Demetriou says lay off Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Demetriou?

I don't boo Goodes because of his race

I boo him because of his personality

I would have thought the qualifier 'if you want to be racist' makes it clear to whom my remarks are directed at.
Yeah. Well I don't. And never condoned it in any fecking way.

I think he's directing it at anyone who plans to express a racist opinion to think twice and shut up.

You make a good point, maybe it's because he is a self important douche.
I don't know Goodes so I can't speak to that. It does come across a bit as sour grapes at a quality player who cost you a GF but, then again, I don't know you either.

You'd think though that anyone dumb enough to be a racist would struggle with any kind of scientific fact. They're generally not the most intelligent folk around, which make their biases and preconceptions even more ludicrous.

Eddie McGuire isn't stupid. I work with some very smart people who are also quite fond of casual racism. The issue there is not so much about false assumptions, as making hurtful comments (under the false belief that those comments are just innocuous). Casual racism has to be dealt with in a somewhat different way to old-fashioned bigotry and xenophobia. We need nuance, not absolutism.

for real

do you think acting emotionally is positive or do you think acting calmly is positive?
Surreal I'd suggest. Racism manifests itself in many ways but am pretty sure it occurs regardless of one's emotional response to it. I'd suggest that the opposite is true -racism has power because people are complacent about it. It gains more traction from inaction. ;)
Calm is good, emotional can be good or not so good but that seems quite beside the point to me.

You boo him for something that would be outside of his control? Surely you should be booing the umpires and not Goodes if that is your reasoning.
To be fair the Hawks boo everyone these days. So many tickets on themselves.;)

yep but at the same time, Goodes should show courage and strength to not be bothered by racism (not to be confused with ignoring). Racism only has power if people respond emotionally negatively to it.

Surreal I'd suggest. Racism manifests itself in many ways but am pretty sure it occurs regardless of one's emotional response to it. I'd suggest that the opposite is true -racism has power because people are complacent about it. It gains more traction from inaction. ;)
Calm is good, emotional can be good or not so good but that seems quite beside the point to me.

I think we are on the same page

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it racism if you think Goodes is a flog but think blokes like Neville Bonner were absolute top class?

u cannot be cereal.

No he's absolutely right.. If people never responded negatively to the holocaust it obviously wouldn't of happened! It would be nice if we could all be like Henry Ford and have our cake and eat it too.

Just before I hit the report button - is that me you're directing those charming (and presumptuous) remarks to?

The guy's (number37) a sanctimonious dimwit. Wants to save the world by bludgeoning anybody who doesn't agree with his nuance free version of the world by pejoratives that have not the slightest relation to the person they're directed at.

On the topic - anybody watching the number of frees against Goodes not paid tonight, would also get an understanding why he grates with people. Gets a charmed run from the officials of all varieties.

Last edited:
The guy's a sanctimonious dimwit. Wants to save the world by bludgeoning anybody who doesn't agree with his nuance free version of the world by pejoratives that have not the slightest relation to the person they're directed at.

On the topic - anybody watching the number of frees against Goodes not paid tonight, would also get an understanding why he grates with people. Gets a charmed run from the officials of all varieties.
If he upsets this many people, he's a shoo in to run for parliament.

Is it racism if you think Goodes is a flog but think blokes like Neville Bonner were absolute top class?
Nope that isn't racism but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the point being discussed here.

Nope that isn't racism but that has nothing whatsoever to do with the point being discussed here.
I think it has everything to do with what's being discussed. It has been levelled that any dislike of Goodes is based on racial dislike. There are some who just can't accept that some see him as a pain in the arse personality wise.

ALP will chase him. Who knows, he might actually be quite a good politician.

He might be a popular figure to parachute in, but he's not exactly a brain surgeon, and probably would be a bit of a distraction, likely to freelance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back