Division 2 thread 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't that confident Bunk as we recruited basically one player and had at least 10 pull the pin. I was happy to be competitive and not go straight back down. In the first game, we played Knox and when we won I thought we are not that bad. Then with each game, my mindset changed. Traveling to Boronia I thought here's a test and we stood up and kicked away and just ran away from them. The young players want to and know how to win and it's infectious. The Basin and Sth Belgrave on small grounds showed we are physically not up to, and I accept that and in saying that those games will benefit those young kids. The coach stated on the broadcast yesterday that many have been playing together since Under 9's and we've been waiting 10 years for them to come along. How things change as for many years we couldn't keep players, now we have players wanting to come to us and it's not about the cash as we don't have any.

Have no data to back it up but as I said, I think the "middle" divisions (D1 - D3 now) are a lot closer than many probably give them credit for, and moving one grade up wouldn't be a huge issue for the top few clubs in the division below.

Premier is a big leap, and D4 to D3 seems a big leap too, with no real easybeats in D3.

Having said that, D1 and D2 are about to get a lot more competitive. Next year we'll be dropping the bottom 2 clubs out of D2 and everybody else shifts down a couple of spots. North Ringwood demonstrably aren't up to Premier grade at the moment, but it doesn't feel like Berwick are a million miles off it... and Doncaster are 10th and just beat the top side in the league comfortably.

Have no data to back it up but as I said, I think the "middle" divisions (D1 - D3 now) are a lot closer than many probably give them credit for, and moving one grade up wouldn't be a huge issue for the top few clubs in the division below.

Premier is a big leap, and D4 to D3 seems a big leap too, with no real easybeats in D3.

Having said that, D1 and D2 are about to get a lot more competitive. Next year we'll be dropping the bottom 2 clubs out of D2 and everybody else shifts down a couple of spots. North Ringwood demonstrably aren't up to Premier grade at the moment, but it doesn't feel like Berwick are a million miles off it... and Doncaster are 10th and just beat the top side in the league comfortably.

I think it is season 2024 the aim is to have it 10/10/10/10 and 8.At the end of this season it is 1 up 1 down all grades except D3 which will be 2 down.2023 it will be 12/10/10/8 and 8 but who knows what happens if a new team comes in.

Last edited:
Oh, that's right the Rams don't deserve to be in Div 2.
I don't think it was ever about quality of players. Just about a system that seemingly promoted a club for no reason. Two teams are getting relegated this year in div 3 only because of the East Burwood promotion after losing the 2019 Grand Final. Teams usually have to win flags to be promoted. I think you will find that is the reason people question where East Burwood are. Probably has a little bit to do with the way the club conducts themselves also, they are terrible losers but horrible, horrible winners.

As for their football, they are doing fantastic. Hopefully they find some humility.

I don't think it was ever about quality of players. Just about a system that seemingly promoted a club for no reason. Two teams are getting relegated this year in div 3 only because of the East Burwood promotion after losing the 2019 Grand Final. Teams usually have to win flags to be promoted. I think you will find that is the reason people question where East Burwood are. Probably has a little bit to do with the way the club conducts themselves also, they are terrible losers but horrible, horrible winners.

As for their football, they are doing fantastic. Hopefully they find some humility.
The EFNL asked EB to go up after losing the Grand Final, not the other way around but hey let's not let the facts get in the way of BS. If you don't like that you best talk to them. It's 2023 that two teams go down, not this year and to say it's all because of EB is fricking laughable, did you forget that Oakleigh came into Div 2 as well?. As for Terrible Losers and Horrible Winners you mustn't go to many games and in saying that there are supporters at every club that are arseholes. I don't mind EB being the hated club, it's been that way since they dominated and when we went down people loved sinking the slipper in, now we are doing OK it's rigged and we shouldn't be there as we were supposed to fail. An interesting fact that people ignore for some reason, is when the EFNL asked EB after Warrandyte turned promotion down it came down to a vote at EB to go up and the vote wasn't unanimous. I do laugh when people say good on Warrandyte for refusing to go up but EB is bad for accepting to go up. Haters are always going to hate. The past two years have been anything but normal and the haters need to get over it.

The EFNL asked EB to go up after losing the Grand Final, not the other way around
Untrue and incorrect. 100% East Burwood approached the EFNL to be promoted citing an number of reason why staying in Div4 would be detrimental to the club.

It's 2023 that two teams go down, not this year and to say it's all because of EB is fricking laughable.
No its this year 2 clubs are relegated from Div 3 purely caused by East Burwoods unprecedented promotion after losing the 2019 Grand Final as division 4 are a team short. Next years mass relegation is to fix the divisions with Beaconsfields and Oakleighs additions to get it to a 10/10/10/10/8.

Again hopefully the club can find some humility in the future.

Untrue and incorrect. 100% East Burwood approached the EFNL to be promoted citing an number of reason why staying in Div4 would be detrimental to the club.

No its this year 2 clubs are relegated from Div 3 purely caused by East Burwoods unprecedented promotion after losing the 2019 Grand Final as division 4 are a team short. Next years mass relegation is to fix the divisions with Beaconsfields and Oakleighs additions to get it to a 10/10/10/10/8.

Keep hating, clearly, there are multiple versions of what happened. I was told that the EFNL approached all clubs requesting that if they want to go into Div 3 to put in a submission in writing to request to go up to Div 3 stating why. I was then told no other club put in a submission other than EB. As for the 2 up 2 down or whatever they call it. It can't be all one club's fault.

Pretty sure crowd behavior at The Basin was talked about on here a while back.

I'm told the EFL had some people at the ground on Saturday and they were... less than impressed. A drunken group of U19s and Reserves, abusing umpires and the opposition with a megaphone.

Can't say I've heard of that before!

Statement gone to all clubs today telling them to control their crowds.

I'm told the EFL had some people at the ground on Saturday and they were... less than impressed. A drunken group of U19s and Reserves, abusing umpires and the opposition with a megaphone.

Alcohol is the issue with a small minority of idiots from all clubs. Megaphone? Next level Abuse and if the EFL had people there and that's the best they can come up with it's a pretty pathetic response.

Last edited:
Keep hating, clearly, there are multiple versions of what happened. I was told that the EFNL approached all clubs requesting that if they want to go into Div 3 to put in a submission in writing to request to go up to Div 3 stating why. I was then told no other club put in a submission other than EB. As for the 2 up 2 down or whatever they call it. It can't be all one club's fault.

Yeah the League approached Div 4 clubs after your club approached the league. But it was orchestrated for a single outcome. It came from nowhere, it wasn't on any agenda during the season at all. Was never mentioned, no div 4 or div 3 club was informed that there would be 2 clubs promoted to Div 3 that year until East Burwood put the request in to go up after losing the GF.

And even if another club had of applied they never would have been promoted ahead of East Burwood. Lets just be honest about this, if East Burwood had won the GF do you really think there would have been another team promoted to Div 3 that year?

Why do clubs allow this? I remember a group used get around Ferntree Gully with a megaphone back 15 or 20 years ago before they cleaned everything up down there.

True Adock EB did approach the EFNL in being promoted after their loss against Fair Park in the GF in D4.Fully understand why EB approached the EFNL and their reasons were valid,dominated D4 that season but lost the game you must win,fears of loosing players to higher division clubs etc.Have reservations about the call for them to be promoted that year but to be promoted this season again not winning a premiership last year I struggle with.Perhaps I am old school,win a premiership and promoted,finish bottom relegated.

True Adock EB did approach the EFNL in being promoted after their loss against Fair Park in the GF in D4.Fully understand why EB approached the EFNL and their reasons were valid,dominated D4 that season but lost the game you must win,fears of loosing players to higher division clubs etc.

Most people in that division thought it was 3 horse race. All 3 teams, East Burwood (14-2), Coldstream (13-3) and Fairpark (12-4) would have been worthy premiers, i actually thought Coldstream were the team to beat but credit to Fairpark they hit the right form at the right time and destroyed Coldy in the prelim.

All teams had a % over 200 and all three teams had a 1-1 record against each in the season. I watch Fairpark get robbed at East Burwood the first time by 2 points due to an off the ball umpiring decision that put them in front (the player who got the free had no idea what was happening) for the first time with 30 seconds left. If that hadn't of happened all teams would have finished 13-3 which is how the season felt.

It wasnt like they won every game and then lost the big dance. I still think thats the one Coldy let slip, even though thats hard to justify when you lose a prelim by 100 points.

Did the EFL make the right decision? They think they did, anti-EB people say they didn't, and most not all at EB people say they did. To me and sure I am biased the results speak for themselves. In the same position, every other club would have done the same thing. EB has come back after nearly folding and sure I understand people loved kicking us when we were down as that is the passion of football. I am not alone in enjoying the club being a club again, we've gone from about half a dozen people in the rooms / at a game to being busy again. Love us or hate us it's good for community football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EB in Div 2 seems about right to me. The idea of promoting and demoting is to get even football games that are interesting to play in and fun to watch. I think that is what we have in Div2.
How this occurred is totally irrelevant and if 2 of the bottom sides get demoted then they will be more competitive in a lower division.
Seems to make sense to me (do you think Oakleigh players and supporters are having fun this year ???).
And just to annoy the anti- EB couple of posters, they were clearly the best side in Div 3 when they took the promotion to Div 2 as when they had in a full squad they easily despatched Warrandyte in the last game before Covid shut it all down.

EB in Div 2 seems about right to me. The idea of promoting and demoting is to get even football games that are interesting to play in and fun to watch. I think that is what we have in Div2.
How this occurred is totally irrelevant and if 2 of the bottom sides get demoted then they will be more competitive in a lower division.
Seems to make sense to me (do you think Oakleigh players and supporters are having fun this year ???).
And just to annoy the anti- EB couple of posters, they were clearly the best side in Div 3 when they took the promotion to Div 2 as when they had in a full squad they easily despatched Warrandyte in the last game before Covid shut it all down.
Plus EB didn't get to play the bottom team that Warrandyte played. EB also played Donvale (3rd) twice and Waverley Blues (4th) once. Warrandyte did not play against either of those teams at all.

Last edited:
Two big games today next week.
Mulgrave v Boronia and Ringwood v The Basin.
The results will either widen the gap between the top four and the other 6 teams or bring 6 teams into finals calculations.

Last edited:
We were clearly the best team in Div 4 in 2018 but just couldn't win a final.
We were clearly the best team in 2019 in Div 4 too, but we just lost the Grand Final.
We were clearly the best team in 2020 even though no one played but if they had of, we would have been so good!
We were clearly the best team in Div 3 in 2021 sitting on 7-3 and losing to Warrandyte, Waverley and Ferntree Gully. But we beat Warrandyte in the last game of the year after 2 lock downs, when everyone knew the season was effectively cooked. This is proof of bestness.

WE ARE THE BEST!! CHUCK OUT THE REST!!

Day of ups and downs at EB. The Women remain undefeated with a win over Coldstream at Coldstream. Rams reserves suffer their first loss against Knox and the Senior Rams win comfortably, except for bad kicking. No wind, and kicked 13.20.

Last edited:
The gap between the top 3 and 4th is widening. 3 games between 3rd and 4th now.
Interesting that the Basin was going to beat Ringwood (re Pod Cast). My thoughts are the bigger ground opens them up and they prefer playing at home on the smaller ground. In round 1 the Basin lost (home). Round 2 lost (away) Round 3 a draw (home), Round 4 lost (away) Round 5 won (home) Round 6 won (away). Round 7 won (home) Round 8 lost (away) Round 9 won (home) Round 10 lost 9 (away). Their away record isn't that flash. They get to bounce back next week at home.

Interesting that the Basin was going to beat Ringwood (re Pod Cast). My thoughts are the bigger ground opens them up and they prefer playing at home on the smaller ground. In round 1 the Basin lost (home). Round 2 lost (away) Round 3 a draw (home), Round 4 lost (away) Round 5 won (home) Round 6 won (away). Round 7 won (home) Round 8 lost (away) Round 9 won (home) Round 10 lost 9 (away). Their away record isn't that flash. They get to bounce back next week at home.
My feelings as well. I'm hoping they don't make the finals and get to play on the small Mitcham ground for that reason. With EB, Boronia and Ringwood all in the same Division, it's unlikely they will play finals on any of those grounds.

My feelings as well. I'm hoping they don't make the finals and get to play on the small Mitcham ground for that reason. With EB, Boronia and Ringwood all in the same Division, it's unlikely they will play finals on any of those grounds.

Who said D2 will be on the MCG of the East Walker Park.Finals venues have not been announced I thought.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Division 2 thread 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back