Do Geelong deserve to host every home game + home final at Kardinia Park?

Should the Cats be playing every home game at Kardinia Park?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like a good time to revisit this thread. The capacity at Kardinia Park is now 40k and the Cats are still playing home games + home finals in Melbourne. What's the go?

I would say yes if the Dogs were allowed to pick Marvel. But aren’t.

49,000 packed in like sardines with only 5000 seated -v- a state of the art facility with 35,000 seats?

Why quote 2010? We are now in 2024
State of the art... now you're really stretching. They couldn't even make it symmetrical! Apart from that I don't see a retractable roof, a retractable pitch, heated seating,...

Face it... it's a boutique stadium that will probably be out-dated sooner rather than later and with the state so far in debt the pork-barrelling that saw it built and will be required to update and renovate won't be there.

I used 2010 figures because, if you'd read my post properly, that's what was supplied on Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:

the next redevelopment stage, prior to next batch of elections, should be to knock down the 20 year old Hickey Stand and widen the ground and build a stand completely over the road, ie road becomes a tunnel

yes it will cost money but its a marginalseat
If you ever get the chance to grab a seat in that stand, especially on levl B or front of level C, do it.

With that being the narrower wing it is seriously the best view anywhere in the AFL I recon. (Except perhaps day games with sun issues)

If you ever get the chance to grab a seat in that stand, especially on levl B or front of level C, do it.

With that being the narrower wing it is seriously the best view anywhere in the AFL I recon. (Except perhaps day games with sun issues)
oh yeh no doubt.
i always wondered if they removed level1 seating, allowing a 3-4 m widening, could be done - that way level 2 wll be amazing to view from as you are right there and up and even closer - prob lose 2000 seats?

Last edited:
State of the art... now you're really stretching. They couldn't even make it symmetrical! Apart from that I don't see a retractable roof, a retractable pitch, heated seating,...

Face it... it's a boutique stadium that will probably be out-dated sooner rather than later and with the state so far in debt the pork-barrelling that saw it built and will be required to update and renovate won't be there.

I used 2010 figures because, if you'd read my post properly, that's what was supplied on Wikipedia.
I'm talking about facilities. Have you been there since the new stand opened? Have you ever been there?

Of course it's a boutique stadium. They all are in comparison to the MCG and Optus in Perth. But it is Geelong's home ground, and I am eternally grateful that Geelong's management told the AFL to pi55 off at the turn of the 21st Century when it was strongly proposed the Cats relocate to what is now Marvel Stadium.

Anyone who has watched Welcome to Wrexham will know just how important it is for a city with a football team to be based in the city. If Geelong FC wins the city wins. The two are inextricably linked.

Not the same thing. You also need to reward the members within that.

The above is kind of why the whole Grand Final at MCG is a big issue. If Geelong playing at Kardinia is a advantage worth keeping, then playing at the MCG is a advantage worth getting rid of yeah?

Why demand 1 advantage instead of the main one? Some shoddy contract above the ethics of the game?

Trust me if Geelong not playing games at the MCG to gain more games at KP was an advantage - you would take that every single day of the week

I'm talking about facilities. Have you been there since the new stand opened? Have you ever been there?

Of course it's a boutique stadium. They all are in comparison to the MCG and Optus in Perth. But it is Geelong's home ground, and I am eternally grateful that Geelong's management told the AFL to pi55 off at the turn of the 21st Century when it was strongly proposed the Cats relocate to what is now Marvel Stadium.

Anyone who has watched Welcome to Wrexham will know just how important it is for a city with a football team to be based in the city. If Geelong FC wins the city wins. The two are inextricably linked.
They do, but they don't. Everything is bloody shut in Geelong by the time the footy is done. There's money and jobs thrown away IMO

Yes they do.

There of course need to be some minimum standard of quality and capacity for an AFL ground - and Kardinya Park meets that imo.

All these nuffies who squawk out "they should have made it 80,000 or 100,000 seats, missing big games at KP is on them" have NFI about the cost of achieving and maintaining such capacity, the feasibilty of required infrastruture upgrades, and so on. For what would be at most a handful of instances a year where that capacity could be utilised. Otherwise just empty seats, space, train lines, etc. that need year round maintenance.

Games sell out and fans miss out on tickes. Happens all the time.

I have not attended since the redevelopment, but considering we've played there three times in the past 13 seasons I don't think that is unreasonable. I've attended games there before then however. I'm sure it's lovely and the people of Geelong are very happy with it. I'm also happy that Geelong told the AFL to pi55 off. I'm even all for Geelong playing all their H&A games in Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Tasmanian stadium will supposedly only have a capacity of 23,000

I'm guessing if they earn a home final it will be played there. And that's a brand new AFL stadium being built to the AFL's requirements.

So the capacity should not be a reason for Geelong to be denied home finals at Kardinia

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Geelong deserve to host every home game + home final at Kardinia Park?

Back