Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are just very poor at trading, we trade out qaulity players for peanuts. We then trade in b grade players and pay overs. Even our drafting is poor. Cant remember our last draft success outside of father son picks or academy
How the **** did we win the flag?

There's a degree of common sense. I'm sure at the start of the year you would've said North are a few years away from a flag.

Less to do with "common sense" and more to do with reading a trend whilst being very selective about the data.

Footy isn't predictable like that. We might be crap for the next 10 years or we might be contending in '26.

Less to do with "common sense" and more to do with reading a trend whilst being very selective about the data.

Footy isn't predictable like that. We might be crap for the next 10 years or we might be contending in '26.
We will be contending in ‘25.

28 isn't relatively young

27-28 is when most players peak.

Would you be happy with 26? 24? It's an arbitrary figure.

Take Pendles, Sidey, & Howe out of the group and the club has money to spend on free agents.

The list can look very different in a couple of years.

There's cause for optimism.

It might be hard to do that after losing 4 games straight but I don't believe the club is in dire straits.

Chance we could trade next years first to enter top 10 this year? Given we need points next year anyhow?

Question not a rumour or a statement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We might be able to determine if Hiney reads Big Footy. If there is one really adamant No then that has to be Hiney.

I'd like us to be bold in 2025

McCreery always as a mid
Reef always as a mid
(and make him shadow the hardest working / fittest player at the club over the entire off season)
Ryan always as a mid/wing
Eww I don’t wanna see McCreery anywhere near the midfield

27-28 is when most players peak.

Would you be happy with 26? 24? It's an arbitrary figure.

Take Pendles, Sidey, & Howe out of the group and the club has money to spend on free agents.

The list can look very different in a couple of years.

There's cause for optimism.

It might be hard to do that after losing 4 games straight but I don't believe the club is in dire straits.
Collingwood is never uncompetitive for long periods of time.
A year here a year there.
We always bounce back.

Cue the smartasses who will reply with facts to prove I may be wrong.

… and Tom McGuane

I was watching a review on Tom Mcguane. Looks highly rated for next years draft and was talked about having similar traits to Nick Daicos.

Maybe we trade next years first for a first this year and a bunch of picks to use for points next year (this may send supporters into meltdown talking about trading a first again 😂)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching a review on Tom Mcguane. Looks highly rated for next years draft and was talked about having similar traits to Nick Daicos.

Maybe we trade next years first for a first this year and a bunch of picks to use for points next year (this may send supporters into meltdown talking about trading a first again 😂)
They are changing bidding system so junk picks can’t be used for first round picks, the Gold Coast debacle of last season was the last straw. They just haven’t released the details yet

Or we hold it until we see where we might land next year and trade it then..? Rival clubs won't pay for the pick assuming it is a lower pick, and we've bet wrong on our future ladder position both times when we've sold it.

We are just very poor at trading, we trade out qaulity players for peanuts. We then trade in b grade players and pay overs. Even our drafting is poor. Cant remember our last draft success outside of father son picks or academy

Very poor traders?

We traded in the following players who went on to become Premiership players for us:

• Crisp
  • Howe
  • Hill
  • Frampton
  • Cameron
  • WHE
  • Lipinski
  • Mitchell

Add Adams and McStay if they weren’t injured for the GF.

Yes we clearly do

Dekka still doing an amazing job according to many on here though. Mind boggling he still has any fans. Some real Stockholm syndrome stuff
It’s Fraser’s fault the VFL performances are trash. Not the recruiter that’s had two acceptable draft since 2007.

Edit: was one but feeling generous and giving him 2008 as a pass too even if the second best player we took in that one is better remembered for being a bit of an embarrassment on “celebrity” Big Brother.

Our under 25 list is expected to be light given we've been contending for effectively the last 6 years and also throwing away our first round picks in trades when we've had down season (2021/2024). But we have our trump card in Naicos. Not many other sides would have a <25yo player the quality of Naicos to build around (ie guaranteed multi-AA quality):

Sydney: Gulden
Port: Butters
Freo: Serong
Brisbane: Ashcroft
WB: Darcy/JUH
WC: Reid
GC: Anderson/Flanders
North: Sheezel
GWS: T Green maybe
Carlton: Maybe Walsh if he stays injury free
Geelong: No
Melbourne: No
Richmond: No
Hawthorn: No
Ess: No
Saints: No
Adelaide: No

I don't think we need a big rebuild, just a 2004/2005 style two years (excluding this year given we threw away our first rounder) bottoming out before we re-emerge again as contenders:

• KEEP our two future first rounders (1 likely to be T Mcguane) as they become the new elite young core to grow with.
  • 2025: Trade out a 2nd rounder or two for a not yet established high end talent like a Hill, Henry, Caldwell type.
  • 2026: Trade out a 2nd/3rd rounder for a older gun underutilised talent that's getting pushed out from their side like a Mitchell, Adams, Grundy, Treloar type.
  • 2026: Sign a gun FA ideally KPF
  • 2026: Potentially trade out a future first for a gun (2027 will be first year of Tassie compromised drafts)

Then we'll be back in business for 2027.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back