 4 years, this is the first year under decent coaching staff and look what a difference it has made. Who knows what he is capable of but at least he is starting to show that he has something.

What so because it was a different coach back then they took no notice what so ever in him? :cool:

Yes he has been afforded the luxury of playing consecutive games this year but I still have question marks as to what his true position is?

I personally think he is vying for Pears in that 3rd tall defender role or running defender in which is he better than Dempsey or Hardingham or Dyson Heppell?

I think that Myers really is going to become a depth player with no real position.

Body - on - body he is not really that great in defence, his wonder boot is not the greatest like everyone makes it out to be, he is not fit enough to be a midfield rotation, and his goal kicking (I think) leaves a little to be desired about.

I can only see him becoming a depth player who could come in play a variety of roles but not an out an out star.

Ablett wad shown glimpses in his early games that he was going to become a fairly decent player. He obviously exceeded expectations in that regard but the talent is certainly there.

What so because it was a different coach back then they took no notice what so ever in him? :cool:

Yes he has been afforded the luxury of playing consecutive games this year but I still have question marks as to what his true position is?

I personally think he is vying for Pears in that 3rd tall defender role or running defender in which is he better than Dempsey or Hardingham or Dyson Heppell?

I think that Myers really is going to become a depth player with no real position.

Body - on - body he is not really that great in defence, his wonder boot is not the greatest like everyone makes it out to be, he is not fit enough to be a midfield rotation, and his goal kicking (I think) leaves a little to be desired about.

I can only see him becoming a depth player who could come in play a variety of roles but not an out an out star

i'm a fan of his and want him to succeed but i cant really argue with any of what was just said....

there is always the possiblilty that he is just one of those players that are inbetween size and have no real position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back