Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a result based business. Pressure is still firmly on the club. Lose and we get closer to the 1-5 where he absolutely gets the sack. Need to back up the performance with a win next week
The nature of the two losses aside, I think starting 1-2 would have been about expected externally for this side coming into the season given our draw (Melbourne a loss, St Kilda a win, Brisbane a loss/50-50 based on preseason odds).

Agree that what happens over the next few weeks will be telling.

If last nights showing is anything to go by, we’re going to be more difficult to score against , but we’ll find it difficult to score more than 80 and we’ll be difficult to watch.

The Lions never got a decent run of scores against us, and I feel that’s when we’ll struggle . If a team gets 4 or 5 in the run that’s when Bev will have to earn his breakfast.

If Beveridge had a chance for input about whether Bont should get some ink, and failed to say

"maybe don't get it yet mate, have a bit more of a think about it"

And Bont ultimately reveals a Stringer-like design, they're both dead to me.

Leon Cameron/Aaron Naughton captain/coach anyone? :)

Really?
We've shelved handball club to a clear kick in lieu of handballing forward for a momentum play.

It's a clear shift in tactics. It started last week but we were much better at it last night. Plus Timmy a kick behind the play to block opposition exits so any intercept mark didn't get a clear release kick.

They seem like pretty significant adjustments that at least make things more difficult for the opposition.
In addition to that ...

I haven't checked out the pressure gauge in OG's stats post yet (I'm sure it'll be in the post mortem thread somewhere) but the defensive pressure was up enormously compared to last week's performance by the Western Witch's Hats. There were lots of tackles - good hard wrap-up tackles sometimes from two players, none of those feeble grasping gestures as the opponent sprinted by - plus plenty of close attention and pressure on the ball carrier.

It's not just the effect it has on the confidence and composure of the opposition, it also creates a positive and aggressive mindset in our own players. So it's a positive feedback loop. Instead of being flatfooted we were on our toes and ready for action.

What we still don't know (and may never know) is why all of that was so sadly lacking in the first two rounds. In the absence of anyone fessing up we are left to conjecture. Perhaps it's best left that way, now that we have turned things around somewhat. Onward and flagward.

Said it last week after the Brisbane win, nothing has changed. A shit Brisbane away from home doesn’t mean anything has changed for us.

Still cannot defend run ons
Still cannot defend transitions

Sooner we sack Bevo the better, a coach who has some god damn defensive sense would be great.

That second quarter - actually only the second half of it - surely has to be enough for the board. Even the worst teams in the comp don’t concede several goals in that manner in that space of time, but this team do it regularly.

He has to go. Now.

That second quarter - actually only the second half of it - surely has to be enough for the board. Even the worst teams in the comp don’t concede several goals in that manner in that space of time, but this team do it regularly.

He has to go. Now.
Sadly our board sucks Bevo farts. Unless the fans demand change nothing will.

Based on what? In the past few years we've chased Stef Martin (twice) and Soldo
I am 100% convinced he was overruled on the Stefan Martin recruitment. Rich was such a glaring issue in 2020 that the football department collectively concluded that they simply had to recruit a big ruck.

Since he turned out to be a mostly crap recruit, now the coach gets his way again.

yes-jack-nicholson.gif

Woke w***ers. FK the dogs, Bevo , the entire board and most the players. they are that desperate for members they call a digital Kayo subscription a membership package. - haven't been a real club since the mid 90s. now that is out of my system I feel much better. just pissed off I actually gave the club money in 2020-2021 .

Should have been an easy win if we're honest, Tigers played 10-15 minutes of good footy and we were still only able to just beat them with a bunch of injuries. It was lucky they went on their run before half time if we didn't have that break I don't think we win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s never lost the players by the look of it, and that was an excellent grinding win. Except it didn’t need to be. Conceding seven goals in around half a quarter is ludicrously bad, and it happens semi-regularly now.

He’s got his fingerprints on a list build where fairly decent top level talent is being dragged down by sub-standard players in the bottom six, who are consistently picked over better players.

Failing to rectify fundamental failings in the game style should see the back of a coach, no matter what their CV is. I don’t think the club will do it, but they absolutely should. That win just papers over the cracks.

Said it last week after the Brisbane win, nothing has changed. A s**t Brisbane away from home doesn’t mean anything has changed for us.

Sooner we sack Bevo the better, a coach who has some god damn defensive sense would be great.
So brendon McCartney then he’s defensive.

I am 100% convinced he was overruled on the Stefan Martin recruitment. Rich was such a glaring issue in 2020 that the football department collectively concluded that they simply had to recruit a big ruck.

Since he turned out to be a mostly crap recruit, now the coach gets his way again.
What? We chased Stef twice - the first time was 4 years before we got him.

Said it last week after the Brisbane win, nothing has changed. A s**t Brisbane away from home doesn’t mean anything has changed for us.

We kept Brisbane to 3 goals in 3qtrs last week and Richmond to 4 in 3qtrs this week.

We’ve been outstanding defensively the last two weeks. It’s been our drop in workrate and pressure that’s seen us concede multiple back to back goals in that time.

Strange thing to be angry about considering it’s one of the most improved areas of our game.

We kept Brisbane to 3 goals in 3qtrs last week and Richmond to 4 in 3qtrs this week.

We’ve been outstanding defensively the last two weeks. It’s been our drop in workrate and pressure that’s seen us concede multiple back to back goals in that time.

Strange thing to be angry about considering it’s one of the most improved areas of our game.
Yes, we've improved in stopping complete shootouts, but we are still allowing teams huge run on's on goal with no way to stop momentum, that's what I was getting at during my mid-second quarter rage like everybody else. We keep opening up the door and allowing teams to get back into the game (And get ontop) and yet we haven't come up with a way to stop it, and it's not like a new problem.

Stop pretending you're the recruiting staff.
His not, it's fairly well documented that the Dogs chased Stef Martin a couple of years before we got him, his come out and said it. We chased Soldo two years ago as well, during Tim's development years we looked for another mature ruck to take over so it wasn't all left to Tim as rucking was a very clear issue for us, now that Tim has ''matured'' the need isn't there and instead we chased Lobb to fill that fwd/ruck relief that we didn't have.

After two or three goals in a row to opposition, I would like absolute best midfield in the centre regardless of ‘rotations’. Bont in the middle not rotting/starved in forward line. Maybe Naughton back for 5 minutes? Tag the most dangerous player/players who are red hot, even if tagging is not a thing anymore. Don’t be arrogant and ‘back out system, just be bloody dour for a few minutes to stop the bleeding, take the excitement out of the opposition and then reset and go again.
This is apparently where Joel Corey helped win us the 2016 premiership by getting Bevo to play Libba on Josh Kennedy and quell his influence.

He has to go. Now.
Yes let’s sack him. And bring in who? Don’t say Yze. He couldn’t get a position over Brad Scott and Kingsley.

Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but in his press conference after the Richmond game he referenced the fact that he has been trying to add more ruck depth the whole time he's been coaching.

Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but in his press conference after the Richmond game he referenced the fact that he has been trying to add more ruck depth the whole time he's been coaching.

He only truly wants a second English type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Back