Day After Day After New Year Test: Australia v India @ Sydney (Tue-Sat) Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the worst dropped catch by a keeper (besides Akmal) since Gilly's at Adelaide in 2008. Should signal his end, but since it seems the selectors have earmarked Tim Paine as our next keeper then who knows if Wade will come in.

What was with the unnecessary jump and roll to try and make it look good?

That's the worst dropped catch by a keeper (besides Akmal) since Gilly's at Adelaide in 2008. Should signal his end, but since it seems the selectors have earmarked Tim Paine as our next keeper then who knows if Wade will come in.

You mean that one to Laxman (Gilchrist's keeping was terrible for most of that series)? Well, at least Gilchrist actually touched that one.

12845765.jpg

They should put Wade in the squad for the next test, if for no other reason than to give Haddin an indication that his spot isn't secure.

And guess what - Gilly retired because of it.

Haddin needs to follow suit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner threw the ball up in the air, albeit very poorly. Gibbs dropped it while celebrating prematurely.

Edit: **** I wish Haddin took that catch, so we could be talking about a great day of cricket for Australia instead of another 10 pages of Haddin bashing. He deserves it, but it's not exactly enjoyable reading and takes the focus off an amazing day.

Just seen Warner's catch.

Under the old law (think H Gibbs 1999 World Cup), would that have been out?

Stay on topic cheif, the public humiliation of Brad Haddin still has some time to run.

I've reached the conclusion that Haddin is a master troll. People with functioning hands can generally at least get them to the ball before dropping it.

Of course it would. Warner had control of the ball.

Warner threw the ball up in the air, albeit very poorly. Gibbs dropped it while celebrating prematurely.

Edit: **** I wish Haddin took that catch, so we could be talking about a great day of cricket for Australia instead of another 10 pages of Haddin bashing. He deserves it, but it's not exactly enjoyable reading and takes the focus of an amazing day.
I would argue he didn't have complete control of the ball, as was required by the old law.

You have a point SJ, but I still think Warner would have been stiff for that to be considered dropping the ball even back then.

Does anyone have footage of a similar looking catch that wasn't called a catch? Gibbs' is very different, so they can't be compared imo.

I would argue he didn't have complete control of the ball, as was required by the old law.

From memory he dived to his left, took the catch with both hands above his head, tumbled to the ground and then stood up and threw the ball up (albeit in a pretty unco manner). If that's not controlling the ball then nothing is.

Gibbs was different because his attempt to take the catch and throw the ball up was all in one constant motion, whereas Warner dived to the ground and stood up, all with ball in hand.

Edit: **** I wish Haddin took that catch, so we could be talking about a great day of cricket for Australia instead of another 10 pages of Haddin bashing. He deserves it, but it's not exactly enjoyable reading and takes the focus of an amazing day.

I think we are all just having a little rant and getting it out of the system, in a few hours we will all settle down and focus on still being in a very good position and then we will appreciate what clarke and hussey achieved today.

But for now...

angry-mob.JPG

From memory he dived to his left, took the catch with both hands above his head, tumbled to the ground and then stood up and threw the ball up (albeit in a pretty unco manner). If that's not controlling the ball then nothing is.

Gibbs was different because his attempt to take the catch and throw the ball up was all in one constant motion, whereas Warner dived to the ground and stood up, all with ball in hand.
The old law had a clause about having complete control over the further disposal of the ball.

In any case, it doesn't matter now.

The old law had a clause about having complete control over the further disposal of the ball.

In any case, it doesn't matter now.

In that case, it was technically probably dropped. But you find me an umpire who'd call Sehwag back :p

But yes, it's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back