Hot Topic Death-riding Melbourne in 2025 - May they burn in hell!

Remove this Banner Ad

The last time I saw the industry this collectively excited about a draft was 2006 and it turned out to be horseshit with the exception of about 6 players in the top 30. Its smart business to split your hand over 2 drafts to mitigate bias.

Theres about 6 players id trade back in for. Once they are gone i wouldnt bother.
Which players and at what Pick number and cost?

I’m struggling to find much to lock in either 2024 being a super draft, or 2025 being sub standard.

Is there anything I’ve missed?

2024 is a super draft - is it?
Depending upon your definition…
  • lot of trade media touting that… as they would
  • detail that is quoted is more even at the top end
  • doesn’t have the normal stand out top 1-3… no H Reid or JHF
  • sounds flat not more talented

2025 isn’t a great draft
- can’t find anything particular that talks to under age player quality compared to other years

Also, can’t see a strong prediction this time last year that 2024 was to be a super draft.
Although there appear fewer than expected forward picks for 2024 traded in 2023 which maybe suggests it was known?

I come in peace.
Would it really be worth trying to trade back into the draft in the first round? I doubt it. North tried to trade their F1 for 13 and have not got a buyer yet. Everyone is saying next years draft is ordinary and it seems that the future picks are not holding a lot of value. With what teams are asking for round 1 picks seems excessive and I don’t think your F1’s will get a pick inside 20.
I suppose if a player you rate highly slips then it may be considered worth selling the farm for, else I think you take Kako and next best and take your F1’s to 2025. Thoughts?
I can not see us getting back into the draft inside the top 18 or so. I doubt anyone will want to trade out.
I could see a situation where we trade out 28 and 31 for extra back end and future picks and then maybe trade back in for the mid twenties if we like someone. Or we just use what we have. Hope the Kako bid is around pick 8 and pick 40 becomes a pick in the mid thirties. probably not exciting enough for most Essendon supporters but it is what it is.

The last time I saw the industry this collectively excited about a draft was 2006 and it turned out to be horseshit with the exception of about 6 players in the top 30. Its smart business to split your hand over 2 drafts to mitigate bias.

Theres about 6 players id trade back in for. Once they are gone i wouldnt bother.
2016 was also talked up a lot . It ended up being better than 2006 but it did not produce the stars most thought it would. Lot of good players and a bit of depth but lacking a genuine super star

Which players and at what Pick number and cost?

Theres a few Im certain will be gone like Lalor, Tauru and Langford, that wouldnt be worth even thinking about.

Of the likely ones: while Hotton is there Id put melbournes first and our f2 on the bkard. While Travaglia and Reid are there Id happily trade Melbournes future first back in. If Kakos bid comes late and we can get one of the seconds into next years Id be tempted to trade that melbourne back in and take the punt on Hannaford too.

Honestly with the way the list is there aren’t really any clear best 22 spots for a rookie aside from at SF and we’re getting Kako.

So if whoever we bring in is likely going to get a year in the 2s at minimum we may as well take a chance later in a deep draft. Since we’re going later that shouldn’t cost us a first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Death-riding Melbourne in 2025 - May they burn in hell!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back