MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was at least four, he saw little Hewett getting cute with the ball, lined him up and took him out. It was cynical and mean.

Three's good though 👍 🍾

I think 4 was the proper number, if the AFL are serious about concussions. They give 2 weeks for not even hurting players. Adding only a single extra week for concussion is ridiculous.

Dunstall on 360:

“There’s no point in bumping”

“There’s no point in tackling a player to the ground”

FMD. You have to wonder what our great game is becoming.

It won’t surprise me if they try to ban tackling and bumping one day. Well that is where they are heading.

Already involved in AFL 9s Rules. UK already introduced a variant of the game called Touch Aussie Rules where tackling is banned

Last edited:
Dunstall on 360:

This is what scares the crap out of me.

Obviously every single one of us wants to see concussions minimised by any means, but the very fabric of the game is being torn when we’re trying to eradicate things like bumping and tackling from a contact sport that is effectively built on these particular actions.

The do-gooders will be all for a ‘touch football’ type spectacle, but the game itself is changing so much it’s almost unrecognisable from 20-30 years ago.

Again, important we do what’s needed to eradicate concussions, but at what cost?

Did he concuss anyone? Did the player even leave the field?

Do you know the difference between concussion and not-concussion? Or more broadly, concussion and not-at-all-injured-in-any-way?
Apologies, I thought Close was concussed from this tackle.

If not, it’s silly he copped 2 weeks, but tackling is this year’s ‘flavour of the month’ so they’re going harder than they should be.

My point still stands though that if people are trying to compare tackles and bumps despite the end result being the same, it’s silly. Getting concussed is getting concussed. This is what the league is trying to somehow eradicate.

Agree though that Day is stiff to cop 2 weeks since there was no damage caused.

Apologies, I thought Close was concussed from this tackle.

If not, it’s silly he copped 2 weeks, but tackling is this year’s ‘flavour of the month’ so they’re going harder than they should be.

My point still stands though that if people are trying to compare tackles and bumps despite the end result being the same, it’s silly. Getting concussed is getting concussed. This is what the league is trying to somehow eradicate.

Agree though that Day is stiff to cop 2 weeks since there was no damage caused.

Burton and Day both got 2 weeks for tackles where the player was uninjured. Both this year.

Collingwood played the media like a fiddle. Full credit to them as everyone except Cornes is eating out of the palm of their hands.

Everyone seemed to give DeGoey excuses why he did what he did and attack the Eagles for being upset.

What he did was wrong, BUT…..
Absolute masterclass from the Pies.
You realise the player got suspended for 3 weeks, yeah? He didn’t get off…

Dunstall on 360:

Always been a weak call from commentators/players/coaches to say the bump is dead. Adjust the technique and lower the body in a bump and the odds of getting someone in the head decreases dramatically. Obviously if you jump a foot into the air you'll probably hit someone high.

Burton and Day both got 2 weeks for tackles where the player was uninjured. Both this year.
Refer to my response to Sprout. It’s become a bit of a farce so I agree with you.

You never wish injury to anyone, but at the end of the day, we play a physical, contact sport, and we’ve eradicated king hits/cheap shots - that’s great. Football acts resulting in injuries should not be punishable.

The fact people in here want JDG hanged is such a blight on how far our game has unfortunately come.

If you were new to the country and you were reading through this thread, you’d have thought JDG had gone out and king hit Hewett.

Refer to my response to Sprout. It’s become a bit of a farce so I agree with you.

You never wish injury to anyone, but at the end of the day, we play a physical, contact sport, and we’ve eradicated king hits/cheap shots - that’s great. Football acts resulting in injuries should not be punishable.

The fact people in here want JDG hanged is such a blight on how far our game has unfortunately come.

If you were new to the country and you were reading through this thread, you’d have thought JDG had gone out and king hit Hewett.

Most people have said 4, including Collingwood supporters. If 2 weeks is okay by the Tribunal for tackles which do no injury, how can they expect us to take them seriously when they add only a single extra week for a concussion.

Always been a weak call from commentators/players/coaches to say the bump is dead. Adjust the technique and lower the body in a bump and the odds of getting someone in the head decreases dramatically. Obviously if you jump a foot into the air you'll probably hit someone high.
If you’ve ever played footy, you'd realise you risk injuring yourself if you went ‘low’ to bump someone. You’re effectively exposing your own head to their shoulder - it is completely unnatural to even try ‘adjust’.

The receiving player’s head/body position dictates whether they get injured or not, not whether you stand, brace, jump or move forward to bump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Daicos is taken out at the opening bounce youre not calling for more than 3 weeks?

Complete and utter bull s**t.
Foot on the ground, in play and concussion is 3 weeks *******! Daicos, Moore or anyone else.

You’d think De Goey launched at Hewett like Pickett on Smith with a concussion. Dumb campaigner!

Enjoy your season

DeGoey and Collingwood can consider themselves lucky he only got 3 weeks considering Caminiti got 3 weeks for his incident and Day got 2 for a tackle.

Comparing incidents and the inconsistency with the suspensions given out just shows how farcical the MRP/Tribunal system has become in recent years.

Most people have said 4, including Collingwood supporters. If 2 weeks is okay by the Tribunal for tackles which do no injury, how can they expect us to take them seriously when they add only a single extra week for a concussion.

Even before the DeGoey decision, could you take the tribunal seriously when Pickett and Day were both suspended for 2 weeks.

Don't pretend the DeGoey decision is the reason the Tribunal has lost credibility.

Even before the DeGoey decision, could you take the tribunal seriously when Pickett and Day were both suspended for 2 weeks.

Don't pretend the DeGoey decision is the reason the Tribunal has lost credibility.

The point is this was their chance to make a real point about avoidable head injuries. The AFL could still appeal too.

But they wont. Because they are useless.

The point is this was their chance to make a real point about avoidable head injuries. The AFL could still appeal too.

But they wont. Because they are useless.

Wouldn't that have been the Caminiti incident? If the AFL wanted to make a point, wouldn't they go hard on a strike to the head behind play that concussed a player?

DeGoey and Collingwood can consider themselves lucky he only got 3 weeks considering Caminiti got 3 weeks for his incident and Day got 2 for a tackle.

Comparing incidents and the inconsistency with the suspensions given out just shows how farcical the MRP/Tribunal system has become in recent years.
Hang on so punching somebody off the ball should be less than a bump?

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. De Goey hit on Elijah Hewett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back