Do MCC members also buy club memberships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alistair

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
As an MCC member, I personally cannot justify the costs of buying a club membership as well. As much as I would like to support my club financially, I'm not going to cough up the extra few hundred per season when we play most of our games at the MCG. Plus - I'm a Melbourne Victory member in "that other football code" and it all adds up when the invoices roll in each season.

Who else is in the same boat? Do you cough up the dollars for both memberships or do you only pay for your MCC card? What is the rationale behind your decision?

I recall a proposal a season or two back that would allow MCC members to become 'paid up' members of the Demons by essentially donating a fee (between $30 and $60 I think), which would give you the basic supporter's pack, membership card and voting rights. It was a token more than anything else, but it's something I would defintely do if introduced for my club down the track.

I pay a full membership for both. It's only fair.

At least I know that I've done all I can to help out the footy club I love, as well as ensuring I have access to all the sporting events at the G. Best of both worlds.

I recall a proposal a season or two back that would allow MCC members to become 'paid up' members of the Demons by essentially donating a fee (between $30 and $60 I think), which would give you the basic supporter's pack, membership card and voting rights. It was a token more than anything else, but it's something I would defintely do if introduced for my club down the track.

Richmond offer an MCC Tigers Membership. Basically gets you into Telstra Dome matches, and still a member of the Tiges. About $120. I get that.

I have an MCC membership, and a Hawthorn MCC Associate Membership. It's just an 11-game membership, and I think they know that its no benefit, so you are elevated to social club membership, so therefore first access to GF tickets if you get there. Again, its a paradox though, because you could go with the MCC membership anyway. About $140, i think.

I just see it as giving a donation to the club.

On a slightly separate note, I signed up on the MCC waiting list in 1999. How long does it generally take to get partial membership? I am in Perth now, but could be living in Melbourne later. Is there anyway I could put the membership on hold when I eventually have the right to purchase one?

As for the club memberships, well being an eagles supporter it would be hard but I guess I could always buy an away membership if I lived in Melbourne.

• Banned
On a slightly separate note, I signed up on the MCC waiting list in 1999. How long does it generally take to get partial membership? I am in Perth now, but could be living in Melbourne later. Is there anyway I could put the membership on hold when I eventually have the right to purchase one?

As for the club memberships, well being an eagles supporter it would be hard but I guess I could always buy an away membership if I lived in Melbourne.

My parents put me on the list around 1990 I think and I was not offered restricted membership until 2004/05.

About 15 years is the accepted waiting time to be offered restricted membership.

You can defer restricted membership until you are offered voting membership (which can be 5+ years), but once you're offered voting membership you must take it up (and pay the whopping great joining fee in one hit) or you will drop off the list.

One of the advantages of restricted membership is that it allows you to pay the joining fee in two instalments - once when you get restricted membership and the remainder when you take up voting membership.

I'm have MCC, Essendon and North Melbourne memberships.

With Essendon, I just get the standard Bronze, but I only use it for Dome matches.

About 15 years is the accepted waiting time to be offered restricted membership.

You can defer restricted membership until you are offered voting membership (which can be 5+ years), but once you're offered voting membership you must take it up (and pay the whopping great joining fee in one hit) or you will drop off the list.

One of the advantages of restricted membership is that it allows you to pay the joining fee in two instalments - once when you get restricted membership and the remainder when you take up voting membership.

Thanks for the info. I still think signing up for only $20 8 years ago was a great idea. Who knows where I will be in 7 years time. Especially considering I was originally from Gippsland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond offer an MCC Tigers Membership. Basically gets you into Telstra Dome matches, and still a member of the Tiges. About $120. I get that.

Yeah Essendon do offer a similar MCC option, I've purchased it for the past few years. I get entry to all our Telstra Dome games (inc. Away games) & have also included a reserved seat for our TD Home games.

They charge my CC about $17 a month for the Membership and reserved seat, so I don't even notice it. Still get all the fringe benefits like Bomber magazine, etc...

...I'm not going to cough up the extra few hundred per season when we play most of our games at the MCG...

we play seven home games at the dome and four home games at the G. plus 4-5 away games at the G, 1 - 3 away games at the dome and 3 - 5 interstate.

previously i have bought a reserved seat ticket with my old man for essendon home games at the dome and G. although next year we are thinking of only getting the dome games since i can normally get him into MCC on a guest pass.

so the answer is yes :)

Yeah Essendon do offer a similar MCC option, I've purchased it for the past few years. I get entry to all our Telstra Dome games (inc. Away games) & have also included a reserved seat for our TD Home games.

They charge my CC about $17 a month for the Membership and reserved seat, so I don't even notice it. Still get all the fringe benefits like Bomber magazine, etc...

yeah mate I have one of those. It is a special EFC membership for MSS members only and gives you only 7 home games at the Telstra dome or you can purchase a home and away membership for the dome.

My membership only cost me about $110 and I have full voting rights. It is brilliant...

I have for the last 3 years.

I know that being a collingwood supporter we play 16ish games at the G and I'm wasting a lot of money, but is worth it when it comes to voting rights, finals tickets if we play away from the G.

Plus I trend have a few drinks at half time with mates that are collingwood members, so we head to the socal club.

Received MCC membership 17 years ago and jumped on board the Hawks in '99 - doubt I'll let either slip.

Have used both this year depending on who I'm going with.

Prefer the seating arrangement of the MCC members but love the atmosphere in the Hawk members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do MCC members also buy club memberships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back