Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

pre match didn't want a brave loss, yep got the brave loss, margin a little flattering (though expected score apparently 79 v 79)

just some frustrated thoughts:

too many games where cannot halt teams on a goal spree run, and it doesn't matter our team makeup or where opposition is on the ladder...Pies 6 in a row, then
5...StKilda 8 !...Richmond 7....Melbourne 6...Carlton 6....Geelong 6....Gold Coast 5...GWS 5

we kept them to just 45 'Inside 50s' but opposition efficiency is nearly always better than ours

the bad - Treloar, coughed it up too often for his talent
the good - Weightman was a ripper

We went from 5 goals 1 and looking good to being 7 goals 7 and struggling to stay in the game.

Kicking 2 goals 6 is a terrible outcome and all too common for us. We lose scoreboard pressure and players get no reward for hard work so the effort drops.

It also leaves the door open at all times for the oppo to get a sniff.

It is killing us week in week out. Look at all of our good wins and they correlate with better goal kicking.

Caleb is a star
Gardiner very honest.

Vdm looked ok and has scope as a defender. Poulter surprised me.

Still think VDM moves forward when JJ returns but Bevo will have other ideas
  • Move Richards to forward pocket
  • JJ to half forward flank
  • Keep VDM back, in fact move him to a key position post and drop Gardiner
  • Bring back the McComb factor to replace VDM in back pocket

Just finished watching the game (I live in Europe) after chasing the kids around all day.
Lots to like (forward line, Richards and VDM back) ... BUT,
  • McNeil's hands are not clean enough
  • Treloar coughs it up too much
  • Williams does not go hard enough
  • Smith low on confidence (last Q was better)
  • JUH should have kicked 5
  • If Gardner is out ... we need to try 'Buss'
PLUS West should always get a game before Scott, McNeil, Baker ... he is a pure footballer. If he is dropped again 'I'll spew up!'
I think 'McNearly' is better than 'McSteal' for McNeil's nickname.

We’re now 2-5 against the current top eight teams, 2-6 if you include Geelong (9th) and 3-6 if you also include Richmond (10th). Our only wins being against Brisbane and Adelaide in VIC who do not travel well, and Richmond who are the worst team in the top 10.

We were 3-7 against other top eight teams last year, 3-8 if you include the final v Freo.

Our footy just does not stack up against the top teams - whether it’s defensive game plan, coaching, poor kicking for goal and out of defense, lack of pace, too many poor players in our bottom six etc. or a combination of some/all of these.

We grind away for 2-3 quarters but get blown away in a short period and can’t stop momentum. The game was lost in the third quarter when Collingwood looked streets ahead of us.

Getting into the eight, which I’d expect we do from here, will cover up the cracks again imo. We’re currently ill-equipped to beat 2-3 top teams in a row.

No pragmatic person could argue with this assessment. It’s not about being a negative fan or going after the coach or anyone else, the proof is in the pudding. We haven’t finished top 4 once under Bevo and that is not sone stroke of bad luck. It’s a combination of a number of factors, many of which have not been addressed and if they are not addressed, will result in more teams and the game itself continuing to pass by the WB football club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

just because posters point out particular negatives e.g. smith, Juhs kicking etc doesnt mean they are being overly negative.

i was happy with the performance in general but i like to point to areas of improvement/ weaknesses, particularly straight after games

just because posters point out particular negatives e.g. smith, Juhs kicking etc doesnt mean they are being overly negative.

i was happy with the performance in general but i like to point to areas of improvement/ weaknesses, particularly straight after games

Exactly right. A lot of us pay good money every year for the right to question things that require improvement.

Wow , that is an amazing stat if true.
I don’t know how many he put down the throats of Collingwood players.

His game last night was bloody awful !
The most important stat is that they got 7 goals to 1 from stoppages. A lot of that is on English. Interesting to hear Bevo mention of the 12 centre clearances we won, 10 went straight to the Pies after we took first possession

The point that stings is that it shows we can play against better sides but lack the quality to play consistently for 4 quarters.

Including last night, against Suns, Port (marvel) and the Cats (marvel) they were all winnable games with the same issues surfacing in each game

I’ve said this time and time before that a lot of the problems, IMO, come from Bevo’s insistence to play players out of position
I know people say we cannot compete with the better teams, and maybe we cannot. But we seem to forget that we were in for a chance in MOST of our losses. But there is also an alarming trend....

vs Demons, down by two goals deep into the third quarter. But they kicked 6 of the next 7. Our worst loss of the season and we were probably never in this one. They had a period where they scored 13 goals vs our 4.
vs Saints, down by less than a goal early in the third quarter. Then got blown away for the rest of the third quarter. We couldn't score in the second half. They kicked 9 goals to our 1.
vs Port Pt1, led by almost two goals early in the fourth. Then they ran over us for the rest of the game. Game was finished off when they had a quick 3 goal surge.
vs Suns, down by a point or two, entering junk time in the fourth quarter. They got the last goal to kill off the game.
vs Cats, led half way through the third quarter by two goals. They run away and kick the last 6 goals of the game.
vs Port Pt2, down by less than a goal 10 mins into the third. Gave up three quick ones. Goal for goal the rest of the game, but we were not able to reel them back in. The damage had been done.
vs Pies, led early in the third. But that was wedged in between two 5 goal runs either side. Probably the worst two quarter periods we have played all season in terms of goals for vs against.

We just seem to come out worse after half time. Is it fitness? Not keeping them players switched on right during the break? Opposing teams come out with plan B, and we don't? Teams go on big surges vs us, but we seldom go on big goal runs ourselves. We need to slow the damage down sooner, when teams get a run on, before the games are put out of reach. When we are on fire, we need to be able to translate it into 5 goal runs ourselves more often. Been a few games this season where we have been all over teams and should have been 5-6 goals up. Its a mental battle for teams to grind their way back from bigger margins.

At least our two worst losses of the year were both in the first two rounds. Have not lost by more than 21-22 at the most since. We have found ways to hang in there in most games. But opposing teams hurt us more on the scoreboard when they have the momentum, where we don't do enough damage when the game is on our terms. Need to flip it around.

I know people say we cannot compete with the better teams, and maybe we cannot. But we seem to forget that we were in for a chance in MOST of our losses. But there is also an alarming trend....

vs Demons, down by two goals deep into the third quarter. But they kicked 6 of the next 7. Our worst loss of the season and we were probably never in this one. They had a period where they scored 13 goals vs our 4.
vs Saints, down by less than a goal early in the third quarter. Then got blown away for the rest of the third quarter. We couldn't score in the second half. They kicked 9 goals to our 1.
vs Port Pt1, led by almost two goals early in the fourth. Then they ran over us for the rest of the game. Game was finished off when they had a quick 3 goal surge.
vs Suns, down by a point or two, entering junk time in the fourth quarter. They got the last goal to kill off the game.
vs Cats, led half way through the third quarter by two goals. They run away and kick the last 6 goals of the game.
vs Port Pt2, down by less than a goal 10 mins into the third. Gave up three quick ones. Goal for goal the rest of the game, but we were not able to reel them back in. The damage had been done.
vs Pies, led early in the third. But that was wedged in between two 5 goal runs either side. Probably the worst two quarter periods we have played all season in terms of goals for vs against.

We just seem to come out worse after half time. Is it fitness? Not keeping them players switched on right during the break? Opposing teams come out with plan B, and we don't? Teams go on big surges vs us, but we seldom go on big goal runs ourselves. We need to slow the damage down sooner, when teams get a run on, before the games are put out of reach. When we are on fire, we need to be able to translate it into 5 goal runs ourselves more often. Been a few games this season where we have been all over teams and should have been 5-6 goals up. Its a mental battle for teams to grind their way back from bigger margins.

At least our two worst losses of the year were both in the first two rounds. Have not lost by more than 21-22 at the most since. We have found ways to hang in there in most games. But opposing teams hurt us more on the scoreboard when they have the momentum, where we don't do enough damage when the game is on our terms. Need to flip it around.

This remains the most frustrating part. We definitely have been in a winning position in almost every match this year. The deficiencies that prevent us going on with it in these matches are frequent and historical. I think most posters here want to know when we will see these things rectified and when we can begin to trust this team.

We’re now 2-5 against the current top eight teams, 2-6 if you include Geelong (9th) and 3-6 if you also include Richmond (10th). Our only wins being against Brisbane and Adelaide in VIC who do not travel well, and Richmond who are the worst team in the top 10.

We were 3-7 against other top eight teams last year, 3-8 if you include the final v Freo.

Our footy just does not stack up against the top teams - whether it’s defensive game plan, coaching, poor kicking for goal and out of defense, lack of pace, too many poor players in our bottom six etc. or a combination of some/all of these.

We grind away for 2-3 quarters but get blown away in a short period and can’t stop momentum. The game was lost in the third quarter when Collingwood looked streets ahead of us.

Getting into the eight, which I’d expect we do from here, will cover up the cracks again imo. We’re currently ill-equipped to beat 2-3 top teams in a row.

Perfectly summarised

Not sure we make the 8 we are vulnerable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be that whit this gameplan we rely on Libba, Bont & Treloar to dominate in the middle for us for the whole game to be any chance?
They can't do it for the whole game. Nobody can.
Macrae, Smith, Daniel & West should be rotated through there more often. You would have thought with Dunkley gone , the players mentioned would get more time in the guts. But no, Bevo is too stupid/stubborn to change his gameplan.

Probably nerves playing against his mates. I find it pretty hard to be critical of him, overall he has been fantastic this season and he will bounce back.
He's had a couple of games where his disposal has gone to water. Obviously he's a great player but frustrating sometimes

If we stop missing sitters Bont included.
Bont is captain because he is a great player and leader.
That's why after he missed that goal whole team went into a shell.
If he had of kicked it we win me reckons.

Bont has won us many games.
Needed to mix up the midfield more for Collingwood.
Weightman ,Caleb ,West and Smith should have had more minutes.
In big games Bevo freezes.
Bont's miss was the turning point of the game for mine.

He kicks it and scores are level and we may have gone on with it.

He missed and it went down the other end for a goal.

The momentum shift - onfield and in the crowd - was huge.

Did the commentators reference the non free to Marra? That seemed so obviously from the ground. Also the free against Libba against DeGoey which led to his goal was stiff. He was already on the ground and the ball fell to him. Not sure what he’s meant to do there.
The Cameron throw which directly led to a goal another one, every 50/50 went against us and yeah especially the holding the balls - I lost count the amount of times they pinged us (and Bont) instantly yet once again they can spin, and throw the ball away one handed and all good play on - which really plays into their hands the way they can move the ball from a 50/50 contest inside 50 to a scoring opportunity.

It was infuriating

The Cameron throw which directly led to a goal another one, every 50/50 went against us and yeah especially the holding the balls - I lost count the amount of times they pinged us (and Bont) instantly yet once again they can spin, and throw the ball away one handed and all good play on - which really plays into their hands the way they can move the ball from a 50/50 contest inside 50 to a scoring opportunity.

It was infuriating
Went to the commentary to see what they said about the Jamarra free. Richo saying there was no front on contact 😂

This tweet shows something different:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Back