Does anyone else find it hard to take Matty Knights seriously...

Remove this Banner Ad

That is exactly what I was talking about. Hardwick was right, Knights was wrong, but Knights won the job because the Essendon board (and many of its fans) didn't want to face the harsh reality that Essendon's list needs a long rebuilding phase before the club can challenge for flags again.

I repeat my request: show me a transcript of a Knights presser or interview where he goes back on his word and admits that Hardwick was right all along about "Essendon's glaring problems/needs"?

Can you show me a transcript or factual evidence that proves this to be correct?

He's not Sheeds but he is by no means making any wrong moves so far.

Doesn't matter if he is or isn't. Sure Sheedy will be remembered as one of the all time great coaches and rightly so, but a lot of the football we have played over the last 3 years has been garbage, fact is we were in need of a change.

This sums up Matthew Knight's coaching career at Bendigo Bombers:

First Elim Final 2007:

Bendigo North Ballarat

7.3.45 1.5.11
13.8.86 4.8.32
16.14.110 10.19.79
16.15.111 21.22.148

How the hell did this turkey get a job :eek:

what an odd post...no relevance, intelligence, or any merit whatsoever. Just an oblique reference to a single game.

Your anti-Essendon bias is almost pathological matey, I actually wonder whether you have some massive insecurity issues given your own club? It's all I can think of

You weren't at that game were you? :rolleyes:

Oh, and on topic.... Knights has a 100% AFL coaching record which is the best of all current AFL Coaches. :thumbsu:

That statement is just as relevant as this entire thread.
No I wasn't at the game. What happened?

I just looked at the scoreline and found it bizarre :D

what an odd post...no relevance, intelligence, or any merit whatsoever. Just an oblique reference to a single game.

Your anti-Essendon bias is almost pathological matey, I actually wonder whether you have some massive insecurity issues given your own club? It's all I can think of
Mate I have to take issue with that.

I'm anti everyone :D

Unless you didn't notice, Essendon have been in a rebulding phase for the last 2-3 years now, the amount of list turnover is proof of this. It doesn't necessarily take 6-7 years to rebuild a team. (Port are a good example of this.) Just because he haven't been tanking like your mob and Sheeds decided to pick up some older, experienced players to mentor the younger guys (most of whom have retired/been delisted now anyway) doesn't meen that we haven't been rebuilding.
LOL.

Rebuilding with Michael and Camporeale who were recruited as thirty year olds just to mentor the young players.

That's considered a youth policy at Essendon.

Hardwick has a good footy brain and would have an honest outsiders opinion of your list since he wasn't coaching Bendigo in the VFL.

So why would he say he was planning for a four to five year rebuild when he's impartial and wanted the job?

He's a former Bomber who would know their list inside out and isn't an idiot.

Knights pissed in their pocket and told them it was raining with his view it would only take two to three years to rebuild Essendon's list. He would have harmed his chances if he had been honest and said they're four to five years away after he had played a part in their development as footballers. It's still an interesting selection to appoint your reserves coach as senior coach when he was an assistant during the low point of Sheedy's coaching career. Whatsmore, tt's more questionable than appointing Judd as Captain when Bendigo haven't had any success and Knights "resigned" as coach of the Port Magpies in the SANFL by "mutual consent".

We shouldn't have a problem with the appointment as long as Essendon think they're rebuilding and are only two to three years away from being a force under Knights. The Bombers and their playing list should provide the AFL with plenty of entertainment in the next three years. Essendon's administration and football department were flawless in the way they handled Sheedy's departure and Knights' appointment.

Kepler was Bendigo's Best and Fairest player last year.

This sums up Matthew Knight's coaching career at Bendigo Bombers:

First Elim Final 2007:

Bendigo North Ballarat

7.3.45 1.5.11
13.8.86 4.8.32
16.14.110 10.19.79
16.15.111 21.22.148

How the hell did this turkey get a job :eek:

I was there that day.

No bench by 3/4 time and 2 players on the ground injured during the final term. No coach can control that.

I was there that day.

No bench by 3/4 time and 2 players on the ground injured during the final term. No coach can control that.

Not to mention that most of the injuries were to the AFL listed players, leaving the slack to most of the Bendigo listed (unfortunately lower standard) players.

LOL.

Rebuilding with Michael and Camporeale who were recruited as thirty year olds just to mentor the young players.

Hardwick has a good footy brain and would have an honest outsiders opinion of your list since he wasn't coaching Bendigo in the VFL.

So why would he say he was planning for a four to five year rebuild when he's impartial and wanted the job?

Knights pissed in their pocket and told them it was raining with his view it would only take two to three years to rebuild Essendon's list. He would have harmed his chances if he had been honest and said they're four to five years away after he had played a part in their development as footballers. It's still an interesting selection to appoint your reserves coach as senior coach when he was an assistant during the low point of Sheedy's coaching career. Whatsmore, tt's more questionable than appointing Judd as Captain when Bendigo haven't had any success and Knights "resigned" as coach of the Port Magpies in the SANFL by "mutual consent".

We shouldn't have a problem with the appointment as long as Essendon think they're rebuilding and are only two to three years away from being a force under Knights. The Bombers and their playing list should provide the AFL with plenty of entertainment in the next three years. Essendon's administration and football department were flawless in the way they handled Sheedy's departure and Knights' appointment.

The older players that Essendon took were to balance out the fact that the list of kids we were recruiting needed some experienced hands around them. There is no point of recruiting a bunch of kids if there aren't experienced players around to show them the ropes.

Michael and Campo both have filled needs for us in their time there. In Mal's case, it has allowed us to find and nuture our next fullback (which is likely to be rookie-listed Danny Chartres) and Campo has helped the likes of Stanton and co develop their kicking technique. In fact, you could say their recruitment has hastened the development of the Bomber kids.

The trouble for Hardwick was more related to the fact there is still a little bit of bitterness of his departure from the club a few years ago. Throw in the fact that he has NO coaching experience. We wanted a coach to have a level of senior coaching experience, not just be an assistant coach.

LOL.

4-5 year contract instead of 3?

The fact is they are two peoples opinions.

Time will tell who was right and who was wrong.

Time will also tell if the Ratman is any good.

LOL.

as well as drafting and promoting as many kids bar Hawthorn, thanks for caring

He may not be an idiot but you sure are. He hasn't been at the club in years but he would know all our youngsters inside and out?

How does anyone know how long it should take to rebuild a list, if someone wanted to take 4-5 years i'd be bitterly dissapointed, especially if they wanted to trade club champions like Scotty Lucas.

How has he had no success at Bendigo when they played finals twice with an average list?

Yeah, they were actually, they interviewed 18 different coaches and picked the one who could identify what needs imrpovement. Thankfully not the coach who wanted to bottom out for 5 more years and wonder in the wilderness, what guarentees are there that Hardwick's plan would work out?

something you actually got right, fortunately he wanted to leave

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Hardwick knew our list inside and out, despite not being at the club, or having anything to do with the club for the previous 6 years!!!

Hardwick was advocating a Hawthorn/St Kilda/Carlton/Richmond rebuild where he would be happy to rape the list, trade away club champions, destroy all morale in the changerooms, to ensure a number of draft picks, and numerous bottom 3 finishes and ever so hopefully numerous priority picks be obtained to help the rebuild.

Has this rebuild been successful for any of Hawthorn/St Kilda/Carlton or Richmond yet...and it is unlikely to be apart from maybe Hawthorn.

Why exactly would we be falling over ourselves to recruit a coach who whole plan for success was complete and utter mediocrity for 4-5 years?

Clubs like Port Adelaide, Brisbane, North Melbourne are showing that there is no need to bottom out for a number of years to build a list capable of challenging for a Flag...so how dare we recruit a coach who states he feels he is also able to do this!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

christ this place will be fun if knights manages to string a couple of early wins together

if he doesnt, well thats all thats expected no?

cant lose really

Everyone has to start somewhere even Sheedy did so give him a go. You don't finish top 10 in the Brownlow 4 times if you don't know football. Probably the same sort of feelings when Clarkson started at Hawthorn and he has turned out to be a fair coach.

Being a great player has never ever been a great indication of coaching ability in any sport usually its the players who struggle not the 'Natural Stars' that turn into coaches. Don't see Lockett or Ablett running around as Coaches? Clarkson fits into the role as does Jeans, Micky Maltshake, Sheedy etc etc infact there is own one really great player coaching Brisbane out of 16 teams, and 2 good to very good players in WC and Sydney

Surely you dont think Bring-Back-Powell is even half as obsessed with Essendon as he is with North.

Read his sig for starters! :thumbsdown:

Not as hard as I found Chris Connolly to take. That 'Crazy John' comment was one of the most ridiculous I have heard, we still love you though Connolls

LOL.

That was considered a youth policy by Sheedy my friend

Hardwick - so he's an outsider, who knows the list inside out? Which is it? I would have thought that the insider would know the list better, and you would trust their opinion more than the outsider. But hey - that's just my whacky ideas.
FFS for years Sheedy was giving games to Henno, Zantuck, Alvey, Bolton - and doing semi-ok. Knights comes in reckoning that some of the youngsters he has under him at Bendigo are better than that lot. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else find it hard to take Matty Knights seriously...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back