Recommitted Denver Grainger-Barras [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope DGB makes it, but from a Hawthorn list mangament and recruiting perspective, it's actually not a huge loss if he doesn't.

We used pick 6 on him, which has been our highest selection in about 15 years. But less than 12 months later we picked up Jai Newcombe in the mid season rookie draft.

If you consider Jai as the pick 6 from 2020 you could just about argue we got a steal. Probably goes top 3 in a redraft.
Well no it is a huge loss

You could've had Newcomb and say an Archie Perkins and have 2 players locked away in you b22 not 1

Well no it is a huge loss

You could've had Newcomb and say an Archie Perkins and have 2 players locked away in you b22 not 1

I wanted Archie Perkins too, but he wasn't that high in any phantom draft and it never came out afterwards that we had any interest in him.

It's too easy to play hindsight hero in situations like this.

Also remember that DGB wasn't our first choice. We bid on Braedon Campbell with our first selection. Had Will Phillips been available we may have even chosen him instead.

Animated GIF

Didn't this guy get subbed out with zero possessions recently?

He sounds like a slow burn does DGB.

FWIW it was the best 0 possession game I've ever seen. I say that with plenty of tongue in cheek but he completely took Balta's intercept marking out of the game for three quarters.

As soon as he came off Richmond had a field day under the high ball and we couldn't kick a score.

I hope DGB makes it, but from a Hawthorn list mangament and recruiting perspective, it's actually not a huge loss if he doesn't.

We used pick 6 on him, which has been our highest selection in about 15 years. But less than 12 months later we picked up Jai Newcombe in the mid season rookie draft.

If you consider Jai as the pick 6 from 2020 you could just about argue we got a steal. Probably goes top 3 in a redraft.
I mean he's not completely lost yet given his age but any pick 6 whiff is a pick 6 whiff, regardless of who else you draft. Better argument might be just how terrible that draft is looking. Has potential all-time stinker on the cards

Logan McDonald is touted as a young KPF with huge potential but has been goalless 3 times this year with 4, 5 and 6 disposals. Had half a dozen goalless games last year too, mostly with 6 or fewer disposals. His 1st year had some ooor games too.

So 3 seasons in as a key forward having been a key forward as a kid and he still struggles.

But if a defender playing his 3rd game ever forward has a bad game he is clearly not cut out as a footballer.

There is a lot of pressure and expectations for top 5 picks to come in and perform straight away, esp for KPPS, which I think is somewhat unfair and adds unnecessary pressure to the lad(s)

There is a lot of pressure and expectations for top 5 picks to come in and perform straight away, esp for KPPS, which I think is somewhat unfair and adds unnecessary pressure to the lad(s)
I'd argue the opposite, I think even fans give KPPs more leeway and room to get used to AFL. Very few expect their KPPs to be any good the first few years but get very very excited when they are.

Last edited:
Everyone is underselling how bad that draft has been so far. In r1 for KP talent, Ugle Hagan is coming now but struggled first 2 years and he was super hyped, Logan McDonald in and out, DGB same, Zach Reid hardly played. Go and look at it and there’s very little gold anywhere could arguably be the worst draft in history. It’s clear the players are probably behind due to covid m, so it’s more like their second year than third. I wouldn’t be too quick to judge especially KP players who we know tahe longer anyway

Everyone is underselling how bad that draft has been so far. In r1 for KP talent, Ugle Hagan is coming now but struggled first 2 years and he was super hyped, Logan McDonald in and out, DGB same, Zach Reid hardly played. Go and look at it and there’s very little gold anywhere could arguably be the worst draft in history. It’s clear the players are probably behind due to covid m, so it’s more like their second year than third. I wouldn’t be too quick to judge especially KP players who we know tahe longer anyway
Ugle-Hagan only “struggled” year 1 because he wasn’t needed to be rushed straight into the team and it became a media narrative he has gone from strength to strength last year and this year

DGB is the only one struggling out of JUH Thilthorpe McDonald
I would say serviceable no more but certainly ahead of DGB. Reid another top 10 pick hardly played and hard outside gulden to find any very good players. Looks like a bust draft and he might well be one of them but we picked him with the cursed pick 6 it’s our graveyard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DGB is the only one struggling out of JUH Thilthorpe McDonald

McDonald's 2 best games were against West Coast and Hawthorn. Other than that he has been average at best except a reasonable game against GWS.

Even Thilthorpe continues to be up and down. Goalless 7 times this year.

DGB had no prior experience playing forward and has now done it 3 times. And is at Box Hill getting some experience and playing well.

He's the only one playing at the opposite end to where he's played previously.
It's easier to learn your trade as defender than a forward!

Crows have 3 rookie key defenders who have shown more than DGB... Murray, Butts & Keane in his AFC debut last week on Dixon.

It's easier to learn your trade as defender than a forward!

Crows have 3 rookie key defenders who have shown more than DGB... Murray, Butts & Keane in his AFC debut last week on Dixon.
They’re all older. So who cares?

McDonald's 2 best games were against West Coast and Hawthorn. Other than that he has been average at best except a reasonable game against GWS.

Even Thilthorpe continues to be up and down. Goalless 7 times this year.

DGB had no prior experience playing forward and has now done it 3 times. And is at Box Hill getting some experience and playing well.
Thilthorpe is usually playing outside forward 50m, leaving the inside 50m to Fogarty & Tex.

He is top 10 for contested marks, as well a receiving ROB in ruck. Has great skills for a 2m player & developing nicely.

Interesting to watch his development along with JUH & McDonald.

They’re all older. So who cares?
Most good football judges know it's easier to become a key defender than q key forward.

If you were honest, you would be worried about the development of DGB.

Most good football judges know it's easier to become a key defender than q key forward.

If you were honest, you would be worried about the development of DGB.
No, it’s doesn’t worry me because he makes it or he doesn’t. It won’t define anything other than his path forward.

Feel free to pump up your players in a thread that’s not about them though, its not like it looks typically desperate at all. 😂

No, it’s doesn’t worry me because he makes it or he doesn’t. It won’t define anything other than his path forward.

Feel free to pump up your players in a thread that’s not about them though, its not like it looks typically desperate at all. 😂
Seriously why are you so childish with your posting? This isn't the Bay!

I wasn't the one who raised the 3 forwards as a comparison...

Thilthorpe is usually playing outside forward 50m, leaving the inside 50m to Fogarty & Tex.

He is top 10 for contested marks, as well a receiving ROB in ruck. Has great skills for a 2m player & developing nicely.

Interesting to watch his development along with JUH & McDonald.

I think Thilthorpe has great potential and could be the best of the 3.

But has had a scoreless and markless game this year with 1 kick and 4 handballs. And like DGB has no tank.

I think Thilthorpe has great potential and could be the best of the 3.

But has had a scoreless and markless game this year with 1 kick and 4 handballs. And like DGB has no tank.
No argument he lacks consistency, typical for a young player.

Also, likely to be more prevalent when he becomes the #1 target in the future. He has shown when we have had either Tex or Fog out that he scores more.

RT actually is one of the fittest at the club, so think more to do with his running patterns.

This exactly, KPP can take longer to develop. I haven’t given up on him yet.

Is this simply a thread about whether DGB is any good, or is there actually some club interested in him?

Has shown flashes, not much else, still building his body. Not given up on by any stretch.

Is this simply a thread about whether DGB is any good, or is there actually some club interested in him?

Has shown flashes, not much else, still building his body. Not given up on by any stretch.

If I were the Swans list manager I would be interested in him, for the right price anyway. However, unfortunately I am not the Swans list manager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Denver Grainger-Barras [OOC 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back