Does Geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL?

Does geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL??

• Yes

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Uhuh- well- I’d have thought that, aside from Hawthorn, every other team still in it, is ahead of Geelong in warranting scrutiny for their performances in this finals series.

Not even questionable. Like literally stupidity for anyone to suggest otherwise.
No one except Damo Barrett had Cats top 4. Most journos and "experts" had them out of the 8.

Pressure level would be 7th out of the 8 teams in it as they just won in 2022.

Only Hawks get a better "Playing with house money" scenario because no one had them making Finals either and they haven't played a Final in 6 years.

The Selwood Dynasty 2007-2022 did us fine.

This is where our bromance ends, the Selwood dynasty is not a true dynasty!!!
Almost as ludicrous as Richmond thinking they have a dynasty when they lost to Collingwood in 2018 :p
You need to threepeat for a true dynasty and the Chicago Bulls, Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn Hawks are true dynasty teams ;) :D.

This is where our bromance ends, the Selwood dynasty is not a true dynasty!!!
Almost as ludicrous as Richmond thinking they have a dynasty when they lost to Collingwood in 2018 :p
You need to threepeat for a true dynasty and the Chicago Bulls, Brisbane Lions and Hawthorn Hawks are true dynasty teams ;) :D.
You might be right actually, I think the Richmond guys were happy with "Selwood Empire". An empire stands the test of time, while those who had a little 3 year run can have some pride as well.

I'm glad we had this chat. :)

Cats midfield is certainly not at the level of most of the other finalists. The two differentiators they have is:

• their flankers and the way they are used
  • Scott (the pr1ck can coach).

The wildcard is Dangerfield. I don't think the Cats can win without him playing to his best. His finals record isn't great (this has been done to death so please let's not derail this thread with a blow by blow description of each of his finals) but he has played some good games. So if he's on, will make things interesting.

Cats midfield is certainly not at the level of most of the other finalists. The two differentiators they have is:

• their flankers and the way they are used
  • Scott (the pr1ck can coach).

The wildcard is Dangerfield. I don't think the Cats can win without him playing to his best. His finals record isn't great (this has been done to death so please let's not derail this thread with a blow by blow description of each of his finals) but he has played some good games. So if he's on, will make things interesting.
Dangerfield had poor finals against Richmond, yes, but his overall finals record is strong. Kudos to you for wanting to make a false claim and then not have it shut down, but it doesn't work like that.

Yes, the Death Star did not survive b2b movies. They blew up in spectacular fashion.

Scott (Darth Vader) also threw Thompson (The Emperor) into the abyss.

How? By winning the same amount of flags and somehow keeping the team competitive long after he’d gone?

It’s actually not that bad a comparison now that I think about it. He had more power than his processor ever did realistically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was, and now I’m gonna be dead right when you get bundled out of finals. Enjoy the losses, can’t believe I get to see Geelong lose 2 finals in one season again 🥳

Sooooooo.

Skratch Labs Apple Cider GIF by Skratch Labs

Dangerfield torched them, Atkins neutralised them and Holmes was BOG as a midfielder in the time where the game was there to be won.

Stewart has been our second best midfielder when played there too.
Does Shaun Mannagh count? 23 touches, more than half of them between the arcs, 3 goals, 3 goal assists: seems like even our half forwards pinch hit ok when they go in there

Dangerfield torched them, Atkins neutralised them and Holmes was BOG as a midfielder in the time where the game was there to be won.

Stewart has been our second best midfielder when played there too.
Line up any other midfield on paper outside of maybe WCE and most of the Cats mids would struggle getting a look in. Miers, Close, Mannagh etc make up for that with absolutely elite work up the field essentially providing an extra 3-4 mids at the contest. The best half forward line there is atm.

With that said, the Cats midfield fortunes pretty much rely on the hamstrings of a 34 year old former superstar. He was as amazing tonight as JHF, Rozee and Butters were rubbish.

I was, and now I’m gonna be dead right when you get bundled out of finals. Enjoy the losses, can’t believe I get to see Geelong lose 2 finals in one season again 🥳
1725540326713.png

Line up any other midfield on paper outside of maybe WCE and most of the Cats mids would struggle getting a look in. Miers, Close, Mannagh etc make up for that with absolutely elite work up the field essentially providing an extra 3-4 mids at the contest. The best half forward line in the game.

With that said, the Cats midfield fortunes pretty much rely on the hamstrings of a 34 year old former superstar. He was as amazing tonight as JHF, Rozee and Butters were rubbish.
yeah Geelong sucks we get it

Line up any other midfield on paper outside of maybe WCE and most of the Cats mids would struggle getting a look in. Miers, Close, Mannagh etc make up for that with absolutely elite work up the field essentially providing an extra 3-4 mids at the contest. The best half forward line there is atm.

Paper schmaper.

We send a half forward as an extra at the stoppage, tonight it was Mannagh or Miers. 23 and 21 disposals tonight - they aren't doing that as classic forwards. They're part of the midfield mix.

Dangerfield and Holmes the 2 dominant midfielders on the ground. Atkins the pressure animal, who has actually had a really decent 6 weeks offensively. Bowes and Bruhn the blue chippers who also have their classy moments. Mannagh and Miers the silky outlets. Then Stewart (missing tonight) who was racking up plenty of coaches votes during his time in midfield.

I get that you need to double down on opinions you presented through the year, but Geelong's midfield has been good over the past 9 weeks outside of two halves - first half against Footscray, and second half against St Kilda. They torched the best midfield in the comp tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Geelong have the worst midfield in the AFL?

Back