Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't really read this thread but am a big fan of the idea.

I've been depressed now for a bit over 12 months. I didn't realise it for the first 10 months or so per se. It manifested itself in other ways, a lack of caring for the future and no sex drive were the worst. The latter has pretty much ruined my relationship.

Externally absolutely nobody would be able to pick it and I'm sure that on the 'scale' of depression there are people worse than me. I have good days and I have not so good days.

I don't know how it started. I have a successful job, great partner and good family. It may have started as fleeting thoughts of suicide. Then weekly. Then daily. Alcohol exacerbates it. I am on some medication now, but I have no idea if it is working.

The hardest thing I find is getting that internal fire to light up inside. The one that used to rage.

The hardest thing I find is getting that internal fire to light up inside. The one that used to rage.

My 2c - start looking and learn to enjoy the process.
For me it was pulling on the footy boots for the first time in 8 years that gave me something to enjoy/look forward to for the first time in a while (although the anxiety of playing presented its own challenges initially)

My 2c - start looking and learn to enjoy the process.
For me it was pulling on the footy boots for the first time in 8 years that gave me something to enjoy/look forward to for the first time in a while (although the anxiety of playing presented its own challenges initially)
Thanks mate. I did actually start footy again this year for that reason although hasn't really worked. I've tried a few side ventures which haven't worked. I'm sure something will click.

Thanks mate. I did actually start footy again this year for that reason although hasn't really worked. I've tried a few side ventures which haven't worked. I'm sure something will click.

There will be something out there for you.
In the mean time just take the Edison(?) motto that rather than "failing" par se you're learning things that don't click; and each learning experience brings you one step closer to the thing that does

I am a long-term sufferer from depression and anxiety. It has got worse as I have got older.

I don't really have time to go into my story now, as it will take some time and thought and I am not really into writing long posts any more, but I will at some stage.

But until then, I offer my support and best wishes to those in this thread going through his/her own battle. It's damn hard work, I know, but we must support each other.

Last edited:
Please for the love of god talk to someone.

I just got a call from my grandmother that my cousin committed suicide last night.

No one had any idea she was hurting, so spontaneous she didn't even leave us a note.

I've re found a love of outdoors
Hiking especially
Nature cleanses the heart

Yes nature,the sound of birds tweeting,the sounds of the ocean are also calming,why alot of people prefer the bush than the city.

City ,you can get excited by bright lights but alot of rich w***ers around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't really read this thread but am a big fan of the idea.

I've been depressed now for a bit over 12 months. I didn't realise it for the first 10 months or so per se. It manifested itself in other ways, a lack of caring for the future and no sex drive were the worst. The latter has pretty much ruined my relationship.

Externally absolutely nobody would be able to pick it and I'm sure that on the 'scale' of depression there are people worse than me. I have good days and I have not so good days.

I don't know how it started. I have a successful job, great partner and good family. It may have started as fleeting thoughts of suicide. Then weekly. Then daily. Alcohol exacerbates it. I am on some medication now, but I have no idea if it is working.

I know exactly how you feel. It's like your mojo has deserted you... keep believeing in yourself hotkorma !!

Just wanted to share something beautiful born of a tragedy.

It's difficult when you're doing it tough, but you'd be amazed at just how many people love you. Sadly it can take a tragedy to uncover the depth of just how much people care.

The following was recorded yesterday prior to the Devonport vs Latrobe Women's Fixture, the men's teams in attendance also asked if they could participate as they loved her also.

If you're feeling down, speak to someone, it can be the most difficult thing you ever do, but its the first step to getting better. If you feel you can't talk to a relative or friend there are numerous charity organizations that spread the word and are always there to lend an ear or educate surrounding the often difficult topic of Depression, anxiety and suicide prevention. These include charities such as Lifeline, SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY and the Black Dog Institute.

Shared with the permission of the recorder as well as direct family.

Just wanted to share something beautiful born of a tragedy.

It's difficult when you're doing it tough, but you'd be amazed at just how many people love you. Sadly it can take a tragedy to uncover the depth of just how much people care.

The following was recorded yesterday prior to the Devonport vs Latrobe Women's Fixture, the men's teams in attendance also asked if they could participate as they loved her also.

If you're feeling down, speak to someone, it can be the most difficult thing you ever do, but its the first step to getting better. If you feel you can't talk to a relative or friend there are numerous charity organizations that spread the word and are always there to lend an ear or educate surrounding the often difficult topic of Depression, anxiety and suicide prevention. These include charities such as Lifeline, SPEAK UP! Stay ChatTY and the Black Dog Institute.

Shared with the permission of the recorder as well as direct family.

You are spot on. I posted earlier in this thread that I've had my own issues with depression over the years which were magnified when I was a witness to the Bourke St incident in January. Looking back I can see now that the one positive thing that came out of it was that it forced me to talk to people I trusted and tell them exactly how I was feeling. It was incredibly difficult but it has been very uplifting to realise how many people genuinely care about how you are feeling.

Not likely to receive as much love as Chris Cornell, but it's being reported that Chester Bennington of Linkin Park has been found dead due to an apparent suicide.

I've re found a love of outdoors
Hiking especially
Nature cleanses the heart
Fortunately I've never suffered from depression (although I did definitely have anxiety in my teens), but I always find that a good bushwalk is an amazing way of clearing the head if you're feeling stressed or a bit down.

Not likely to receive as much love as Chris Cornell, but it's being reported that Chester Bennington of Linkin Park has been found dead due to an apparent suicide.
It's every bit as sad. He was a close friend of Chris Cornell, godfather to one of his children, so you'd have to think Chris' death played a role in this. Tragic.

Despite the angsty lyrics of earlier albums and him generally screaming the shit out of a lot of his songs, from all reports Chester Bennington was a genuinely nice guy with lots of time for fans, kicked multiple drug addictions, overcame a shitty childhood where he was abused, and although still grief-stricken by Cornell's death was reportedly doing well and motivated with the new album out and LP about to start another tour. None of his fans or LP bandmates seemed to have any idea about the struggles he was going through.

He is in a better place now, and we can laugh at the memes and the DBZ/Linkin Park mashup Youtube videos now but back then his screamo/angst nu-metal (whatever they called it) defined a generation of angry teens that didn't even know what they were angry about. I haven't really listened to LP since Minutes to Midnight but when I heard the news I felt that a part of my teenage years died with him and sad that the black dog has claimed another one.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
It might be old news, but it's good to see TV ads for mental health/Beyond Blue featuring Hawks players

Girlfriends mother killed herself on the weekend, she was already depressed before this, this cant be good.
Very sorry to hear this, Wookie. Keep a close eye on your girlfriend for a while - sometimes moods can be unpredictable after an event like this. People can look like they are doing ok, but be silently plummeting. Keep her talking about things as much as you can without annoying her. Don't let her get too quiet. Hope you can ride this out and get to a better place. Good luck mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back