Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is one season from FA and would likely get band 2, this needs to be an indication of worth. 28 is a joke.
And it has been reported that Essendon are working out details with Gold Coast to get pick 19 or 22 in return for 11. Not that Essendon have offered 28. You're being aggressive for absolutely no reason at all. In fact, ITT the only times an Essendon supporter has mentioned 28 is in relation to Saad.

Hopefully and probably a deal for Smith gets done, better he gets where he wants to go. Not at any price though.
Of course not. He will be compensated fairly.

Would the Giants be okay with adding a player along with a draft pick? Someone like Travis Colyer who slots into Smiths/Johnson's role?

And it has been reported that Essendon are working out details with Gold Coast to get pick 19 or 22 in return for 11. Not that Essendon have offered 28. You're being aggressive for absolutely no reason at all. In fact, ITT the only times an Essendon supporter has mentioned 28 is in relation to Saad.

I don't know about posters in this thread, but pick 28 is the line Essendon has reportedly been pushing...

Essendon has mentioned to GWS that it has Pick 28, which appears to be the selection that it would like to give up for Smith. GWS, though, considers this inadequate for the out-of-contract forward, who chose the Dons over Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/es...s/news-story/69cf5515cabf70aa5ac51cde076d0264

Kerr said his club held “really fruitful” discussions with Greater Western Sydney as they look to add goalkicker Smith.

Essendon could land the injury-hit forward with a second-round pick and holds No.28 in this year’s draft.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/42bce7b266b2ac56645d3f0d2049b50c

Of course not. He will be compensated fairly.

Would the Giants be okay with adding a player along with a draft pick? Someone like Travis Colyer who slots into Smiths/Johnson's role?
Club has said we want to go to the draft this year. Leon's also said things hapoen in trade week. Bottom line is I dont know enough about Colyer. I dont think we need to recruit directly to fill that role though. Internal option is probably Deledio. Suggest it's not our preference, but possible.

I'd rather you give my wife the clap to be honest.
He gets a bad rap here but when he's played in his best position (half forward) he's actually pretty good. We've been trying to convert him into a midfielder, which is a mistake
Really? Huh, always assumed otherwise
Club has said we want to go to the draft this year. Leon's also said things hapoen in trade week. Bottom line is I dont know enough about Colyer. I dont think we need to recruit directly to fill that role though. Internal option is probably Deledio. Suggest it's not our preference, but possible.
I forgot you guys had Lids. Fair enough though

Really? Huh, always assumed otherwise

I think it's the initial ambit claim so there's probably not worth reading too much into it, but yeah - the smoke is that it's definitely been Essendon's starting position. When a team is underbidding even its supporters on a targeted player it doesn't suggest the offer is that realistic.

Pick 22 should do it. Pick 28 is certainly too low for him.

If we trade 11 for Saad plus 22, we can trade 22 for Smith.

If we do 11 for Smith + 23, we could give GC 23 for Saad as well, but I suspect Gold Coast will be less likely to accept since Saad is contracted

How is it stuffing up our plans? He hasn't nominated St.Kilda so unless St.Kilda really sell Smith on going to them it's pointless.
It's not that simple though. His choice could be Saints or pot luck in the draft. Hopefully it doesn't come to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope Dodo prioritises Smith. I think GWS did us a solid with the Stewart trade.
Yup. I tend to agree. If we can get an early 20s pick, that's what I'd be giving them.

Not sure how GWS can justify asking for a first rounder by saying Smith was originally a first rounder, then say Matt Kennedy who was an earlier pick and younger is worth a 2nd rounder because WHE and Steele were traded for about that price.

Or just do what almost every other traded player has done through history and demand you deal with the club he nominated

In most cases the clubs aren't pains to deal with. In cases where they are often third party clubs get involved. Hawthorn in the Carlisle trade, Fremantle in the Yeo trade, Melbourne in the Mitch Clark trade, GWS in the Deledio trade - they're just the ones off the top of my head. Sometimes the new club gets their man, sometimes they don't, but in general the player is pretty reasonable to their original club's wishes and doesn't outright refuse to consider the new club.

Not sure how GWS can justify asking for a first rounder by saying Smith was originally a first rounder, then say Matt Kennedy who was an earlier pick and younger is worth a 2nd rounder because WHE and Steele were traded for about that price.

IIRC there was more context to the comments on the first round valuation than just "Smith was originally a first rounder", e.g. games played, etc.

Because Smith is better than those 2.

How is it stuffing up our plans? He hasn't nominated St.Kilda so unless St.Kilda really sell Smith on going to them it's pointless.

His dog used to go to the same dog park as Jack Steele's dog, and Josh Bruce used to be his housemate when they were drafted to the Giants. He also didn't like living in Marrickville due to the aircraft noise and sees too many similarities with Tullamarine.

(Am I doing it right, Saints fans?)

Pick 22 should do it. Pick 28 is certainly too low for him.

If we trade 11 for Saad plus 22, we can trade 22 for Smith.

If we do 11 for Smith + 23, we could give GC 23 for Saad as well, but I suspect Gold Coast will be less likely to accept since Saad is contracted
How do you get Stringer in this scenario?

Smith is much more proven and still young

IIRC there was more context to the comments on the first round valuation than just "Smith was originally a first rounder", e.g. games played, etc.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-09/giants-set-to-make-dons-work-for-smith

The quotes were:
Of Smith who was picked at 14:
"(Smith) was a first-round pick when he was selected and he's only 24 years of age, so he hasn’t really diminished in value I wouldn't have thought,"
Of Kennedy who was selected at 13:
"I think we've got a fairly clear line on him with trades we've done in the past with Jack Steele and even Will Hoskin-Elliott (traded to St Kilda and Collingwood respectively for future second-round picks)," he said.
"So I think that sets the bar for Matthew quite clearly."

Double standards imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back