David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he’s (Kato) a fantastic bloke - I ended up in NZ during a Test in Wellington in 2005 and fluked staying at the same Hotel as the Aus Team - I got a few bats signed for my boys and when he found out I’d played at Randwick he invited me to have breakfast with him the next day and swap a few stories - probably the most telling comments came from blokes at Wests who reckoned when he finished cricket they didn’t think he’d have a friend out of the game - aside from Warne

You obviously played for them shortly before merging. Were Randwick struggling at the time?

Also, given where Clarke came from I'd have thought someone would have taken him aside and told him to improve his act at some point. Warner is far more a man of the people than Clarke having grown up in the eastern suburbs (albeit in housing commission).

Last edited:
Boon scored 7500 runs at an average of almost 44, batting as an opener and number three, against some of the greatest fast bowlers to have ever played the game. The disrespect being shown in this thread is to Boon by people being so dismissive of him and probably by some too young to see him play.

i agree about people under selling boon he was on par with warner but you can't compare the bowling attacks to this day an age,

walsh
ambrose
akram

compared to

anderson
board
steyn

that's what makes test cricket so great over 10 years the big teams have super bowlers.

i agree about people under selling boon he was on par with warner but you can't compare the bowling attacks to this day an age,

walsh
ambrose
akram

compared to

anderson
board
steyn

that's what makes test cricket so great over 10 years the big teams have super bowlers.

In one series (1992-93) Boon faced an attack if I recall rightly of Ambrose - who many people in this forum rate as perhaps the best fast bowler they’ve ever seen, Courtney Walsh who had the world record for wickets, Ian Bishop was as fast as any of them and could have been anything if he didn’t break his back, and Patrick Patterson who was regarded by his own teammates and some of the toughest batsmen of the era as the fastest and scariest bowler of the entire era.

In one series (1992-93) Boon faced an attack if I recall rightly of Ambrose - who many people in this forum rate as perhaps the best fast bowler they’ve ever seen, Courtney Walsh who had the world record for wickets, Ian Bishop was as fast as any of them and could have been anything if he didn’t break his back, and Patrick Patterson who was regarded by his own teammates and some of the toughest batsmen of the era as the fastest and scariest bowler of the entire era.

In fact he scored a century against this exact attack at Brisbane, and he scored a century against the same attack except you can sub out Bishop and sub in a guy called Malcolm Marshall at Sabina Park two seasons earlier

I don't like him but let's be real, he should be ranked higher than Taylor and Boon as an opener.
I can see an argument for that, but i'll go for Taylor and Boon simply due to the fact that they played against arguably the greatest pace attack of all time in the West Indies for over a decade in their respective careers. I place Warner 10th.

I was the first to dis Boon in this thread.

I did that because he was listed alongside Steve Waugh and Border. Boon was simply not in their class.

He was obviously a very good player though.

The comparisons with Taylor are interesting. You think Warner’s last few seasons have been poor? How do you reckon Taylor finished?

Did they? Are you sure? The evidence clearly suggests he is well regarded both in the Australian team and around the world.
By all reports from people in the know he is very divisive in the Australian team setup. Internationally in franchises I cannot say as I only have heard from people connected locally.

I think the more correct statement would be he is very, very respected for his cricketing abilities. Everything else though is up for debate.

By all reports from people in the know he is very divisive in the Australian team setup. Internationally in franchises I cannot say as I only have heard from people connected locally.

I think the more correct statement would be he is very, very respected for his cricketing abilities. Everything else though is up for debate.

From the outside looking in based on a combination of the media narrative, his teammates’ comments, what opposition sides say about him in the past and now, I would say for the first two thirds of his career he was a bit of a dickhead, as he’s gotten older he’s matured at least a little bit, has settled down somewhat, still retains some of what made him a dickhead but by and large has managed to keep it under control and you see that a bit on the field in how he manages to actually have a joke with the opposition now and rarely finds himself locked in snarling exchanges and heated debate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was the first to dis Boon in this thread.

I did that because he was listed alongside Steve Waugh and Border. Boon was simply not in their class.

He was obviously a very good player though.

The comparisons with Taylor are interesting. You think Warner’s last few seasons have been poor? How do you reckon Taylor finished?

Outside of Taylor's first year, he averaged 40 or thereabouts, so I'd rank him below Warner purely on batting.

But his captaincy of course elevates him.

Outside of Taylor's first year, he averaged 40 or thereabouts, so I'd rank him below Warner purely on batting.

But his captaincy of course elevates him.
Many would say Taylor being captain is the only reason he survived so long. They basically replaced Healy as VC with Steve Waugh in case they had to drop Taylor in '97.

Many would say Taylor being captain is the only reason he survived so long. They basically replaced Healy as VC with Steve Waugh in case they had to drop Taylor in '97.

Oh absolutely.

The only other batsman whom I can recall having an equivalent form slump and surviving is Mike Hussey, and that was in a weaker era.

It may have been only for one series beyond an earlier-in-his-career occasional capacity but there is one encouraging precedent for Smith going up the order in a temporary capacity.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you a man by the name of Rahul Dravid.

If you cast your minds back to 2011 when India went to England, Dravid was seemingly getting towards the end as a test batsman and the once indestructible lynchpin of their top order was mixing most decent series with a couple of bad ones.

They threw him in to open in England, and he repaid them with 500 runs and 3 centuries

If there’s one guy who has the temperament and the - odd admittedly - technique to replicate that sort of performance it is Steve Smith

From the outside looking in based on a combination of the media narrative, his teammates’ comments, what opposition sides say about him in the past and now, I would say for the first two thirds of his career he was a bit of a dickhead, as he’s gotten older he’s matured at least a little bit, has settled down somewhat, still retains some of what made him a dickhead but by and large has managed to keep it under control and you see that a bit on the field in how he manages to actually have a joke with the opposition now and rarely finds himself locked in snarling exchanges and heated debate
What i am told, at least pre sand-paper, aligns with what you think. Very well summarised.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back