Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d hope to see Donvale promoted, talk about bashing the door down…

2021: East Burwood promoted - Donvale were level on match ratio and 4% behind on percentage

2022: Lose the GF by four points

2023: Drop one game for the year, win the GF by ten goals, no promotion.

To think Oakleigh District were in D2 in 2022 instead of them. 0 wins and 17%.

You’d hope to see Donvale promoted, talk about bashing the door down…

2021: East Burwood promoted - Donvale were level on match ratio and 4% behind on percentage

2022: Lose the GF by four points

2023: Drop one game for the year, win the GF by ten goals, no promotion.

To think Oakleigh District were in D2 in 2022 instead of them. 0 wins and 17%.
Heard today they picked up 3 players during the week.
2 x from Premier
1 x Opposition Capt
and possibly a returning SANFL player.
Disappointing that one of their club greats Matt Leardi did his ACL last week against Surrey Park. Just short of 200 games

2 x from Premier
1 x Opposition Capt
Disappointing that one of their club greats Matt Leardi did his ACL last week against Surrey Park. Just short of 200 games

I don't really understand why they need these guys? They are so far ahead its not funny.

Interested in what you mean by opposition captain? Are you suggesting a current opposition div 3 captain has signed mid year or am i reading too much into it?

I don't really understand why they need these guys? They are so far ahead its not funny.

Interested in what you mean by opposition captain? Are you suggesting a current opposition div 3 captain has signed mid year or am i reading too much into it?
Would be easy to work out if we had access to clearance info. By the way standard of umpiring in third divvy is diabolically bad. One instance among many at our game yesterday young umpire paid a free for our deliberate or whatever we call it and was going to line up the player from where the ball was kicked eventually persuaded it had to be taken from boundary. Almost no communication between older and younger umpire young bloke was trying but older bloke who we’ve seen several games this year just there filling in time for $$ yes we lost but laser week we won and had this person umpire and again his umpiring was ludicrous. Don’t ask me my solution because it is not within my responsibilities and I have not hear any solutions across a number of social media sites 😊

Just what i heard. Hard without the clearances being updated. Yeah opposition Captain, been training for a couple of weeks. i think they said hes been cleared

Would be easy to work out if we had access to clearance info. By the way standard of umpiring in third divvy is diabolically bad. One instance among many at our game yesterday young umpire paid a free for our deliberate or whatever we call it and was going to line up the player from where the ball was kicked eventually persuaded it had to be taken from boundary. Almost no communication between older and younger umpire young bloke was trying but older bloke who we’ve seen several games this year just there filling in time for $$ yes we lost but laser week we won and had this person umpire and again his umpiring was ludicrous. Don’t ask me my solution because it is not within my responsibilities and I have not hear any solutions across a number of social media sites 😊

The solution starts with not relying on people who are basically volunteers - the pay doesn’t even cover their costs.

Footy got away with this for decades but the jig is up.

Wages are up across the board and there is no way on earth many sane people are volunteering to spend their Saturday afternoons running around in the cold and wet or heat and being abused all day just for the love of it.

It would take many hundreds of dollars for me to even consider it and the vast majority of people would be the same. Why would they?

Footy is an expensive sport and some simply had to be found for the umpires. That will attract some quality and quantity which is the only way to improve it.

Clubs will just have to cop it.

A 5% tax on each club’s total wage bill (as submitted to the league) would be a start.

It’s a shambles and urgent and creative fixes are required.

2 x from Premier
1 x Opposition Capt
Any clues or ideas yet on identities 😊

Any clues or ideas yet on identities 😊

If you go through the Div 3 captains i cant work out who it could be

Coldstream - Darcy Carrigan - No
Ferntree Gully - Jack Flannery - No
Fairpark - Mitch Nied - No
UFTG - Rory Bailey - No
Knox - Ethan Murray - No
Oakleigh - Simon Hawkins - haven't had it officially confirmed but played on the weekend so No.
Silvan - Hard to work out who their captain is, 3 VC but they all played on the weekend. Very Unlikley.
Surrey Park - Cant work out who their captain is. 2x DVC & 2x VC. But surely not.
Warrandyte - Zak Carroll played on the weekend, surely not?

McCormack yes. He was there on the weekend but was only a rumour. I still believe hes at Central Districts for the rest of the year.
I believe its Tout from Warrandyte. He was Co-Captain they were saying
Not a knock on Tour but not sure who he replaces at Donvale still a handy back up though 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same thing. who do they replace. I believe its both Touts and Zalac from Blackburn.

Dont think Billy McCormack will come back this season

Ok didnt realise they were co-captains. Tommy Tout hasn't played for Warrandyte for a few games so makes sense.

I presume the Zalac from Blackburn is a brother of current player Zalac?

If you go through the Div 3 captains i cant work out who it could be

Coldstream - Darcy Carrigan - No
Ferntree Gully - Jack Flannery - No
Fairpark - Mitch Nied - No
UFTG - Rory Bailey - No
Knox - Ethan Murray - No
Oakleigh - Simon Hawkins - haven't had it officially confirmed but played on the weekend so No.
Silvan - Hard to work out who their captain is, 3 VC but they all played on the weekend. Very Unlikley.
Surrey Park - Cant work out who their captain is. 2x DVC & 2x VC. But surely not.
Warrandyte - Zak Carroll played on the weekend, surely not?
Matt Garvin is Surrey's captain

Brown Bottle a couple big in this week including Henden. Interesting Jack Mahon inclusion
Good to have some players coming back, that's for sure. As others have observed in the other thread we have some excellent kids in the U19s but it's a big ask for them to go head to head with midfields like Donvale and Knox. Henden and Vitacca are really important and can't wait to see what Mahon can do. More to come back over the next few weeks too (I hope)

Knox 5 point winners vs donvale today, beat Surrey by 4 points a month ago could give finals a shake especially if it's a rainy day

Only 3 games left, the top 5 looks settled but the positions 2-4 are still up for grabs with Knox's stunning win against Donvale on the weekend. Warrandyte will be relegated.

DONVALE - Had their first loss on the weekend in probably the worst day for football we have seen in a while, but it can be horrible weather grand final day also (East Burwood V Fairpark comes to mind) so we shouldn't just completely write it off as irrelevant. They have had 3 mid year recruits debut in the last fortnight, which is late in the year to be changing things up. I still think they are the clear number 1 seed but the loss does make them lose their aura a little, they can be beaten. They definitely have the best list on paper but it will need to gel for them to win back to back premierships. They have 3 relatively easy games to finish the year and still should end 17-1
Games left - UFTG (H), SILVAN (A), FAIRPARK (H)

SURREY PARK
- Three strong wins after a couple of losses and the Panthers are back on track. A number of players have come back or will be coming back which will strengthen them even more. You cant help but think that Jack Mahon and Kane Henden are going to have a huge say in the finals series. If they can get Tom Smith and Lachlan Summers back on the park they could give this a real shake. The big space of Ringwood shouldn't bother them at all as the use the ball so well. Their run home is reasonably good and should be 3 wins but Fairpark and Oakleigh can be tricky games and will still need 4 quarter performances to win. They were losing at half time against Silvan on the weekend and with the grounds looking like they will be heavy for the year now, you wouldn't want to be giving anyone a head start. I think they finish 2nd still 15-3
Games left - FAIRPARK (H), OAKLEIGH (H), UFTG (A)

COLDSTREAM
- Have a few injuries currently but are still getting the job done. Castree, Bayliss. Conyers, Carrigan and Sherriff have all missed multiple games in the middle/late part of the year and will need these players fit and firing to have a really good crack at the flag. Fritsch has kicked 76 goals for the year and will need to keep firing come finals time. Certainly have the talent on paper to give it a shake, might just need some luck with injuries. Their run home is good playing 3 sides outside of the top 5. The Fairpark away game could be tricky as it can be a very hard place to win at and might be the danger game. Dropping 1 game could cost a top 3 spot so will need to be on for the last 3 games. i think they should get the 3 wins and finish 3rd with a 14-4 record.
Games left - FTG (A), FAIRPARK (A), SILVAN (H)

KNOX
- Are one of the form sides of the division and look extremely dangerous. Recent wins against Donvale and Surrey Park have put them right in the contest for a flag. Have recruited mid year also to bolster their side and Fisher and Hanlen have had an immediate impact. Harry Greaves has kicked 47 goals and can really tear games apart and Barlow has also regulary hit the scoreboard with 26. They are a young side who will love the space of Ringwood come finals times. Their run home is pretty good but will need to win all 3 to have any chance of sneaking into the top 3 and getting the double chance. This weeks game against Oakleigh is the only danger game for them. Oakleigh actually beat them earlier in the year at Knox. I think they win all 3 games left and finish 13-5.
Games left - OAKLEIGH (A), FTG (A), WARRANDYTE (H)

OAKLEIGH DISTRICTS
- Havent been in the best of form but have found ways to win 2 of their last 3 games and now sit 2 games clear in 5th spot. It would be a major shock if they werent to play finals, in fact they could probably lose their last 3 games and still finish 5th. A lot still rests in the hands of their coach Blake Pearson. He kicked 7 goals to get them over the line against Silvan and again was best on ground against UFTG yesterday. Although they lost Zak Bozanich this year they have done well to find a replacement in Mark Stevens who is 3rd on the league goal kicking with 51. Connor Cochrane has also kicked 24 goals. Their run home is tough with 2 games against top 4 teams. I think they only win 1 of their last 3 and finish 5th with a 8-10 record
Games left - KNOX (H), SURREY (A), FTG (H)

FAIRPARK
- They have won 4 of their last 5 games and now surprisingly sit 6th on the ladder. After spending a month on the bottom of the ladder and looking like a relegation chance, the lions have really turned their season around. As a club I think they just stick at it and as the season gets long they knuckle down while other clubs drop off. Their forward line is dangerous when Jay Rankin (25 goals) and Jesse Pearce (24 goals) are playing but they have missed 9 games between them. They have turned their home ground into a bit of a fortress and when Hird, Byrne and Nied are firing they can be really dangerous. They have a horrible run home playing the top 3 sides but look out if you arent on your game. I think they might pinch 1 against one the top teams and finish 6-12
Games left - SURREY (A), COLDSTREAM (H). DONVALE (A)

UFTG
- Their last 5 games have been disapointing but overall they have done well after a few horrible years with no success. They did look likely to be playing finals early on but i think they are where they should be right now. Rory Bailey has led well and kicked 30 goals but their next leading goal kicker is Russ Cowan on 14 goals who usually plays midfield. They have had a good look at the division and will now know what they need to recruit or develop to become a finals side. Their run home isnt great playing the 2 top sides but should sing the song one last time against Warrandyte and finish 6-12.
Games left - DONVALE (A), WARRANDYTE (A), SURREY (H)

FTG
- Have battled for most of the year after losing a swag of players in the off season. Everytime they have looked at maybe being a chance of top 5 they have lost the next game. They have not been able to kick enough gaols to win games. there leading goal kicker is Jordan Patterson on 17 goals with mid year recruit Jordyn Flannery next on 14 goals. Innuries have hurt them bad with Lachlan Kennedy and Gavin Kalisperis missing most of the year. They are a strong club and im sure with a new coach and some recruits to help their young side, they will be up again quickly. The run home for FTG is tough playing 3 top 5 sides and i cant see them winning again. I think they will finsih 5-13.
Games left - COLDSTREAM (H), KNOX (H), OAKLEIGH (A)

SILVAN
- There is no team whos form can vary week to week more than Silvan. On their day look everything like a finals side but could lose to anyone the next week. i think overall their season has been disapointing for the potential they have but have also had regular injuries to key players like Trent Martin and James Charge. Matthew Low continues to become a star of the league kicking 37 goals and has been well assisted by Michael Fowkes on 27 goals with Fowkes sharing his time between ruck and forward. Their run home isnt easy and they can be very dangerous on their day but should win at least 1 more game before seasons end finishing 5-13.
Games left - WARRANDYTE (A), DONVALE (H), COLDSTREAM (A)

WARRANDYTE
- Its been a long year and they were the pre season favourite to be relegated with so many departures. Credit to them for much of the year they were competitive and looked like they may have avoided relegation for a few weeks. Have been unable to kick a decent score most weeks and its cost them in a few closer games. But in the last month it has really fallen away and its all over for them in div 3. Zak Carroll has been huge for them all year and has led from the front. They also have quite a few good young players coming through and with some asistance shouldnt spend too long in div 4. A month ago i would have said they were a chance in the run home against Silvan and UFTG but they have kicked a combined 3 goals in the last 2 games so i think its very unlikely now. If anything, the UFTG might be a slight chance. I think they will finish 2-16.
Games left - SILVAN (H), UFTG (H), KNOX (A)

Agree with Above. Knox are definitely the inform team right now but I think all things even its going to be between Donvale and Surrey Park. Would love to see them on a big ground like Ringwood going H2H. Of Donvales recruits id say Zalac plays but once Donvale gets Haig, Mill, Lyall and Day back i dont there will be room for both the Touts. Good problems to have selection wise at Surrey And Donvale come finals

Yeah i didn't read it like that, with UFTG. I think a month ago he was odds on to get another year but its all fallen apart and now hes not even coaching out the year. Feels messy.

Id be stunned if FTG didn't have something lined up.

Who would be the most attractive club to coach out of the 3?

Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back