D4 Division 4 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard when we'll be seeing the new draw?

Surely it isn't that hard to create a draw where everyone plays each other twice :drunk:

West Brunswick v North Brunswick granny with the west to be premiers.

For mine, Hawthorn & West Bruns were miles above everyone else last year (including, ironically, Northern Blues and EP).

Obviously Hawthorn & WB will be right up there this year, but to predict D4 ladder positions at this time of year is akin to tipping the Top 5 for The Conference in England.

Draw has been released. Here is round 1.
Chadstone vs West Brunswick
Point Cook vs Dragons
Canterbury vs Westbourne Grammar
Manningham Cobras vs North Brunswick
Hawthorn vs Box Hill North

Draw has been released. Here is round 1.
Chadstone vs West Brunswick
Point Cook vs Dragons
Canterbury vs Westbourne Grammar
Manningham Cobras vs North Brunswick
Hawthorn vs Box Hill North

That is the simple way to fix things, but how does that affect the fixture down the line? From round 2 onwards are there many differences?

That is the simple way to fix things, but how does that affect the fixture down the line? From round 2 onwards are there many differences?
There are differences, but not major. We had to go 6 rounds before our first change.

I remember playing Westbourne in D3 the year they were promoted (and perhaps we were relegated), that was a good long while ago. 7 or 8 years? I'm not sure.
Anyway, they were a pretty scary proposition back then. I was surprised to see them land back in D4.

In terms of D4 blokes having the quality to play for $. We've had blokes at WB who could easily have earned good coin. A certain bloke who went from D4 premiership to VFL is playing country footy now back where he was a kid. He's well compensated.
Before I started playing at WB I was offered $300 a week by an Eastern League team. That wasn't exactly 2014 dollars either. I wasn't much good. I played D3 reserves for WB in my first year.
I reckon there's lots of blokes who could go from D4 to modest coin elsewhere, and a few who could go to decent coin. I like playing ammos though because the guys who are motivated by that go, and the guys that stay are in it for what I believe are the right reasons. I'd never begrudge anyone leaving a VAFA club for coin though. Having footy pay the rent would be a powerful temptation.

Good luck for the season y'all. See you out there.

For mine, Hawthorn & West Bruns were miles above everyone else last year (including, ironically, Northern Blues and EP).

Obviously Hawthorn & WB will be right up there this year, but to predict D4 ladder positions at this time of year is akin to tipping the Top 5 for The Conference in England.

I have my doubts over Hawthorn,unless they have fixed their pace issue I can't see them being a good finals side.
Picking which sides you think will play off is a bit different to trying to predict ladder positions.
Some people are fence sitters,some people are not scared to make predictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Point Cook is still a very young and developing club.
Being one of the very few VAFA clubs in the western suburbs, they are always going to struggle to recruit players from the local area, as i'm sure Westbourne is well aware of.

The west is an area where juniors all grow up playing WRFL, and a surprising majority of people dont even know what the VAFA is.
Most would be aware now that the success of Werribee in the VAFA was still not enough to stop them from re-joining the WRFL this season. They too struggled to stop players chasing money or wanting to go play with or against their friends in the WRFL.

With the WRFL adding a range of new teams last year to its competitions, it has made the pool of players to choose from in the west that little bit harder. And obviously these new clubs are going to poach from existing teams.

The quality of D4 is a lot higher than i ever imagined it to be, after also playing WRFL D1. But there are definitely players that are worth cash and are lured away. Point Cook are not just loosing experienced players to other local clubs, but also their juniors. These juniors are not just leaving for money but also for the chance to play at higher grades such as VFL.

Point Cook is no comparison to the club it was in its debut year, there are no signs of older players trying to squeeze one more year of footy under their belt. It is full of young and developing players. I would expect it to take a few more years before they start to climb through the VAFA ranks, however with the installment of a new coach and implementation of a decent game plan, it will definitely happen.

Another big name to leave Allard Park. Very interesting. . .

North Brunswick AFC - PEGS Football Club - Ghasimzadeh, Sahand - Pending
2014-03-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back