Derbys and blockbusters

Remove this Banner Ad

fef

Rookie
Jun 25, 2000
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As the league continues to pat itself on the back for the evening up of the comp. why is the draw weighted to accomodate.
a.)The 'big 3 victorian clubs'
b.)Interstate team derbys.

In these days where the cash receipts no longer go into consolidated revenue, it is thouroughly inequitable for Essendon and Carlton to be guarenteed Queens birthday each year when all it is doing is enhancing the coffers of the home team.

If the league is serious about equity they should abolish this antiquated method and adopt a draw over a four or five year period where every side plays the others an equal ammount of times.

But with the amount the AFL made from our last Derby, I'm sure they'd let us play four a year!

Seriously though, while we can see why they do it, there does seem to be clubs that NEVER play each other twice a season. For us it's Richmond and Port.

The highest rating game of the year was Essendon -Bulldogs a non- derby, I agree whole heartedly piss these blockbusters off, after all Carlton only made the eight in 99' because they got to play Collingwood twice.

Exactly right fef!

I have said it quite a few times here as well. It makes me sick.

The AFL have repeatedly said that they have strived for equality in their latest draw. However as we all well know, unless your team is a part of the privileged few then you are forced to suffer the consequences, which in this case is often a harder draw and less of an opportunity to benefit financially.

Originally posted by Eagle_Fan:

Seriously though, while we can see why they do it, there does seem to be clubs that NEVER play each other twice a season. For us it's Richmond and Port.

And only once at Football Park
confused.gif

it's simple - called 15 rounds then split into 2 eights odds and evens. play each team once in your eight but with the same ladder 15 + 7 = 22 then finals as now
perhaps this
Ansett Cup
rounds 1 - 15
weeks break during state league carnival in melbourne or somewheree else (Not State of origin)
then rounds 16 - 22
then finals
same lenght of time but much fairer.

PS. the weeks break gives an extra 7 days to work out the draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Derbys and blockbusters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back