Autopsy Demons 97 defeat Dogs 71. Never was so much owed by so many to so few

Remove this Banner Ad

Two things which stood out for me:
  1. What exactly have Matt Spangher and Marc Webb brought to the table? There is nothing that is any different to last year when we had different midfield and forward coaches
  2. A forward line of Naughton and Hannan simply cannot cut it. The decoys we put down there offer next to nothing. I know Jamarra has copped it from many due to his lack of effort, and not defending him, but I personally would be more comfortable with him down there then Schache and Cordy. Just give him 10 games and let him learn with Naughton and try to portray a working forward line

Bin cordy for a minimum couple months, schache made mistakes sure, cordy can’t even get to the ball or even a contest to have the opportunity to make a mistake

Too many players had poor games and it looks like we have a lot of problems to work through over the season, hopefully we can sort them out

How can we still have no forward structure of any sort at all ?

How can we continually turn it over to 4-2 or 5-2 contests, by taking shit options into the corridor ?

How can we expect Schache and Cordy to get any sort of continuity - if they are continually swapped from one ****ing end of the ground to the other every 20 seconds ?

What did we work on in the off season ?

I'm not normally the one to have a go at players, and I've had a few bourbons so excuse any stupidness, but Schache, Cordy and Smith really have a lot to answer for. Not only that, but players who normally are composed and skillful were just making stupid mistakes. Macrae, Bont, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel. There's no doubt Melbourne are about a 26 point better side than us and we need to do something about it.

After dragging ourselves back into the game we were horribly timid. No urgency or dare.

Some of our players were timid into the bargain.

Awful game of footy lit up by some individual performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cobwebs to blow out and plenty of room for improvement. Bont was clearly not 100% tonight.

Despite the errors we did some nice things and had a reasonable score. Naughts looking great. Flag is not won in March despite what Melbourne supporters think.

Glad we can finally move on from this one.

Go dogs.

Stop giving up 5-10m on every single mark. It's a game of territory and we are giving up so much to gain absolutely nothing. Locking the ball in the forward half is gold and we man the kick ins 45m away

It allows a more accurate, uncontested kick instead of forcing them to kick over a man.

Will be interesting to see if any other team does it this week

One sentence…

Bailey Williams had 6 turnovers punished by goals, an AFL record by some margin.
Curious to see same stat for others - Macrae had one absolute shocker, as did others - not directly resulting in goals, but some of our decision making running free through the midfield, and also into the F50, was deplorable for an (alleged) top team.

Edit: Forgot VDM, maybe because I've tried to put his complete suite of disposal efforts tonight out of my mind!

If I was to write up every player that hammed it up tonight it would be pointless, I think the main thing is that this team is no where near where it needs to be and far too reliant on playing a high risk game.

I think we were lucky it was only 26 points. Should have been closer to 60.

Weightman, Vandermeer, Schache, Gardner all very poor imo. I like Roarke but he’s not good enough against the best teams. Treloar went missing second half, a bunch of others were well down.

We’re playing the best team in the comp with a sub-standard ruck (imo) with no backup, no decent talls except for Naughton and Keath, square pegs in round holes in the forward line.

The players weren’t great tonight, but they are continually set up to fail and when they do succeed it’s despite match committee and the coaching panel imo. Nothing has changed, and we’ll end up finishing 5-8 on talent and wasting another year of the primes of some of the best players in the comp.

It's time to ditch the extra small runner and structure up
Would Cordy, Gardner, Roarke Smith get a game in any other final side ? Cordy is just not up to it, to see him wave "kick it to me in the air" was unbelievable, no pace no skills - he cannot play next week

Really disappointing. Looks like we will take a few weeks to get our legs under us.

• Few of our regulars in the backline were really poor. Williams, Dale and Daniel were all well below average.
  • Bont playing damaged.
  • Hunter slowed the game down at every point when he got the ball. It killed momentum.
  • Libby looked slow and unfit. Covid is an excuse but why put him straight back in?
  • Schache and Keath were both really bad.
  • the surges in the game were so poorly managed. It’s terrible to let a team get on a 6 goal run twice in a game. That’s a system failure. Coaches need to fix it.

The good:
  • English stood up. I checked the stats at the end of the game and he was only credited with 18 hit outs. Bullshit. I counted 30 where his hand was first to it. Much more physical and great in the contest.
  • Richards was great. Disposal and hardness were awesome.
  • Croz is back in form
  • Naughts looks good

A LOT to work on. We need natural forwards in ASAP. Marra comes in next game for mine. The breakdown is still at that half forward line. Fix it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Demons 97 defeat Dogs 71. Never was so much owed by so many to so few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back