Do Geelong supporters cringe?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dogs have an excellent team who took it up to Geelong tonight. But to suggest that Geelong have 5 players who are "favoured" by the umpires is just sour grapes.

Geelong have about 5 players who are very good at 'milking free kicks' from soft umpires. To suggest otherwise is either bias on your behalf or totally ignorant.

The main one i see is to dive forward with arms out when being tacked, sometimes even dropping the ball cold. Ducking the head when being tackled is another favourite.

As i said before, it was a MUCH better game when the umps grew some balls and let play go on!:thumbsu:

Re: Geelong - a month in the tackle...

While the thread has gone completely off the rails - the OP makes a good point (even if it has been made before).

After tonight's game I fail to see how it is possible to receive a 'holding the ball' decision against these blokes.

Get spun 360 degrees, no problem - 'he eventually disposed of it in some fashion'.

Run 10 metres with the ball and get tackled; no problem - 'the ball spilled out'.

And should they find themselves taken forward in the tackle to any degree whatsoever; no problem - 'look despairingly/lovingly at the umpire and you can have a free kick for that too'.

Sickening to watch.

And no matter how desperately Cats fans try to defend/deflect this, clearly the issue has been noticed by many football followers of all allegiances, AND tonight proves it can & does influence the result of games.

But the exact same thing was happening when the Bulldogs were tackled :confused:

The umpires interpreted the game the same way for both sides, do you just not notice when it's a Bulldogs player?

Seems likely to me.

I thought the worst umpiring decision was the missed free kick to Harry Taylor when Brad Johnson held his arm. This resulted in a bulldogs goal.

If footy followers open both eyes (that includes you whinging hawthorn supporters) then you'll find that the free kicks tend to even out.

The thing I really don't like about Geelong is about how they have a cry to the umpire if they don't get a free and they think they deserve one or if they give away a free. The look of astonishment on their face just makes me laugh. They think they should get everything their own way, well most of the time they do.

That's because they're so used to being looked after.

Geelong have about 5 players who are very good at 'milking free kicks' from soft umpires. To suggest otherwise is either bias on your behalf or totally ignorant.

The main one i see is to dive forward with arms out when being tacked, sometimes even dropping the ball cold. Ducking the head when being tackled is another favourite.

As i said before, it was a MUCH better game when the umps grew some balls and let play go on!:thumbsu:

You didn't see a few doggies players doing the exact same thing?

Let's get this baby to 20 pages

There were some shocking decisions made last night, but like the majority of posters here I got sick of the Cats sucking in for soft as frees with play on getting called when the reverse happened.
Still cats played some good footy and the doggies had the chance and didnt take it.

My favourite Geelong stage from tonight was Chapman deliberately taking the ball over the boundary line, but disguising it as an in-the-back free kick that he should have gotten. Talent is one thing, but it also takes hard work and dedication to truly master a craft.

Kudos to a team that takes every professional inch they can.:thumbsu:

(also kudos to the umps for not falling for their cheating, squibby tactics)

Could it have been a well disguised attempt to take the ball over the line? That's how I saw it anyway.

You're really angry aren't you, it's pretty funny. I've been away from this website for a whilee, it's helped me to notice how a great side always eventually turns everyone into haters. It's a credit to Geelong that it took this long really.

Could it have been a well disguised attempt to take the ball over the line? That's how I saw it anyway.

You're really angry aren't you, it's pretty funny. I've been away from this website for a whilee, it's helped me to notice how a great side always eventually turns everyone into haters. It's a credit to Geelong that it took this long really.
Nah I always hated em

That's exactly what I said, tweaker. He disguised it by 'receiving' a push in the back.

And no, I'm not angry. I'm simply paying respect to Geelong for being masters at cheating for free kicks, and for manipulating the umpire by continually staging.

They are a credit to the game...:thumbsu:

Every club has them......just not as many or as successful at doing it. It also helps that Geelong players are generally first to the ball!

Zing.

The fact is, yeah we have players who stage for frees. And because there is so much focus on the Cats being "the benchmark", people are going to study their games like a fine tooth comb and pick out any little grey areas and blow them up into a bleating 10 page thread whining about how the umpires wuv the Cats sooo much.

But watch another game just as closely and i guarantee u will see exactly the same stuff. But whats the point of starting a similar thread about say, Melbourne staging - not going to provoke the same reaction is it. Tall poppy syndrome is alive and well...

Selwood has become expert at ducking once tackled and getting a free kick for too high.

On an unrelated topic, **** Harry Taylor is shit under pressure.

On an unrelated topic, **** Harry Taylor is shit under pressure.

Thats because he is playing the easiest position in the AFL. Loose man on the half-back line. A position Luke Hodge and Joel Bowden have made famous.

I'll excuse Hodge from this as he does know how to go in for the hard ball, but Taylor and Bowden turn to water at the slightest hint of pressure. Their skills don't hold up ... Hodge's do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm.....it seems that this is the now weekly 'Geelong only win because of the umpires' thread, in which half of the posters are Hawthorn supporters.

Boring :rolleyes:

Carry on with the bile, chaps....

But the exact same thing was happening when the Bulldogs were tackled :confused:

The umpires interpreted the game the same way for both sides, do you just not notice when it's a Bulldogs player?

Seems likely to me.

Now thats not true...

There were two 50's given to Geelong for holding the man for too long after he had disposed of the ball...

I think it was Ling who held someone for too long (you could hear the umpire even say "you held him for way too long mate")... and it was only a 10m downfield...Bucks said something about this too

It makes me cringe I'll tell you that much

No offence, but given the team you support i find it highly unlikely that you were "neutral" watching tonights game. And seriously, what are you suggesting exactly? That the umpires have all got together and decided to give Geelong an easy ride? Please! Do you know how bizarre and paranoid that sounds? Or how much it belittles the fact Geelong are winning games with such record breaking frequency? Geelong have made it to 9-0 with a serious injury list. That is a decent achievement, and deserves better than being put down to bad umpiring. I realise this is big footy, but come on man!
In last nights game geelong pretty much got every kick that was there.
Thats great. It's how it should be. The Bulldogs on the other hand did not, and all too often.

AA selectors are seduced and the media are seduced, by a very good team. No reason why umpires cant be subconsciously seduced as well.
Watch the game again and you will see it for yourself.
You might suggest it is the team i support clouding my vision, but the boards are full of similar sentiments from all other supporters as well.

I am not saying it is why you win, just explaining the frustration of others cause its hard to cop when such a good team stages for free kicks and the umps fall for it, not to mention the umps not seeing what is there for the opposition as much as they should/could.

I have no doubt that umps would be instructed to look for scragging etc against Geel players. I have no problem with this. They look. They pay the kicks. Sadly they forget that Cats do it as well and a lot of kicks dont go the other way. Furthermore they look so hard for it, that they pay them when they are not even there. (glaring example in 1st q last night, and another in GF when Scarlett fell over himself and ump just assumed it was Buddy who made it happen!)

It definitely was an average display of umpiring. Geelong are a great side and I respect that but I don't respect the umpires for favouring them. Geelong should stop worrying about staging and focus on the game because it takes away from their talent.

When Barry Hall gets mauled by his opposition and yells to the ump for a free, I cringe. No point in whinging, just get on with the game. I would imagine Geelong supporters will get to that when their luck runs out with the umps.

Crap! It changes momentum, Geelong are great exponents of using soft frees to get the ball back in hand and set their structures up.

Except their kicking for goal. And gablett crying.

m.

Fair dinkum, there must be Hawk Supporters that cringe and shake their heads about some of the Hawk-lead bleating & trolling on this whole website. :rolleyes:

These flogs must hate Geelong more than they love Hawthorn. :thumbsdown:

Wheres the 10 page thread on Drew Petrie???

No one noticed his Oscar winning performance to win a free before Half Time?

I think most people in this thread have acknowledged that every side has players that do the odd dive. Nobody likes it. The point is Geelong have a few players that play in a way to draw umpires attention and these players do it every week like it is rehearsed.

Hmmmm.....it seems that this is the now weekly 'Geelong only win because of the umpires' thread, in which half of the posters are Hawthorn supporters.

Boring :rolleyes:

Carry on with the bile, chaps....

Now I'll agree that's a bullshit argument to make. Geelong win because they're a great side. The umpiring is a side issue that may make 2-3% difference. When they win most games by 10 goals it can't really be said to be the making or breaking of them.

Just a few observations on last night's game, and umpiring in general:

- Geelong do have some players who accentuate contact, or duck into tackles, I won't deny that, but there are players at every team who do the same thing. But if umpires are going to fall for it and pay free kicks, then the players will keep doing it. Is it really the player's fault for doing it, or the umpire's fault for falling for it?

- Most games have 50-50 decisions that could go either way, but usually these even themselves out over the course of the game. Seems like most people who have posted in this thread are of the opinion that all the 50-50 decisions last night went Geelong's way. As a Geelong supporter, it'd be biased of me to suggest that wasn't the case, but if it was the case, then, again, it isn't the fault of the Geelong players, but rather the umpire's interpretation of each particular incident.

- The way the rules are written promotes a lot of grey areas in the interpretation of the majority of them. What one umpire might consider as a free kick, another umpire might think is fair play. Another problem is the positioning of the umpire to the contest. While those in the crowd, and those sitting on their couches watching at home will see a contest differently from an umpire who is positioned either behind the pack or side on. I'm sure there's never a decision where 100% of the crowd agrees with, and that's partly due to the allegiances of the supporter, but also the angle they see the contest from. Don't know about anyone else, but there have been times when I've been at a game and disagreed with a decision, only to see a replay of it on the scoreboard from a different angle and think "well, the umpire got it right after all."

So, in essence, what I'm saying is that the umpires are only human, and they can only adjudicate what they see, and how they interpret it according to how they comprehend the wording of the rules. Very little of it has to do with which teams are playing IMO.

Yay. Another thread about Geelong only winning becuase the umpires love them.
Not at all. Geelong are clearly head and shoulders above the rest at the moment. It doesn't alter the fact that they got the best end of the stick from the umpires on Friday. I really didn't care who won and enjoyed the game but in my view the Bulldogs were hard done by.

If Geelong are favoured by the umpires, who's driving this? is it the AFL, Geichen, or do you believe money is being exchanged by the club directly to the umpires?

Or maybe just maybe, (this is going to seem way out there compared to the above very likely scenarios) that because geelong have been winning a lot lately everyone is barracking for the opposition, (which is fair enough, we all love the underdog) so we only see the decisions that go against what you want as being wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Geelong supporters cringe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back