Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

• Yes

Votes: 283 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 104 26.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I believe you decided to win one of your last games for pride and missed out on Reid due to it.

What are we doing, encouraging tanking now? It's explicitly not allowed. If North Melbourne tanked, they'd be subject to receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines amongst other penalties.

Even if there's an alternate universe where we tanked and got away with it, we'd be getting raked over the coals for tanking for Reid lol

You're already being savaged by the media for not tanking last year.

Yeah, and how dumb is that? Being savaged for not explicitly cheating. Let's be very clear about this - losing games intentionally is not "being smart" it's "cheating".

We may as well pick the footy up with a drone and fly it through the opposition goals.

Yeah, and how dumb is that? Being savaged for not explicitly cheating lol

We may as well pick the footy up with a drone and fly it through the opposition goals.
I'd watch

What are we doing, encouraging tanking now? It's explicitly not allowed. If North Melbourne tanked, they'd be subject to receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines amongst other penalties.

Even if there's an alternate universe where we tanked and got away with it, we'd be getting raked over the coals for tanking for Reid lol
I don’t think anybody could accuse you guys of tanking. You are just bad like us atm. That 1 game for Reid wouldn’t have caused controversy. The AFL is lining up to give you priority picks.

Should have tanked

I don’t think anybody could accuse you guys of tanking. You are just bad like us atm. That 1 game for Reid wouldn’t have caused controversy. The AFL is lining up to give you priority picks.
I hope so!

Feel a bit sorry for Tim.
He's walked into a very dire situation.
He would never play in a flag team as he is not very good. Can rack up the stats, but is slow and kicking is shocking. He should be grateful for the long term contract on good coin playing in Melbourne where he wanted to live. If he was at GWS still he wouldn't be getting a game

He would never play in a flag team as he is not very good. Can rack up the stats, but is slow and kicking is shocking. He should be grateful for the long term contract on good coin playing in Melbourne where he wanted to live. If he was at GWS still he wouldn't be getting a game
Laughable.

There are spuds who are crowned premiership players every year.

Regardless of anyones thoughts on TT, he's certainly good enough to play a role in a premiership side.

Can he be the best midfielder in a premiership side? Probably not, but he's good enough to be there.

Tom Mitchell literally won a flag last year.

Taranto is a gun, Hopper is good.

I doubt they are gutted they have a long term big money contract.

I mean I said when they left that they might have some regrets when such a large fan base goes after them when the streak ends at they are at the bottom, but they are being looked after.
Giants are better off anyway.

If they were looking for premiership success, probably, but you never know though. It's not unheard of in recent years to see teams hang out in the bottom four then shoot up to the top four the next year(s) out of the blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laughable.

There are spuds who are crowned premiership players every year.

Regardless of anyones thoughts on TT, he's certainly good enough to play a role in a premiership side.

Can he be the best midfielder in a premiership side? Probably not, but he's good enough to be there.
well Both Taranto and Hopper both played for GWS in that 2019 AFL grand final. Ironic, as their opponent was Richmond.

Why would people feel sorry for them? At the time GWS were treading water.

You could argue this point for a lot of players over the years like say Schultz going to Collingwood who are going on a downward trend with their list profile, Bailey Smith going to Geelong would be walking straight into a similar situation.

The way footy has gone over the last 15 years only Hawks and Tigers have been able to have sustained success , the other premiers have all been one hit wonders. There are no guarantees of any player choosing any club that they are going to have continued success.

I’m sure Tarranto and Hopper would be disappointed Dimma left but the retirements of players would hardly be a shock , they would have known and expected that when the signed up given the age of the list and those players that have/ are moving on and if they didn’t their managers aren’t very good at their jobs.

Why would people feel sorry for them? At the time GWS were treading water.

You could argue this point for a lot of players over the years like say Schultz going to Collingwood who are going on a downward trend with their list profile, Bailey Smith going to Geelong would be walking straight into a similar situation.

The way footy has gone over the last 15 years only Hawks and Tigers have been able to have sustained success , the other premiers have all been one hit wonders. There are no guarantees of any player choosing any club that they are going to have continued success.

I’m sure Tarranto and Hopper would be disappointed Dimma left but the retirements of players would hardly be a shock , they would have known and expected that when the signed up given the age of the list and those players that have/ are moving on and if they didn’t their managers aren’t very good at their jobs.
Should've made it 10 years. 15 years ago is 2009, I think that years premier might have more than 1. :)

Yes in which case he would have had to acknowledge Geelong
A mistake from Nicho50

He really wanted to emphasise the point about consistency and list profiles but conveniently forgot to mention the MOST consistent side of any team during that time LOL.

If Smith joins Geelong, he knows he's likely playing Finals if not next year then the year after.

Richmond were in the wilderness, came out for 4 years then went back to the wilderness.
At least they are consistently not good LOL

Hawks haven't made Finals since 2018, but at least they win a premiership once a decade.

That is consistency. If i was picking models of consistency in the AFL its Geelong and Sydney.
Basically guaranteed to play Finals every year if not one down year in a bunch of Finals playing years.

Empty stadiums? Richmond have the 5th highest attendance numbers average this year, 49,800. Granted down from last few seasons, but hardly empty.
That Dusty game and the Dreamtime match doing some heavy lifting in that average, because the crowds have certainly thinned out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Taranto and Hopper make a mistake leaving the Giants for Richmond?

Back