Autopsy Demons 97 defeat Dogs 71. Never was so much owed by so many to so few

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's going on with Bailey Williams? Up until the Grand Final last year I was thinking he was a valuable asset to our side. After two games he seems scared and out of his depth. He needs to snap out of it cause in my view we have a craptonne of players that can play that position.

Lots of little things went wrong. We also looked cooked in the second half.

Melbourne are the measuring stick and we aren’t up to them at this point in time

This game exposed the cracks in the dogs side. No genuine 2nd KF. No genuine 2nd KB. I would hope O'brien gets up next week and JUH replaces Schache and just let the kid get some games in him. Missed JJ and Martin too.

After dominating a clearance =

Handball, handball, Handball to congestion, handball out of congestion in panic, handball backwards, turnover. Rinse and repeat.

When in the forward 50 instead of kicking to an advantage =

Cute handball to someone that’s not ready, handball backwards to someone under pressure, turnover, goal scored on the other side. Rinse and repeat.

Can we just do the fundamentals right?!?!?

We did play unbelievably well for about 25 minutes but the rest of the game we struggled to get through their zone and didn’t look like scoring.

Got killed in the air tonight (16-6 the contested mark tally). Thought Naughton was fantastic and English was quite good, we were one quality tall short in each area of the ground still. Schache, Gardner and Cordy all had games to forget but it’s only round one and will get opportunities to rectify it. Still hoping Jamarra plays a big block of games before Bruce’s return, the only way he’ll get better is too pump games into him and this is the opportunity to do that.

Crozier made a very solid return I thought, him getting back to his best this season is vital. Thought Richards was solid as well especially defensively but still needs to find more easy ball I think to utilise his pace and foot skills.

On to the next one. There was a few good signs, probably a couple more worrying signs but not the end of the world.

At least he got near the ball

Wtf does Schache, Cordy as a forward and Hannan offer ?

Schache gave away as many goals as Cordy got possessions
well said, I hadn't considered that angle, Schache does have some ability - Cordy none

It's time to ditch the extra small runner and structure up

Have you seen the standard of our KPP's?

This result wasn't unexpected.

For mine the small forwards were pretty disappointing and a few of the usual suspects continued to show they aren't quite up to it.

I liked Tim English's game and Naughton was good but he's in for a tough year being the lone forward target.

Bailey Smith was good, Macrae was good. Overall the midfield battled well against a similarly strengthed outfit.

We still have the same issues we have had for years. Need to dominate the middle for us to get a win due to a few of our taller brigade being very limited players.

My main concern after watching tonight is will Bevo pull the trigger on a player ( who's initials are Josh Schache ) who just laid a steaming pile on the hallowed turf. The Spartan in me hopes he does, as I hope we become more brutal at the selection table during the season if we are fair dinkum about 2022. One can only hope.

PS. JUH must come in to at least provide an option that won't squib when a light breeze goes past.

Jamarra should just come in and develop in the AFL team. He can't be any worse than the sh*t talls we are playing, but he actually has the potential to become good, unlike the others.

Exactly. He could miss marks and spray the ball across the goal face and it would still be better than what Schache brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thing we got rid of all those assistants since the GF, the renewal is remarkable.

(I know that's an unfair swipe, but jeez I'm in the mood to pot anything that moves atm. Can't wait for Bevo's presser, should be a doozy.)

Don’t watch it would be my advice. I’m grateful for everything he’s done for the club but his blind spots are like ****ing eclipses now.

Melbourne don't carry players the way we do.
Schache, Vandermeer, Cordy, Gardner and R Smith would not get a look in at Melbourne. Other than Naughton we had nothing up forward and our midfield got outworked and bullied.
The gap between the teams doesn't look like it has closed since last year.

It genuienly felt like we hadn't touched a football since the gf. I don't think i've ever seen so many missed kicks, dropped chest marks, missed handballs and just overall sloppy football. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

I know team selections are bullshit, especally Bevo's but when I left just before 5pm we had Hunter and Martin in the 22. When I got home just over two hours later Martin had been replaced by Gardiner and Hunter had been replaced by Crozier (and then Hunter came in again when JJ pulled out).

I thought the AFL had rules against that. Can anyone clarify that for me?

It seems from here on we won't ever know the final 22 until about 1 minute to the first bounce. It sucks.

Disappointing night, except for a 30 minute patch of potent football we were outplayed for most of the game.

Our structure is off and barely consistent most teams try to keep the same structure from week to week regardless of injury we have tried 3 different structures in the two practice matches and round one. It’s no wonder there is a disconnect between areas of the ground and no fluency in our forward half.

It’s very early but generally out of preseason and at the start of a new season you see a couple of players have progressed I haven’t seen that yet except for english. VDM, Weightman, Roarke all appear at the same level and there is no real pressure on their positions.

Second marking forward is a massive hole, schache and cordy are not the answer, tonight was a perfect opportunity for one to grab hold of the game with no lever or petty but neither showed any sign of doing so.

Bad:
VDM no real progression, great speed but zero composure and skills below par.
Schcahe and Cordy neither are competent as second rucks and both fail to provide a decent target.
Forward line is dysfunctional and poorly structured.
Second ruck is a massive issue going forward.
Still so many missed tackles.
Constant poor decision making to go short to 50/50 contests when we are forward of the ball leading to being caught out on transition.

Good:
English has taken a step forward but whether he can hold up as the main ruck for a season is yet to be seen.
Naughton looks in ripping form and has tidied up his goal kicking.
Crozier showing signs of being back to the form that made us all appreciate him.
Our midfield depth is still there and can still over power most teams.

What I’d do:
Play JUH as long as he brings intensity and effort, just get games into him whilst Bruce is out.
Need to consider sweet potentially as forward/second ruck can’t do worse than cordy and schache
tim O’Brien to come back in defence is a positive.
Think we need to move past VDM and Roarke to take a step forward. Wouldn’t mind seeing Bendendo, McNeil is a better option than VDM atm.

A lot of negativity in here. Sure we had some passengers but I was pretty happy to see English play with more physicality and Naughton kicking straight.
Don't you think it's justified after what we watched tonight? I agree about English and Naughton, but the bad certainly outweighs the good at 10:12pm compared to an optimism I had at about 6:30pm. Other than in the final scores and margin, we don't seem to have closed any gap since the GF, if anything some parts of our game, and tactics, seem to have stagnated or gotten worse.

I hope we'll continue to see flashes this year in games and in winning steaks, but we're just not a side that you can trust. Forget the dynasty thing - I mean it would be fantastic but I think you need to be confident arrogant b's like melbourne and we ain't and Bevo doesn't want us to be (is that because he doesn't trust them either?) and it's some sort of cultural hoodoo battler crap we've carried for years and can't shake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Demons 97 defeat Dogs 71. Never was so much owed by so many to so few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back