Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Faith in Bevo , well its up to the players now. they had a go tonight , won and that makes Bevo's job look a little safer, however I'll wait and see how the players go over the next few weeks. see if this was the dogs proper start to the season or if it was a flash in the pan effort. still undecided.

My opinion hasn’t changed and one win doesn’t paper over the cracks.
It may be your standard dead cat bounce and some papering of the cracks but we made some really good changes to the way we went about things tonight - maybe this was what we needed for Bevo to pull his finger out of his ass? We know he’s capable.

But yeah we need to see a sustained period of change for me to change my mind, we just need to be 4-2 from here now and I’ll very very happily reconsider

Tactically I still thought we were awful. I have no idea what our offensive plan is. We don’t stream forward. We don’t spread and make space to kick and mark. Always guaranteed to provide the opponents main interceptor with the game of his life. It’s just slow and stale.

Confidence is a wonderful thing so hopefully that gives us a bit.

There is a little glimmer of heart but I’m marking this game down as one that hasn’t swayed me either way.

Tactically I still thought we were awful. I have no idea what our offensive plan is. We don’t stream forward. We don’t spread and make space to kick and mark. Always guaranteed to provide the opponents main interceptor with the game of his life. It’s just slow and stale.

Confidence is a wonderful thing so hopefully that gives us a bit.

There is a little glimmer of heart but I’m marking this game down as one that hasn’t swayed me either way.
I thought our ball movement from half back was fine, we had a good mix of using the corridor when it was on and trying to get the overlap on with quick footy, but also used the outlets on the wing at times too. But anything from the centre onwards is a mess, our system forward of the ball is non existent. But it’s a base to build on, with our marking targets we just have to prioritise quick, direct footy through the corridor, if it doesn’t come off so be it but it has to be our main avenue to goal when we have our marking targets up there. I’d still like to see our forward line hold position and not get dragged up the field, we need to learn to hold our structure forward of the ball

Naughton up the ground like he was much of Q4, and JUH playing closer to goal seemed to work ok. Lobb (or whoever is the 3rd tall) needs to lead their defender to separate all the KPDs (he does present repeatedly to his credit), but also provide some cover for JUH or Naughton in marking contests if the f50 is crowded. Liam Jones did it twice tonight beautifully in defence (once for English, can't remember who the other was for), not an illegal shepherd, just body work appearing to also go for the mark, but your sole intent is to shield your team-mate and block the defender. Bruce probably handier in f50 in the past for this, but hopefully with more games, Naughton, JUH and Lobb learn to work together with more cohesion. Apart from his height, not sure Darcy has the core strength at this stage for that role.

I’m wondering, would it be possible to have a “Confirm” option added to this poll so that if you’ve made an earlier choice, but now want to confirm it, you are able to reflect that your vote now remains unchanged?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tactically I still thought we were awful. I have no idea what our offensive plan is.
Really?
We've shelved handball club to a clear kick in lieu of handballing forward for a momentum play.

It's a clear shift in tactics. It started last week but we were much better at it last night. Plus Timmy a kick behind the play to block opposition exits so any intercept mark didn't get a clear release kick.

They seem like pretty significant adjustments that at least make things more difficult for the opposition.

Great to get a win, much improved effort from the team, but it wasn’t great foopy and the Bears are big fail energy in Melbourne. Thought our zone was a bit more effective in denying the easy switch and corridor. The ball movement and setup ahead of the ball were still very rough.

Yeah, exactly. Lions seemed to struggle to find targets in the corridor so defense looked to be much improved. Few players who were down had great games (Richards, Jamarra, Macrae) plus an excellent captain’s game. English also continued his good start to the season, Baker’s been a good pickup so far and I thought the KPDs were pretty solid.

Still some really poor decisions and kicks from guys you’d expect better from (I’m looking at you Dale and Daniel), and we’re missing quality small forwards. It’s an improvement but will need to be sustained over the next few weeks for the season to stay alive.

Yeah, exactly. Lions seemed to struggle to find targets in the corridor so defense looked to be much improved. Few players who were down had great games (Richards, Jamarra, Macrae) plus an excellent captain’s game. English also continued his good start to the season, Baker’s been a good pickup so far and I thought the KPDs were pretty solid.

Still some really poor decisions and kicks from guys you’d expect better from (I’m looking at you Dale and Daniel), and we’re missing quality small forwards. It’s an improvement but will need to be sustained over the next few weeks for the season to stay alive.
We're really missing Weightman. He's become such an important player for us

We're really missing Weightman. He's become such an important player for us

Would be good if Clarke comes on quickly and warrants a debut this year.

Forward line of Naughton (if he can sort out his woeful kicking), Lobb (hopefully builds into the year), JUH, Weightman, Clarke and Jones - if the latter two can justify their places - could be a lot more balanced. We are missing crumbing and pressure forwards right now.

I should add I'm not a big draftee watcher or particularly dedicated to watching the VFL, so I'm suggesting the above from a place of ignorance. But theoretically the mix could work better than what we have now.....

Really?
We've shelved handball club to a clear kick in lieu of handballing forward for a momentum play.

It's a clear shift in tactics. It started last week but we were much better at it last night. Plus Timmy a kick behind the play to block opposition exits so any intercept mark didn't get a clear release kick.

They seem like pretty significant adjustments that at least make things more difficult for the opposition.

Our choices regarding preseason games, in hindsight, set us back so much. Intraclub + north is about as easy mode as it gets, and it meant that it took us until rounds 1 and 2 to really see how dire things were and for the wake up call to be made.

Glad some adjustments were finally made, although we did get lucky to an extent with Brisbane's inaccuracy (although we missed some shockers as usual also).

Better, but we haven't done well at the G since 2016 and our season is still on such a knife's edge. I also wonder how much of that running and pressure we brought last night is sustainable, as that can waver, but keep on turning it over like we have rounds 1-3 and we won't be playing finals. We aren't running a defensive forward to prevent intercepts and it's making it difficult with how poorly our mids are connecting to our forwards.

I think the idea of playing up to 4 talls was to stop intercept marks against us, and it hasn't worked. We have had to adjust.

I'm not sure going into the season with half of a pre-season game (north barely counted) compared to other clubs having two games is a mistake we'll make next year.

I've been one of the many doomsayers over the past couple of weeks and I didn't give us much (any!) chance to beat the Bears. I think we won this one more on endeavour than a superior game plan. Anyway, a win is a good win but the question remains, where was this effort in the past 2 games? Happy to hold fire on Bev's future and keep a keen eye on how we go tactically.

Our choices regarding preseason games, in hindsight, set us back so much. Intraclub + north is about as easy mode as it gets, and it meant that it took us until rounds 1 and 2 to really see how dire things were and for the wake up call to be made.

Glad some adjustments were finally made, although we did get lucky to an extent with Brisbane's inaccuracy (although we missed some shockers as usual also).

Better, but we haven't done well at the G since 2016 and our season is still on such a knife's edge. I also wonder how much of that running and pressure we brought last night is sustainable, as that can waver, but keep on turning it over like we have rounds 1-3 and we won't be playing finals. We aren't running a defensive forward to prevent intercepts and it's making it difficult with how poorly our mids are connecting to our forwards.
Our preseason schedule of an intraclub + game vs the wooden spooners looked bad at the time and worse in hindsight once we didn't show up in the first two rounds.

Really?

Our two attacking weapons at half back seemed to have a much more aggressive positioning through the middle of the ground.

Prior to last night I had the sense that Richards and Dale have been positioned a little too deep and defensively over the first two weeks. This stifled their creativity something that saw them run around in circles looking for an out.

Having not been to a game, I can't say if any of this is accurate or it if it was a consequence of the opposition not putting the requisite work into them. But sitting at home I felt that their shackles had been loosened and they had much greater freedom of movement.

Either way, its something Ive been calling for over the last couple of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Back