Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, Beams posted a photo of him with his dad on instagram with the following caption.

"So happy to be able to have a beer with my old man after 8 months , he beat the prick of a disease and is living life to its fullest . Proud to be his son !!"

Unless I'm missing something I'm unaware of here.....
You know cancer can come back, right?

Aren't Pies fans filthy that the Pies backed down on their "quality player from Brisbane" stance. I thought Dekka was unequivocal.

The real deadline (not the confected one) is 2pm Thursday, if nothing gets done, we're stuck with Christensen, pick 5 and 25. Woe is us right?

Pies have a disgruntled gun with a contract going tick... tick... tick

Oh I forgot to mention that Brisbane will also have a massive amount of cap space to bank for next year. Gee, I wonder what we'll be doing with that next year...

We shall now see what GWS and GCS have to say. As you rightly point out there is still time to make trades with the others, who have players. No point having money when you have nothing to spend it on.

You're suggesting that pick 5 isn't good enough as it is a bit of a lottery, you could do this for all draft picks including even pick 1. No draft pick guarantees you a better player than Beams, which is what you are demanding.

You could've picked Aish with the same pick last year, Ollie Wines the year before, Chad Wingard the year before that. It's not as bad as you think.
Nah, I'm saying I would want the average of all the players taken at this pick to be around Beams' value. Not guaranteed at all. Pretty simple to understand if you're not trying to disagree with me for the sake of it.
I suppose pick 55 is ultra valuable, because you could've drafted Langdon last year, or Swan in 2001, or Hird ages ago, or Dean Cox, or Aaron Sandilands or...

For what it's worth, Beams posted a photo of him with his dad on instagram with the following caption.

"So happy to be able to have a beer with my old man after 8 months , he beat the prick of a disease and is living life to its fullest . Proud to be his son !!"

Unless I'm missing something I'm unaware of here.....
Must not have had enough characters to type.......**** you Collingwood, I don't want to play for Figgy anymore!

3AW have confirmed final offer was.
Pick 5, Pick 21 & Pick 25
For
Beams & Pick 30.
Brisbane have balls it up.

If Bris knocked that back and the Pies knocked back 5 + 21 this entire deal fell over on a 2nd round upgrade of 5 spots LOL.

Biggest cluster *&*& by both teams EVER

WTF was Collingwood thinking with that press release if they were seriously that close.

Which I don't understand. Just look at the players drafted at those positions that last 5 years

2013: Kol.(5), Impey(21), McStay(25).
2012: Stringer(5), Hrovat(21), White(25).
2011: Buntine(5), Mitchell(21), Ross(25).
2010: Polec(5), Lamb(21), Karnezis(25).
2009: Cunnington(5), Bastinac(21), Black(25).

Pick 5 would have to turn out to be a donkey for you to be any serious risk of not getting fair compensation, you would have to say even the worst pick 5 (from compromised drafts) has been pretty good. The problem is the time investment that it might require vs the output you are already getting currently from Beams.

I think the problem is Collingwood supporters and club over-rate their players, Beams is a great player but it doesn't take a superstar to excel on the inside, you just need the right type of inside player plus the time investment, not everyone can play that role, but that type of player is common enough. Good inside mids usually can be acquired quite cheap because they don't usually excel as juniors, they need their body to mature.

You know cancer can come back, right?
Obviously. Cancer can strike anyone at anytime.

It's also obviously a completely different situation to the one that a lot of people are trying to paint (i.e, his dad currently dying of cancer).

I can understand this being a situation where his dad falling ill has made Beams want to be closer to his family (because as you so eloquently and sarcastically said, who knows when it can come back, right?). As far as I can tell though, his dad currently does not have cancer and is not dying of cancer, as most people seem to be arguing.

If Bris knocked that back and the Pies knocked back 5 + 21 this entire deal fell over on a 2nd round upgrade of 5 spots LOL.

WTF was Collingwood thinking with that press release if they were seriously that close.

Brisbane were too busy satisfying Christensen to make a sensible deal for Beams.

2013: Kol.(5), Impey(21), McStay(25).
2012: Stringer(5), Hrovat(21), White(25).
2011: Buntine(5), Mitchell(21), Ross(25).
2010: Polec(5), Lamb(21), Karnezis(25).
2009: Cunnington(5), Bastinac(21), Black(25).

Pick 5 would have to turn out to be a donkey for you to be any serious risk of not getting fair compensation, you would have to say even the worst pick 5 (from compromised drafts) has been pretty good. The problem is the time investment that it might require vs the output you are already getting currently from Beams.

I think the problem is Collingwood supporters and club over-rate their players, Beams is a great player but it doesn't take a superstar to excel on the inside, you just need the right type of inside player plus the time investment, not everyone can play that role, but that type of player is common enough. Good inside mids usually can be acquired quite cheap because they don't usually excel as juniors, they need their body to mature.
Still wouldn't trade Beams for any of those sets of 3... would anyone?
Mitchell doesn't count either as he was a top 5 pick taken F/S
Cunnington+Basti+Black is Ok, still not fantastic in terms of compensation for Beams, and that is 1 in 5. You also seem to think Beams just excels on the inside...o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, I'm saying I would want the average of all the players taken at this pick to be around Beams' value. Not guaranteed at all. Pretty simple to understand if you're not trying to disagree with me for the sake of it.
I suppose pick 55 is ultra valuable, because you could've drafted Langdon last year, or Swan in 2001, or Hird ages ago, or Dean Cox, or Aaron Sandilands or...

Mate (yman), that's all very fair but we're not talking about guys picked in the fifth round. The type of player who is picked at or around pick 5 in recent years can really improve your list (well, replace Beams). It's not a guarantee, sure, but it is just about as good as you can get. To facilitate Beams' return home for personal reasons, it is a reasonable package.

I am quite confident in Hine's negotiating skills! I am also quite confident that all clubs with the possible exception of the "teddy bears" see Beams as an A grade footballer.
I strongly believe Beams will not be at the Pies next year or for that matter the Bears either , and as of 5.01pm today i am sure other clubs have entered the party ie suns and Gold coast! who actually rate Beams. He will obviously will have to compromise as of today! if he does not want to be at Collingwood, Beams and that scammer Connors!
The hypocrasy that the Bears are showing is unbelivable! they are not willing to give up pick 5 and a second year rookie! becouse they dont think it is a fair deal. yet they are willing to make Beams there highest paid player by a country mile! Give me a break...

That deal would have cost us Allen Christensen. So in this case, the upgrade of 5 spots was significant.

Mate (yman), that's all very fair but we're not talking about guys picked in the fifth round. The type of player who is picked at or around pick 5 in recent years can really improve your list (well, replace Beams). It's not a guarantee, sure, but it is just about as good as you can get.
No it's not. You have to go back to 2005 for the first player you would trade for Beams in a straight swap for the future pick 5. That doesn't sound like a good guarantee to me...

The hypocrasy that the Bears are showing is unbelivable! they are not willing to give up pick 5 and a second year rookie! becouse they dont think it is a fair deal. yet they are willing to make Beams there highest paid player by a country mile! Give me a break...

Which of our second year rookies wanted to come to Collingwood?

and what if we don't sack him? He'd be refusing to do what he's paid/contracted to do so surely he's not entitled to be paid.

If you don't sack him he still continues to get paid....his salary minus the match payments.
Either way, if you sack him he goes and enters the draft the following year.

Fair enough but lets just say they do that, surely if they do then the AFL would be privy to that and would make Brisbane uphold that offer? If not and they pay him under that then that's just compromising and blatant draft tampering which the AFL take a very dim view of. Maybe in years past but i can't see it happening in this day and age, especially since they're more hell bent than ever on equalization between clubs.

Anyway it's a moot point i think as i don't think there's a chance in hell he'll sit out the season.
I'm sure Brisbane can fit him in for a mill, considering they offered him a contract of 800k this year, he gets to the club next year on 1 mill a year over 1 year, then has contract extension of say 400k over 3 years.

That is why Beams will never play for Brisbane.
Effectively they have valued Alan Christensen above getting the Beams deal done.
Why would a player want to play for a club that stuffed up your movement there?

No it's not. You have to go back to 2005 for the first player you would trade for Beams in a straight swap for the future pick 5. That doesn't sound like a good guarantee to me...

Again, it is not pick 5 only, it is players available at that pick, within reason. Even limit it to picks 5-8 if you want. Do you think Collingwood would have only picked the same players picked at 5 since 2005, given the same pick each year? No, they would have been picking the player that they rated highest/suited their needs. Again, it is plausible, even likely, that your recruiters would have appropriately rated a Wines/Wingard/Aish type at pick 5 in those drafts.

In summary, pick 5 does not directly give you the average of historical pick 5s, but a ticket to pick the highest possible rated player on your draft board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back